Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condensation on Surge screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have used a Fitbit Surge for about 3 years. I am on my third one during that time period. Each has malfunctioned due to condensation under the screen. This has occurred despite carefully avoiding swimming, showering or otherwise wet environments. However, it is impossible to avoid sweat on the underside if you are a runner, as I am. Love the great Fitbit app, but very disappointed with the water resistance of the Surge. The customer service group offered me a 25% discount on a new one since this one is beyond the 1 yr warranty period. I've reached the conclusion the quality is not there on these devices, so I am parting ways with Fitbit after all these years. Too bad they can't get this device to a quality state, but I can't afford to replace this device every time this condensation issue occurs. It seems it is not an issue that Fitbit is unaware occurs on a frequent basis. I have always run with a Garmin on one wrist and Fitbit on the other. Now will relinquish my Fitbit and run only with my Garmin, which I've used for 4 years with no quality issues. Bye Fitbit Surge, I hope you will someday address this issue for future purchasers.
Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hello, @Surgeuser4! Welcome to the Forums! I'm very sorry to hear about your situation with the Fitbit Surge.The condensation shown in your Surge screen can be caused by the temperature change. For example, when exercising or warming up at your house and then going outside where the temperature is much lower, condensation might form on the tracker's display. 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and for your feedback about our products, this helps a lot because based on it, we try to improve in every batch of new trackers. I'm sorry to hear that you are leaving us, but I understand your frustration too. I hope to see you sometime in the future around here. 

Have a nice week! Man Happy

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought the Fitbit Surge in March 2016, top of the line and was excited to use it.  Just loved, loved, loved it.  It does pretty much what I want and I am a data geek that enjoys the feedback. My Surge showed condensation in 3 months on the screen and I noticed it was showing cracks on the band where it is attached with allen screws. The cracks caused a gap between the unit and band and I assumed that was the cause of the condensation.  No problem, I was happy to have customer service replace quickly and without problems.  I resolved to be more gentle with it and started again.  3 months later the evil condensation started in the replacement Surge.  What?  Called customer service again.  Immediate response.  I questioned if there was something I didn't know and how to prevent the same problem but they were just customer service and not tech support.  3 months later, the screen went black, still synched oddly enough but couldn't see anything and I do use it as a watch.  Called again and immediate customer service response.  Again, I love this product but it has some problems.  The new one came and I cared for this one as though it were fragile china and did not expose it to water or humidity.  Alas, today the condensation started on this one.  Packed it in rice and I called customer support to find myself grilled as though I was doing something unholy with it.  They are kicking it upstairs since it has happened so much.  I'm just using a product that is a great concept with poor execution.  It is obviously not water resistant.  Please fix this, Fitbit! I don't mind being a beta but please don't accuse me of creating problems.  I didn't buy it for show, I bought it to use. I'm thinking a Garmin?

Best Answer

Hello @dywoods! Thanks for joining the Community.

We truly appreciate your feedback and that you took the time out of your day to let us know about this. Please be sure that your comments in regards to the Surge's quality are not going unnoticed. We're always looking for ways to improve.

Please do keep us updated on how it goes, or let me know if you have any questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer