Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Firmware Update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi All. My son has a Fitbit Surge. We wondered when the last update for this device was released and is there any likelihood of any future updates?

Many thanks in advance 🙂

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

The latest firmware for the Surge is 16.34.5.14 and is documented here:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1372/

Unfortunately this help file doesn't have any dates. However, I found this thread that suggests it was released in September 2015

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/New-Surge-Firmware-Update-16-34-5-14/m-p/960594#M30315

As to if / when a new update is coming I don't believe anyone outside fitbit will know and fitbit tend to keep their cards very close to their chest.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The fact that the last firmware update was released one year and a half ago saddens me a bit.

I work in IT, developer, there is absolutely no application that doesn't need some bug fixing / tuning in a lapse of time so big. If for the past 18 months Fitbit didn't bother providing customers with an update, either they have other ways of patching the software without releasing a full firmware (hence no official change log published, although highly doubt it) or it could mean that it's nearly over in their mind... And this since September 2015. Can someone from Fitbit prove me wrong?

Best Answer

Thank you for the replies. Does anyone from Fitbit have anything to add? I agonised over whether to buy the surge or blaze for my son (I have the blaze and love it) but now starting to wish I had gone with the blaze.

The surge is supposed to be the top of the range model, we really hope it's not been written off already as he hasn't had it for long. 😞

Best Answer

It has been very disappointing that fitbit will not add features to the Surge.  Sadly I don't think they ever will.  Simply adding move reminders would be a plus and wouldn't really cost fitbit anything huge as far as resources.  It wouldn't hurt sales of their other products that have move reminders because Surge users likely need the gps.

Best Answer

I agree the blaze already has more clock faces and the ability to clear notifications. The surge should get the same with a firmware update 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Last updated 2015. Doesn't look like will ever be another update. Numerous issues:

Fast battery death if use normal Bluetooth even once. 

Reminders to move- now available on lower range models. 

Slow heart rate pickup. 

Best Answer

FitBit recently  announced that the Surge line is ending (with the Ionic line replacing it) , so I think we're stuck with our 16.35.5.14 firmware for the life of our phones. 

FitBit Surge: Love it 🙂 Windows and Android (Galaxy Note 4).
Best Answer

Just wanted to mention that a new firmware upgrade was released this morning. It looks like the update allows us to disable real time tracking, and also includes bug fixes, stability improvements, and an important security update. More details: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1372/

Get Outside and Play! getoutsidenj.com - GetOutsideNJ on Insta
Best Answer
No new clock faces ..... really how hard would that be?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Has anyone else noticed that their surge is logging significantly higher calorie counts after the most recent firmware update? I used to have to actually work to hit my goal. Now I'm hitting it while doing next to nothing all day, including a couple days when I was on bed rest due to an injury.  It seems like I'm getting credit for an extra 500 to 1000 calories per day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did notice we got no new clock faces . A almost $300 tracker with only 4 options for clock faces . It should have the same as the blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes