Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge spin heart rate and calories way off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been wearing a surge watch for around 2 years. I love it for running/walking, but have had a hard time getting accurate tracking during other aerobic exercise. I recently got a peloton bike with a heart rate monitor. I have noticed that the heart rate shown on my surge varies drastically from the chest strap/bike. I have also noticed a huge variation in total calories burned. Has anyone else experienced this?

There does not seem to be a way to edit the info on the Fitbit app. Further more, if I were using the Surge as a guidance to where my heart rate should be, it could be as much as 60 bpm off. I don't have this issue while running, but spinning or doing calisthenics shows a drastic difference. 

Who do I contact about this?

Best Answer
1 REPLY 1

Hi @SpinDr, It's great to see you here! It's fantastic to know that you're trying to get better results from your workouts doing new activities! Smiley Very Happy

I would like to start giving some amazing facts about heart rate readings. It varies depending on several factors like movement, temperature, humidity, stress level, physical body position, caffeine intake, and medication. If you haven't already done so, please review our information and tips for heart rate accuracy. Fitbit tracker are not a medical device, but you can rely on the information for your daily workouts. Smiley Wink

Occasionally the tracker can have difficulty finding a signal, typically due to the tracker's fit. For example, wearing your band tightly may constrict blood flow in your wrist and affect the signal. We also recommend experimenting with how high you place the tracker on your wrist. When you're not exercising, wearing the tracker just above the wrist bone--as you would a watch--typically works fine. However, moving the tracker up a couple inches can be helpful during high-intensity exercises or exercises that cause you to bend your wrist frequently. Smiley Embarassed

Though we've found that PurePulse provides better overall heart rate tracking than cardio machines or chest straps since it tracks your heart rate day and night, wrist placement during certain vigorous exercise is important. Review the information on optimal wear closely and make sure you follow the recommendations,  you can find some wearing tips here in this postRobot LOL

Remember that calories burned are taken from both steps and HR data, and depending on the intensity the amount of calories burned will be higher. About your BPM, are you comparing this with your peloton bike HR or with just with other exercises? And what is the information you would like to edit?

As a piece of advice, you can also perform a hard restart on you Surge, so in case that it is a hardware issue; this will help. Robot Embarassed 

I'll be around in case that you have questions about it! 

See ya!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer