Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last firmware update for Fitbit Surge

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

How do I update Surge Firmware? I know the current one I have is outdated, but don't see or can't find where to update it. I've gone to the Fitbit  app and Fitbit website?

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

Are you sure yours is not the current one - there hasn't been an update for the Surge for a very long time. The latest version is 16.34.6.1 (see: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1372/ )

There is no way to force an update but if one is available then the app will tell you when you sync and you can respond to that prompt to install the update.

Best Answer
Mine is 34.6.1/ it has been awhile since I updated and assumed there would be anotger . Not too impressed with Fitbit and there updates. I have the ionic and I guess I can forget about that update. There's so much trouble with it and there's never an alert letting me know to update either watch. I have to find out on Fitbit community.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Fitbit has a very nice help site, link to help found below 

A quick search got me this hit.

What's changed in the latest Fitbit device update?

Find out which feature enhancements and bug fixes are available for your device
Best Answer

Thanks for sharing your comments @Trvlbug207, and the steps that you've tried until now. Good to hear that you are using the Fitbit Ionic too.

As @Rich_Laue mentioned, you can check that article; it is very useful. Your Surge doesn't have more pending updates for now.

Your comments have not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

We’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint, along with any questions you might have during your use of the product. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

In case that you have questions about your Fitbit Surge let me know, I'm here to help.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Would like to see Fitbit Surge able to stay on heartrate (BPM) screen indefinitely. Even with newest firmware, when BPM screen is selected, it will stay on that page for only 15 seconds. After that, screen goes back to clock mode. Many users wear a watch on one wrist & want to use our Surge on 2nd wrist for non-watch constant viewing. 

An early firmware version for Surge allowed us to do what I'm asking. Why can this feature be restored?

Best Answer

Hi @Lawexec, hope you're doing okay! Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Fitbit Surge does't have new updates or the option to go back the previous one. Although, we’ll continue to support Surge from a software standpoint along with any questions you might have during your use of the product, we don't have plans for future updates at this moment. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope we can continue to provide you with Fitbit devices you love and help you reach your goals.

Your comments are very important for us, we always share feedback with our team. In case that you have questions about your Fitbit Surge let me know.

I'm here to help.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got it. No more firmware updates will ever come for Surge. That doesn't sound good, but what can we do...

Another question. I have a Samsung S9 running the latest Andriod operating system. I also have the latest Android FitBit app on this phone.

I have 2 Surges. That allows me to wear one while the other is charging.allows me to keep an extra one in my trip kit for travel, etc.

The app won't let me have both Surges synced at the same time. App will let me have a Surge and another FitBit device linked with the app at the same time, but your app appears to not let a user have 2 of the same devices connected with the app at the same time.

Is there a way to have both Surges connected at the same time?

Currently, I have to delete one Surge from the app & then connect the other Surge, back & forth every time I change out Surges for charging. That's an inefficient way to use 2 Surges.

Best Answer

@Lawexec that is not what @YojanaFitbit stated, no plans for future firmware updates at this time. This could easily change at a later time, 

This year we had updates to the  Charge, and Charge 2, both had been retired  for a couple of years. The Zip and One also got updates. 

Best Answer

Rich, Yoyana or anyone else ... do you know of a way to have the FitBit phone app recognize 2 Surges at the same time? Thank you.

Best Answer

It can't be done to my knowledge. I was in the same boat and was told the app cant  recognize two of the same watch, or 2 or more different watches.

Best Answer

That's correct. There's no way around this limitation. Fitbit say:

"Your account can have one of each device model and MobileTrack."

from: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1715/

However, you can have more than 2 different models. I've had One, Versa and Charge 2 connected ok. Perhaps you are referring to the other rule that says you can't have 2 of Versa, Ionic, Charge 3 connected?

Best Answer

Thanks for directing me to the article which says in part:

"Adding more than one Fitbit device to your account gives you the convenience of switching between devices while still seeing a holistic view of your daily activity on your dashboard. You may want to:

• Wear a smaller device for all-day step counting and a larger device for workouts
  • Switch between any devices you like. Your account can have one of each device model and MobileTrack"

In our thread, one user said he has a Versa & Charge 2 simultaneously connected to his app.

This all points to a question for the FitBit app development team: can they improve the app so 2 of the same device models can be connected? 

Why do improve the app to this end?

1. The current limitation is silly & non-sensical.

2. Customers are frustrated.

3. Buy 2 of the same devices (so when one is charging a customer can seamlessly switch them out; customer owns 2 homes, wants to keep one at each home; keep one at home, other in country club locker, etc). That also means more sales for FitBit!

4. The article above, "wear a smaller device," etc., can be expanded to tout switching out same model while charging.

New and improved app would allow customers to name same device model differently in app -- e.g., Surge 1 and Surge 2 appear in app.

FitBit, if you're listening, name one good reason, other than you'd have to spend money to fix the app, why this suggestion shouldn't be implemented. 

Thank you.

Best Answer

Personally I'm not sure why someone would want two of the same model, especially now that Fitbit have easily replaceable bands.

As for leaving separate units at different houses, who is going to keep these units charged? 

Best Answer

Rich, I'm sure your intentions are good. But, just because you don't see why a customer would have 2 of the same device doesn't mean no customer would ever have that situation. I for one have 2 Surges. When 1 is charging the other gets used. Plus, I travel & sometimes keep a second one in my travel/shaving kit. Hope this is OK with you.

Fitbit already recognizes that some customers have 2 different device models. Fitbit should also recognize that some customers have more than one of the same device model - that's the point here.

It's not for you to say that no customer should own 2 or more of the same device model. Each customer can make his/her own decision.

Best Answer

@Lawexec you seem to be reading a lot more out of what I wrote. I'm not telling anyone what or how they should think, simply giving my opinion and thoughts I'm not telling anyone how they should think. 

The reason we are even able to connect two trackers is because the users requested and voted for this option. 

Have you added your vote to the suggestion? I see that after 3.5 years only 471 people are interested. Will this be enough activity to get the attention of the developers?

Two of the samemodel tracker

I also found a closely related request.

Allow Ionic, Versa & Charge 3 on the sameaccount

Some draw backs I can see are

Will you be taking the unit out of your travel kit at least every week to charge it up? Lithium batteries do not work well when left uncharged and even when the tracker is turned off I find the battery quickly does.

A sync and a charge will be needed to set the time. 

I'm weekly and sometimes more often charging my unused fitbits just so the batteries will not be destroyed and I will be able to give the tracker away or use it at a later date.

Best Answer

Rich, 3 questions for you.

1. Assume a user owns 2 of the same device model. To keep this simple for you, user wants to keep same model on wrist at all times. When one device needs recharging, the other device is donned. According to this usage pattern, user is recharging each fitbit regularly. Do you see any downside? By the way, if it's OK with you, this is what I've been doing for more than 2 years with no downside to me. Hence my request that the app be able to recognize 2 of the same devices. I could go on and on with other examples you haven'tthought of. Here's one more example. Device recognizes only 7 exercises. Menu has about 10 to choose from. One device has 7 and the other device has a second 7 not identical to the 1st device.. But, don't micromanage that one too much, just stick with the recharging example I first gave.

2. You say you aren't telling others how to use their devices, yet you point out your perceived "downside" when a user has said how they use their devices. What is your motivation for this? Are you trying to kill requests for an enhancement you don't agree with? Why else would you be inserting yourself in this way? Are you paid by fitbit?

3. Has it occurred to you that only a very small percentage of users are active in the fitbit forum? Whatever you tally as the forum vote total is not necessarily indicative of what non-forum 2-of-same-model owners want. Those people can afford more devices and are likely to have less time for forums. I'm an exception. Frankly, you're challenging me the way you have is a factor.

Lastly, after answering any of these questions you choose, you might want to consider that your replies, while not quite bullying, are coming across as dampening and discouraging to others. You're taking your own limited experience and suggesting your views apply to all usages, thereby allowing fitbit something to point to in order  to dismiss another user's view. You may prefer strawberry ice cream while others prefer vanilla. You need to let go of it. You don't want to come across as discouraging to others to join forum and express views and make requests that weren't yours, do you?

Best Answer

The up to 7 exercises that the user chooses is up to the user, they have the ability to remove it or add and reorder these exercises.

Since a typical tracker takes only an hour to charger. Note: a lithium battery should not be allowed to drop much below 30 and never charged to above 90%

Many choose to charge their trackers while taking a shower, doing this every other day will keep most trackers charged.

If I wanted a tracker to use while my main one was charging, I would use mobile track and put the phone in the pocket.

No I'm not telling people to not request this option, the Surge community board is where Fitbit users help each other out with problems that can be helped. Adding to of the same tracker is beyond the capability of what the normal Fitbit user will able to help with.

No I'm not discouraging people, I'm simply saying that this suggestion needs a lot more votes, this would imply that the people that want this option need to go and vote. 

Best Answer

Thanks for the clarification @Rich_Laue. Thanks for sharing your comments @Lawexec and @Trvlbug207

As @Rich_Laue mentioned, a time a go this request was added and categorized on the Feature Suggestions board: Two of the same model tracker. At this moment, we don't have plans on having this option on the Fitbit App. Although, you can vote for this suggestion since we still have votes open to track the community demand over time.

Thanks a million for taking the time to explain why you need this option. You can also read more about our Fitbit Community Council's work here. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you have questions about it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lawexec I'm not sure you ever got a straightforward answer. A simple yes or no would suffice. I also have a Surge but I'm coming to the realization that it is basically no longer supported. And it wasn't cheap when I bought it. I really like the Surge but I guess it's time for an upgrade. For you, I wouldn't upgrade to the exact same two though.

Best Answer
0 Votes