Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Surge stops working when I pick our baby up

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Whenever I pick my baby up (or grab items and hold them) my fitbit surge stops tracking steps.

It happens so much that I just put it in my pocket normally. 

Please help because it's tougher and tougher to choose between having accurate step totals and picking my daughter up!

PS.. Sad that I have to explain that the last sentence is just a joke. If you can't handle sarcasm (or don't know how to) please don't bother responding. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Wrist models will not count steps when holding on to things. Sorry.

The One sounds like a much better model for you if you are holding on to a lot of things.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Wrist models will not count steps when holding on to things. Sorry.

The One sounds like a much better model for you if you are holding on to a lot of things.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Really? So if you are holding a baby and walking that is not considered a step? 

And if i put the baby (or groceries) down, will it pick up where it left off? Because it doesn't seem to and I have to continuously reset it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bankman1989 From what I've read in other threads the Surge uses an accelerometer to detect movement. If you are holding something and your arm is not swinging (the normal motion when you walk) it doesn't recognize that you are moving. I would think it should "pick up" where it left off. I'm curious. Do you just check the steps on the Surge display or also on the Dashboard after a sync? Welcome to the world of FitBit.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer

Great question. I notice that even after i put her down it still doesn't start back up. In fact i have even picked her up with the opposite hand and still have to re-set it.

I find myself putting it in my pocket (like now as I type this). I am ok with that I guess. 

Best Answer
0 Votes