Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCX files are empty when i export them

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am trying to export workout tcx files to my computer to upload to Strava but they show empty. I see this issue has been going on for a long time, but does anyone have a resolution? And I dont want to link Strava and Fitbit. I use a heart rate monitor when i cycle which is much more accurate for high heart rate work outs, but i use my fitbit for low heart rate work outs in the gym. I would like to be able to upload those low end work outs to Strava so i have a complete training stress score, but the files are empty when i export them. I have a premium fitbit membership, so i should be able to export complete files.  

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

Hi @CjB929, nice to see you around! Smiley Happy 

Thanks for posting your inquiry here. This is odd, since I haven't heard any issue related to the export tool. But let me give you a hand with that, so we can confirm that this is not something that I'd need to escalate. Please clean cookies and cache on your browser and if you have the option to use a different one, please do so; then give it a try again.

Let me know how it goes!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

same problem here and let met make it simple,

Please give Yes or No, is that correct that TCX files exported will be empty if GPS data not recorded in activity details.  Thanks.

Best Answer

Thanks for stopping by @HaifengLv, welcome! Smiley Happy

About your question, yes. TCX files require GPS data. You can read more about it here: How do I export my Ftibit GPS data?

Are you having issues with it? If you please try to clean cookies and cache on your computer browser or try a different one. 

Keep me posted. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hi Yojana,

I'm afraid you are incorrect, the answer to @HaifengLv's question is yes. Fitbit has decided to only implement part of the TCX file specification, and produces empty (the basic xml structure is there but the data is not populated) files when there is no GPS trackpoint information.

This has been an issue for many years now, so I think it is unlikely to change. See here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API-Development/TCX-export-without-GPS-data/td-p/786005

It would be appreciated if you communicated this to your user base in future, I see you have replied to multiple threads regarding this, e.g. https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/TCX-export-incomplete/td-p/2651402 and https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/Empty-TCX-File/td-p/731164. No doubt the issue will arise again, as users expect to have access to ALL of their data, not just a subset.

Obfuscating the issue helps no one.

Regards,

Paul

Best Answer

Yes @HaifengLv and @voltron_nz

I got same response from their support to say only workouts with GPS data (for example - select Free Run on your surge) will have data in TCX exports. 

Best Answer

Thanks for adding the corrections @awesam and @voltron_nz. I'll make sure to edit my previous post, thanks again for your help.

See you around. 

Best Answer

After successfully downloading the zipped folder/file (68.4 MB), I cannot unzip the file/folder, neither to see anything inside the folder.

Now, I have attempted to solve this problem with their online support agent for more than 30 minutes. He keeps asking me the same questions or me repeating the same problem over and over. 

Is it possible Fitbit intends not giving us the lifetime data and to keep us locked in using their app ONLY?  their dashboard is not that intuitive anyway. It's better I create my own dashboards with Excel!

@CjB929 wrote:

I am trying to export workout tcx files to my computer to upload to Strava but they show empty. I see this issue has been going on for a long time, but does anyone have a resolution? And I dont want to link Strava and Fitbit. I use a heart rate monitor when i cycle which is much more accurate for high heart rate work outs, but i use my fitbit for low heart rate work outs in the gym. I would like to be able to upload those low end work outs to Strava so i have a complete training stress score, but the files are empty when i export them. I have a premium fitbit membership, so i should be able to export complete files.  

Best Answer

This is pure rubbish. Zero data because of no GPS? Thanks. Frankly, I have tried to stay with Fitbit for a variety of reasons, but I keep getting nibbled with small issues like this. I am done. Another product for me awaits. 

Best Answer

I linked them and i got the same empty file thing. I used fitbit and wahoo for my workout and then export it to strava from Wahoo. But the problem is my phone died as i finished my workout and could save the Wahoo data.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, that does nothing.  That is low level help desk nonsense.  The export files are useless.  All you get is headers and zeros.

I am tracking sleep, food, water, exercise and activity, heart rate but NONE of this downloads.  Time to look for better options.

Best Answer

is this still a thing? Fitbit does not allow me to access my own data? because the GPS option is not on? Also, you are serving customers under GDPR in EU, you cannot prevent to access personal data. I'd like to download all my data.

Best Answer

I am experiencing the same issues. I cant download my data as TCX files are empty. On top, why is it floors rather than altitude meters? I can't do much with the floors. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Im having this issue and my GPS was on! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This also affects me on a Charge 4 with GPS on. Why does it export an empty XML shell without data???

Best Answer

Hi - yes I agree - Fitbit connectivity is poor and have no data to export when gps is on is very annoying. I like to use Sports Tracker and you need to make gpx file from tcx file. It woks if you have gps data. Nothing if no gps is on. This is really nowadays very limiting functionality. main thing I would change to other manufacturer

Regards

Aru

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a working answer on this thread: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/ratings/ratingdetailpage/message-uid/4821622/rating-system/forum_sol...

It says, "It is actually possible to export the data in TCX format but it requires jumping through a couple of hoops. First you need to export the workout using the Fittostrava website. You will need to connect it to your Fitbit and Stava accounts (it uses Fitbit APIs) and allow it some permissions. It will then export the data to Strava where you will then be able to export/download as a TCX file."

Best Answer