Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Lifespan

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I hopefully have a new Surge on the way from fitbits excellent customer service department following quality and battery life problems with a eight month old surge and then three more replacements sent over the space of three weeks, each either having strap peel or battery drain problems straight out of the box.

In the meantime I have bought myself a Blaze initially to replace my Surge and await a anticipated new rugged gps release sometime in the future. It's nice but I guess it feels a bit more fashion than fitness, for me anyway.

On receiving my Surge replacement I know I will want to use the devise as I do at the moment prefer it to my newly purchase Blaze. This may change over time but I am missing the simplicity of the surge and the always on simple clock face. My fear is that I will be encountering the same problems again in the mon too distant future?

My question is. Does any of the community members have a Surge that is over 12 months old with still decent battery life and a strap that is still in adequate condition?

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

@wkel24 wrote:

My question is. Does any of the community members have a Surge that is over 12 months old with still decent battery life and a strap that is still in adequate condition?

i will able to reply in a couple of months Smiley Happy

1st Surge : dead on arrival, heart sensor not working

2nd Surge : used cyanolit-gel to glue the strap after 6 months

all's fine since. wearing 24/24 7/7.

battery life around 6 days without using GPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My first fitbit surge that I bought lasted 3 months before the strap peeled.

Replacement fitbit surge lasted less close to a year. Battery drain issue. Couldn't last more than 15 mins. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had mine since Jan  2015. Still in good shape. Has a little wear on the side but hardly noticeable

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I've been looking into this recently and saw your post.  This is my second surge also.  The first one had battery problems.  This is my second one, and I just realized I've had it since 2014.  So this makes my surge about 3 years old.  Only in the past few weeks, my display is starting to fade in and out and has some lines.  My battery life is also fine.  I charge it every 5 - 7 days.  The strap is starting to peel a little.  Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Band deteriorated.  Replaced at around 10 months.  At the 14-month mark I started having a host of problems (GPS stopped tracking in the middle of a walk, can't swipe screen, stops keeping time, then resumes).  The community gave me several suggestions, none of which worked.  So, I don't have a lot of confidence in the Surge.  I've replaced it with an app on my phone.  I really can't understand why the US warranty is only 12 months, while (I'm told) the European warranty is 24 months.  Is the product sent to the US inferior?

Best Answer

@Papa_C the US and European fitbits are the same. I believe the difference is in consumer law.

Best Answer

My first Surge failed after 12 months - almost to the day from when I started using it - blank screen or fitbit icon at best - fitbit were good enough to replace it under warranty, as for the replacement... well 12 months on - almost to the day -  the strap is broken and I'm starting to see erratic behaviour with the wrong time and unpredictable battery life. I'm a fan of the fitbit app much more than the device itself.

So in answer to the question - I've had two that made it to 12 months - but none that have made it as far as 13 months.

Best Answer

This is my second surge after I had a replacement for a faulty strap. Now I'm having sync issues and poor battery life, less than two days now. I have seen that there is a new one coming out imminently which seems to have all the things on our wishlist for a perfect fitbit. May invest in one as I'm seriously peed off with the surge. I like the fitbit app and customer service hence my decision

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've seen the advertisement for the new top-of-the-line Fitbit, but I've
decided not to go there. The Surge was "TOTL" and that hasn't worked out
so well for me. I'm still looking into some other brands, but I'm done
with Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just spent 3 hours and 10 attempt trying to get new surge 3 synching with the fit bit app - very disappointing - based on past experience the device will fail in 12-24 months - rubbish and just gets worse  a - now the app is as bad as the device - will not buy any lore Fitbit 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I replaced the band on my first one that I bought 4 years ago in the first year. After that I bought a couple of after market bands on amazon in anticipation. I think they were about 15 bucks each. I’ve replaced it once since then. Apart from that I’m pretty happy with the surge.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had my since January 2016.  It still works. Kinda.  Recently stopped letting me swipe.  I have had to replace the wristband twice.  But as far the the watch itself it has been pretty good. I workout doors to so it has been exposed to alot of elements including mud and water.  Honestly I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there, 

Unfortunately I have had a long love, hate relationship with the surge model.  I've had to replace it numerous times because of both battery constantly draining too quickly and band falling apart.  Customer service is fantastic but the product is garbage.  I bought friends the thinner version of the surge (I forget the name) and seems to be much better so I'm gonna force myself to break up with the surge and try that one.  Trust nee I tried,  I have gone through 6 replacements in 3 years.  Sorry I didn't have better news for ya.  Good luck.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here! You can see what day I'm writing this. I also activated my surge at the end of January 2016. I replaced the strap twice which was fun because I got to choose new bands. But now it doesn't want to pair so I'm looking up ways to bring this back to life. It's had a very good life and I think I might be going to a different model however I do love the GPS built in. I also work outdoors and my watch has seen a lot of the elements. But it's not keeping time even when it's turned off - the time stops, then starts where it left off when I turned it off. So it's not even a watch anymore lol! I'm still trying to figure it out and save it. Doing the 13 steps. My last option - will do a factory reset. I've Loved this watch a long time and don't want to give it up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbits aren't great clocks unless synced. Wishing you success with the resetting, please let us know how it works out 🤓

Best Answer
0 Votes