Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting GPS settings

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi

I am using my Surge for tracking my walks, usually I am walking in the Mountain bike tracks. The tracks I use is both very tight tracks, meaning that very often you walk up and down the same "hill" with only few meters from one part of the track to the next, 10 meter one way, then 10 meter back again and so on.

When I look at the route afterwords, I can see that the GPS tracker very often don't get all the turns right, some times it almost just looks like a straight line, the faster I walk, the bigger the problem gets. I can only imagine that this means that the GPS don't tracks very accurate under this circumstance, meaning that the better I get, the lesser I can rely on my Surge.

I have come to that point that I expect the GPS setting to be wrong for my use, the GPS simply don't  register my position often enough. Maybe it's set to register every 30 seconds or 20, I don't know, but I am sure it's not enough.

So now to the question, Where do I change this setting for the GPS, I want to change it to maybe 5 seconds or so to a start.

All the best

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

the GPS position is recorded every second, as you can see it when exporting the activity to a TCX and opening the file.

but GPS precision is around 10 meters, so, 10 meters left then right can be a straight line.

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, thanx.

Does that mean, that the distance my Surge gives me in the end of a walk differs just because of this, or is it combining steps and what do I know to calculate the distance?

All the best

Best Answer
0 Votes

the distance is the GPS distance.
mine is consistent, i'm walking at least every sunday.

2 weeks ago, the distance was calibrated for running, and my Surge gave the same, at a couple of meters.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, @rip59, @SunsetRunner! It is nice to see you! Robot Happy Thanks for helping our friend, @SunsetRunner, you are awesome!

Our connected GPS feature works with your phone to deliver real-time activity stats like distance and pace during outdoor workouts and there is no option at the moment to change this setting. 

Additionally, the environment you are in can affect the signal strength of GPS. For example, if you are running in an urban environment with many tall buildings, it may take your Surge tracker several seconds to get a fix. If the inaccuracy is to big then, you can try to restart it and check if it improves! 

To restart it, press and hold the left and right button until the screen starts to fade. When the screen fades, release the buttons. 

Let me know if you have any question! 

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes