Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Map While Running

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello community:

Is it possible to, while your surge is tracking your run, see the map of you run as you are tracking? I know with other fitbits that don't have their own GPS and have to track gps via phone, you can observe the map as you go... I was wondering if this is possible when tracking via the surge itself? That is the only thing i don't like about the surge, because it seems like it would be helpful if I could view the map if I, say, where running somewhere new and wanted to refer to it in case i got lost, etc...

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@CStrzelewicz wrote:

Hello community:

Is it possible to, while your surge is tracking your run, see the map of you run as you are tracking? I know with other fitbits that don't have their own GPS and have to track gps via phone, you can observe the map as you go... I was wondering if this is possible when tracking via the surge itself? That is the only thing i don't like about the surge, because it seems like it would be helpful if I could view the map if I, say, where running somewhere new and wanted to refer to it in case i got lost, etc...

Thanks

Good question; my answer is two-part (disclaimer; I don't run with my phone so I'm guessing here):

1. I expect you'd have to sync your phone with your Surge mid-run to be able to see the map; as such, the map will not be real-time, but pretty close.
  2. What I don't know is whether you can sync your phone while in "Free Run" mode; if you cannot you'll have to end your run, sync with the phone, and then start another run.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@CStrzelewicz wrote:

Hello community:

and wanted to refer to it in case i got lost, etc...

Thanks

do you have your smartphone with you ?

yes ?

in this case, take it, and use localisation and a map application.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello, @CStrzelewicz@shipo, @SunsetRunner! It is nice to see you around. In this case like our good friend suggested, @SunsetRunner, your cell phone can generate a map as you are exercising, if you've enabled one of the "Track my exercise" features within your Fitbit phone app, like MobileRun.

Follow these instructions to enable them on your phone, for iOS:

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the + icon.
  2. Tap Track Exercise, and then tap Track at the top of the screen.
  3. Choose your activity, either Run, Walk, or Hike.
  4. If you want your phone to provide voice cues during your activity, tap Cues to set the voice cues you want to hear, and the frequency and volume of the cues.
  5. If you want to control music from the Exercise screen during your activity, tap Music Control and choose your music settings. During your activity you can skip songs but you can't select a specific song.
  6. Tap Start. At any time during your activity, swipe left to see the GPS map.
  7. When you're done with your activity, tap the Pause button and then tap and hold the Finishbutton. An activity summary shows your steps, distance, active minutes, and calories burned as calculated by the sensors on your phone.​

and for Android

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap the Exercise tile.
  2. Tap the stopwatch icon at the top right of the screen, and then tap Tracking at the top of the screen.
  3. If you're using Android Marshmallow, make sure you grant the Fitbit app access to the requested features of your mobile device. For more information, see Why do I receive access requests from the Fitbit app on my Android mobile device?
  4. Choose your activity, either Run, Walk, or Hike.
  5. If you want your phone to provide voice cues during your activity, tap Use voice cues to set the voice cues you want to hear, and the frequency of the cues.
  6. Tap Start. At any time during your activity, swipe left to see the GPS map.
  7. When you're done with your activity, tap the Pause button and then tap and hold the Finish button. An activity summary shows your steps, distance, active minutes, and calories burned as calculated by the sensors on your phone.​

Let me know how it goes, this should work, however I'm not sure if it would be better for you to leave your tracker at home and just use the App to record the information.Cat Tongue

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes