Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting data on second hand Surge

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I've just bought a second hand Surge but the details of the previous owner still seems to on the watch. I've tried restarting it, and have set up an account on the iOS app, and it recognised sing my data, but I'd like the previous users data to eat deleted so that it will be starting afresh with me.
Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

As soon as you set it up it should delete it and tke over for you as long as you use a different email address.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
It should, but it hasn't.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Community Woman Very Happy! To get started:

1. Make sure the Fitbit app is compatible with your mobile device by checkinghttp://www.fitbit.com/devices.
  2. Find the Fitbit app in one of these locations, depending on your device:
    • The Apple App Store for iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads.
  3. Install the app. Note that you’ll need an account with the applicable store before you can download even a free app such as Fitbit.
  4. When the app is installed, open it and tap Join Fitbit to get started. You’ll be guided through the process of creating a Fitbit account and connecting (“pairing”) your tracker to your mobile device. Pairing makes sure the tracker and mobile device can communicate with one another (sync their data).

Note that the personal information you’re asked during setup is used to calculate your basal metabolic rate (BMR), which helps determine your estimated calorie expenditure. The information is private unless you go into your Privacy settings and opt to share age, height, or weight with Fitbit friends.

If you're having difficulty, see I'm having trouble setting up my tracker.

Thanks for jumping up here @WendyB!

Happy stepping guys! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I bought a second hand Surge today (20/6/16) and set it up following the on screen prompts as I installed the app. I joined the Fitbit community today too. Imagine my surprise when it turns out that I logged 15000 steps four days ago!

I did do a workout last Thursday but I don't think I did that many steps and I certainly wasn't wearing this Fitbit surge at the time.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for jumping up here @SavageGardenerOur tracker stores minute-by-minute data for one week. After 7 days, that data is converted to a daily total, which is stored for an additional 23 days. When you sync your tracker, its data is uploaded to your Fitbit.com Dashboard and securely stored on Fitbit's servers. 

It is not possible to delete steps and floors, but you can achieve the same result by negating them:

1. Log into your fitbit.com dashboard.
  2. At the top of the screen click Log > Activity.
  3. Find the data you want to negate by selecting a date range.
  4. In the activity menu, type in "Driving" and enter the duration and start time.
  5. Click Log Activity. Your steps, floors, and calories burned will decrease for the time period you specified.

Fitbit uses your height, weight, and age measurements to properly calculate your stride length (which helps determine your distance), calorie burn, and active minutes.

To delete your profile measurements from your tracker, the tracker must be set up to a different account.  Once a tracker is set up to a different account, it will automatically unlink itself from the dashboard and all of the tracker’s stored data will be permanently deleted from the tracker. 

Hope this helps my friend!

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maria / Fitbit,

I have a similar problem. I just opened my Surge device and when I started my account and paired my device today, I found 154,954 steps, 210 floors, 61.28 miles, and 61,811 calories logged into my account from the device. The dates this occured were Jun 11 - Jun 22, which I didn't even have the device at that time.

I went to my fitbit account dashboard > selected Log > Activities and entered the dates. Although I can see it in the graph, it is not in the activity history area for me to change it to drive (thus removing it from my calculations as you suggested). So, how do i delete this data or get it removed from your servers. Either this was the time when the device was being shipped to my store, or it is someone else's data, either way it's not mine.

Also, it is showing that I've been burning calories 1602 to 1607 daily even without having the device turned on or wearing it, can I change this too?

It would be easier if I could just wipe all data from the tracker and start from scratch.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I found a solution for this problem. 

1) You need to log out of your mobile app and all of your fitbit accounts. 

2) Delete your mobile app and reinstall it. 

3) Set up a new account (different e-mail address and password). 

When you go through all of the steps you already did once with the original e-mail address, but now with a new account assigned to the new e-mail address, then everything resets back to 0 except what you did that day. 

Here is the other possible info that might stay with the device momentarily, FitBit translates the last week's worth of information from their servers and sends it to your account when you sync.  So for all of the information identified in the previous msg, it was about a week's worth of info that was still on the server for the device but never synced to an account.  When I (JD99) created my account, I got what was on the server.

FitBit, perhaps there is a solution for this problem overall. If the server has latent information from a device that has not sync'd for over 30 days, then it should ask if I want to upload this information to my account (as like a preview option); or a baseline question should be asked when setting up the account should be "is this the first time you have used this device," if the answer is YES then the information is automatically wipped from the server, if the answer is NO then the person should be asked if they want to upload the previous information.  JUST AN IDEA.  THANKS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for stopping by @JD99, hope you're doing great! Thanks for helping out my friend @JamieD99Woman Very Happy

Hmmm...this is very weird to me let me say since you're seeing steps on your Dashboard, the calories are expected, but the steps? When you create a Fitbit account, the website uses your physical data (weight, height etc) to calculate your BMR calories.These are the minimum calories you'd need to burn every day to stay alive. It then populates your profile with this calorie burn back for six months or so to give you a sensible baseline against which to compare your future calorie burn once your tracker starts tracking your exercise and adding exercise calories to your BMR calories.

The short answer is that what you're seeing is correct behaviour and the calorie counts re individualised to you. Would you mind to send me screen shots showing your "Activity Log" to see the information (not the calories) that was added once you created your Dashboard?

What you're suggesting @JamieD99 is a way to start fresh since you're creating a new account, but as I mentioned before the calories are expected even if you create everything again.

Catch you later guys! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have fitbit watch and I want to delete my data to give it to someone anyone can help me 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I delete data on my Surge?

Best Answer
0 Votes