Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resting heart rate question

My resting heart rate is about 88, 89 , 90. Is this bad or normal? Anyone else have such high numbers? And what do they mean?
Best Answer
27 REPLIES 27

It depends on your age, level of fitness, level of activity etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am 33 and have been pretty active at least 30 min of exercise daily. My average steps are 14k.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@erikab wrote:
I am 33 and have been pretty active at least 30 min of exercise daily. My average steps are14k.

@erikab In medical circles a resting heart rate can be from 60-100. Here is a link from  the American Heart Org.

Mine is typically 54-61 and depending on the temperature of the day or an onset of a cold or throat. We had some 100oF days and the RHR increased a point each day as the weather got hotter. I have found RHR accurate on the Charge HR and my Omron Blood pressure Monitor. is withing 1 beat.  My HR gets down to 41 while asleep.

If you are concerned I would have your GP check you over.

It's amazing how some simple observations trigger a series of events. I was having my annual series of blood tests the other day and we were talking Fitbit and heart blockers, I have a 1st degree heart blocker and is no concern but, surprise, surprise , the nurse who is in her mid thirties has a pacemaker because her Fitbit showed a very slow heart rate, like every 2.5 seconds and she has has a 2nd degree heart blocker.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

A quick search on Google:

A normal resting heart rate for adults ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute. Generally, a lower heart rate at rest implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness. For example, a well-trained athlete might have a normal resting heart rate closer to 40 beats a minute.

Best Answer
Thank you everyone
Best Answer
0 Votes
My resting heart rate has been high recently as well. I've noticed since going back to the gym it's gradually decreasing, but I have the same questions.
Felicia Abernethy-Lloyd - Join the Facebook Fitbit Red Tennis Shoe Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/46579380159704/
Best Answer

I just got a Charge HR last week and notice my heart rate goes down to about 60 when I sleep. But Fitbit says my RHR is about 75, why is that?  OK, I see they for some reason want to use daytime data.. but since I rarely sit still, they aren't really getting a resting heart rate! 

Best Answer

I would view the "resting heart rate" reported on the FitBit app with a great deal of skepticism.

When I'm truly "resting" - ie. sitting quietly, not having consumed caffeine, etc. or recently run up a flight of stairs - my heart rate is a steady 71-72 bpm. Sometimes I can sit and watch it rise three or four beats just from the stress of worrying about my resting heart rate.

But according to the FitBit app - my Resting HR is a (dangerous, IMO) 88-90 BPM. 

Apparently the algorithm FitBit uses to calculate resting heartrates is based on people who have a different lifestyle to mine.

Best Answer

My numbers are that high too. They were in the mid 60's when I was walking 4 miles a day, but I decided to try running 5k and hurt myself and haven't worked out in 4 months. It's slowing climbed to increasing about 20 bpm. Plus I've gained 15 pounds. My resting heart rate alone is enough to alarm me back to getting healthy again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My resting heart rate is 85 bpm, I have read that the normal resting rate is between 60 and 100 but the nearer 60 the better

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my fitbit charger 2 today, and my resting heart rate is : 89 or 90 which is considered normal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is the same, normally high [89-91] but when I go to the gym  [4-5 days a week] it quickly goes down to 83-85... need to keep going so it continues to go down because as soon as I stop it goes right back up!  My BP is always pretty good though 😁

Best Answer

I have read numerous sources which say, "While a resting heart rate of 60-100 is "normal", folks with an RHR in the 80-100 range statistically have a much higher incidence of heart related issues than those below 80, in fact, some maintain 70 or lower is best."

• Suzanne Steinbaum, MD, director of women's heart health at Lenox Hill Hospital says (paraphrasing here for brevity), "Sixty to one-hundred beats per minute is an old standard; many doctors think it should be lower with fifty to seventy beats per minute being ideal.  While it might be okay to have a resting heart rate of eighty, it doesn't mean your healthy."
  • A study published in the journal Heart tracked the cardiovascular health of about 3,000 men for 16 years and found that a high RHR was linked with lower physical fitness and higher blood pressure, body weight, and levels of circulating blood fats. The researchers also discovered that the higher a person’s RHR, the greater the risk of premature death. Specifically, an RHR between 81 and 90 doubled the chance of death, while an RHR higher than 90 tripled it.

Best Answer

Accordingly to Fitbit, my resting heart rate is from 50 to 53, to me is normal. I exercise 6 times a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 52 and my resting rate is usually 80, i feel fine and have low wieght. So I wouldn't worry, your in the accepted range.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit tells me my resting heart rate is 69 to 71 when I wake up.  I'll monitor my heart rate with the fitbit throughout the day and it ranges from 79 to 98 depending on what I'm doing, But even if I'm at my desk and typing away my heart rate will stay in the high 80's to low/mid 90's. Not sure if sitting, typing and talking on the phone is considered resting but it does bother me that I'm not in high 70's low 80's during this time. I'm 59 years old..

Best Answer
0 Votes

@stendeln  RHR is just that., when you are at a state of rest and still, as detected by your Fitbit..  This link will help explain and your pulse rate is within the guidelines for resting HR.

After you sync, what is the RHR on your Dashboard.?. The PC Dashboard is normally 1 bpm higher because of their rounding.

@stendeln wrote:

My fitbit tells me my resting heart rate is 69 to 71 when I wake up.  I'll monitor my heart rate with the fitbit throughout the day and it ranges from 79 to 98 depending on what I'm doing, But even if I'm at my desk and typing away my heart rate will stay in the high 80's to low/mid 90's. Not sure if sitting, typing and talking on the phone is considered resting but it does bother me that I'm not in high 70's low 80's during this time. I'm 59 years old..

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same resting rate as you. I have something called postural orthostatic tachycardia which means my heart rate drastically changes depending on whether I'm sat or stood, in a hot room or outside, etc. Any simple change can trigger it to be honest!

I'm not trying to scare you, just explaining the reason behind my numbers. 

If you get palpitations at all or feel dizzy, you need to get checked out by you gp.

If you see my picture, my rate goes haywire just after the gap which is when I had a shower. The heat changing is the worst for me!A typical rest day for me.A typical rest day for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@stendeln The important thing is your body as @FlossPops posted.. Any signs of giddyness etc..... Off to your Doctor..

@stendeln wrote:

Best Answer