Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge over counting steps and floors

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When I just stand and swing my arms my steps r counting  I don't won't like that ,what should I do?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hey there @Jiku_1994! That's odd, but not totally crazy, floors are tracked by an altimeter, which is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure, you'll get floors based on the elevation your trackers senses. Being said that, weather change can occasionally cause your tracker to register an extra floor or two, for example as a gust of wind, if you're too close to AC, drive a car with open window, etc.

This happened to me a couple of days ago, it was very windy and it tracked some floors I attacked the picture, maybe the same happended to you. Smiley Embarassed

How to see floors in the Dashboard PC.PNG

If you take a look to your Dashboard online you will see exactly at what time you're getting extra floors, so we can have a clue of what happened in your case.

Keep me posted on the resolution. Smiley Very Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

This is a problem with any wrist-worn tracker (not just fitbits). They detect steps by interpreting movement of the wrist and it's not a precise science. There's more about this (and what you can do about it) in this help file:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1136/

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll be glad to help on this @Jiku_1994! I understand how you feel, since it might be taken as "cheating" but don't worry about it, beside the information that @SteveH provided above, we have some suggestions for you.

You will get a few extra steps from arm swings since your tracker will sense the movements of your hand. So, as a friendly tip I suggest to wear your Surge in your non dominant arm to minimise false arm "steps". You can also check the settings on your Fitbit App to be set in the correct "Handedness" option. 

You have this option in your computer by following the steps that @HelenaFitbit gave in this post. Or from your phone by tapping on your Fitbit Surge (under "Account" for iOS or "Devices" on Android phones).

For those extra steps you can delete them as @SunsetRunner mentioned in this post by creating a driving activity. Smiley Wink

I'll be around if you need anything else. Smiley Very Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wearing my watch in non dominant hand only ,even if I clap my hands it's counting floors..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @Jiku_1994! That's odd, but not totally crazy, floors are tracked by an altimeter, which is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure, you'll get floors based on the elevation your trackers senses. Being said that, weather change can occasionally cause your tracker to register an extra floor or two, for example as a gust of wind, if you're too close to AC, drive a car with open window, etc.

This happened to me a couple of days ago, it was very windy and it tracked some floors I attacked the picture, maybe the same happended to you. Smiley Embarassed

How to see floors in the Dashboard PC.PNG

If you take a look to your Dashboard online you will see exactly at what time you're getting extra floors, so we can have a clue of what happened in your case.

Keep me posted on the resolution. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there,

I am having huge problems with my tracker it overcounts my steps and overcounts floors of stairs climbed.

I use the Metro in Moscow to work and back. Due to the amount of people I often stand static on the escalator. From what you say in your post, it seems that even if I am static this will still register as floors of stairs, am I right? That means I don't actually have to move on the escalator to have the fitbit register it as stairs being climbed?

Everything I have read says that downstairs is not registered, but if there is a change in pressure this statement does not make sense. Please explain.

And another problem is that every movement I make is registered as steps. I noted once that when I dressed myself it registered 100 steps, without me taking even one step. What can I do about this?

Best Answer
0 Votes