Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The dreaded red light

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So, I've seen the posts of the red light on the face of the surge. I checked updates, restarted my surge, did a synch, still there. BUT... it's not just there, it's fading, going out, coming back on, getting brighter... seems to be a malfunction rather than an indicator that there's something I need to do?? Anyone having the same issue? I took a video of it to email to support...

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @SueQ121 thanks for posting your inquiry here! Smiley Happy

Sorry about your Fitbit! In some cases doing the following steps help the Surge to keep working. You can try to restart it a couple of times, while the tracker is plugged in into the computer. Then access to the Settings on the Surge turn off any option that you find there like for example the "Heart Rate": option and force sync your tracker. 

Then try these steps to disconnect your Fitbit from your Account and add it back, to see if this helps as the red light usually indicates issues with the firmware update. If these doesn't help and you have a computer please add back your tracker to your Fitbit Account using the Fitbit Connect program on your computer via Wireless Dongle.  

Some users have reported better results when using a computer.

Hope this helps! Woman Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

In most of the cases of this that I've come across the light indicates a malfunction and the ususal advice is to contact customer support. Hopefully you are still within warranty (you can check at www.fitbit.com/returns )

contact.fitbit.com

Best Answer
I think I bought it in June last year, no idea how long the warranty is. If
I'm no longer in warranty, I'm done with fitbit. This us the most expensive
watch I've ever purchased, and if I ever spend that much on one again, it
will be pretty, shiny, and fancy!! Lol
Best Answer

The warranty period does vary depending on where you are in the world. That link in my previous post will show you the terms and you can find out if you're still covered from that. As it's less that a year then I'm pretty sure you're covered.

Best Answer

me too, I'm not having any luck. Paid to much for this to happen.

Best Answer

I've noticed you are new around @dalenzia, so let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Cat Happy

Thanks a million for your feedback. I've checked with our Support Team and apparently they will get back to you directly via email. Keep an eye on your inbox!

See you around! Smiley Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I am hoping that the moderator will see this post and also send me an email if it will help with the red light issue that just now started with my Surge. Or, if anyone has found a solution please reply. My Surge is not under warranty. Thank you. 

Best Answer

Hi @SueQ121 thanks for posting your inquiry here! Smiley Happy

Sorry about your Fitbit! In some cases doing the following steps help the Surge to keep working. You can try to restart it a couple of times, while the tracker is plugged in into the computer. Then access to the Settings on the Surge turn off any option that you find there like for example the "Heart Rate": option and force sync your tracker. 

Then try these steps to disconnect your Fitbit from your Account and add it back, to see if this helps as the red light usually indicates issues with the firmware update. If these doesn't help and you have a computer please add back your tracker to your Fitbit Account using the Fitbit Connect program on your computer via Wireless Dongle.  

Some users have reported better results when using a computer.

Hope this helps! Woman Wink

Best Answer
Have you updated your version of the operating system? My red light wasn't
steady, it was flickering, and I was up to date with the most recent
version of the operating system. That was all that was offered along the
way of trouble shooting the issue myself, they eventually replaced my fit
bit, but I was within warrantee.
Best Answer

Exactly @jonnell1979! Thanks for the head up, good thing is that you were able to get back on track with your Fitbit warraty. 

Remember to check these topics whenever you get the time: Saturday Humor or What is the most interesting place that you have walked run?

Hope you're doing great! Woman Happy

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Blaze. The red light came on yesterday (Aug 26, 2017) It is on steady, the only thing I notice is that the battery drains much faster. Otherwise it seems to be working fine.

I am sorry, I do have a surge, not a blaze.

I have restarted it twice, the red light is still on.

Best Answer

@Rosepress@YojanaFitbit Hi Rosepress. If your Surge is within the warranty period contact Customer Service for assistance. If it is not, try draining the battery to zero. This would be about 24 hours after the red LED goes out and the display goes blank. After that, charge and restart. Some times the LED stays off. Some times it doesn't. Best of luck!

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Having you in the Forums is really a great pleasure @Rosepress! Indeed, all of us here are very happy to have you here. Woman Very Happy

Thanks for reporting this issue, I've contacted to our Support Team to request a case for you so please keep an eye on your email inbox. They will be contacting you shortly with some instructions.

You're suggestion was correct @VF31AE3, thanks a lot for your help! You're always in the right place at the right time! Smiley Wink

See you around guys! Robot Happy

Best Answer

My Surge succumbed to the red light about a week ago. I tried every remedy I could find online. No success, so I contacted customer support. After waiting on hold for 10 min, the representative finally came back and informed me that, because my $250 device was no longer under warranty (>1 year old), all they could do is send me a 25% off coupon for a replacement purchase. Wow, really?

I have had two previous replacements of this Surge due to a poorly designed band (it cracked at screws behind face first time and completely detached from face second time). I know this model is discontinued, for many poor design reasons I guess, but only 25% off to buy a new Fitbit? I bought then then top of the line model. If I did that again (buy model with same attributes I have like GPS) and applied this lame discount, I am still looking at > $200 before tax and shipping.

Wow, way to keep your customers, Fitbit. How about an incentive that keeps me as a customer after three failed products? 😞

I plan to look elsewhere for a better deal. Any suggestions?

Best Answer
No sorry, I cut the watchband off of my fit bit surge and keep it in my
pocket. to get the red light off I think I connected it to my computer.
It’s been a while.

I have an iPhone so I’m probably going to go with an apple the next time
I’m ready to buy a new watch. But I still use the Fitbit to count my steps
while I’m at work. I work at the hospital so I’m not allowed to wear
watches.
--
-Dawn Lenz
Best Answer

Hi @McSurge we're glad to welcome you to the Forums! Nice to see you around @dalenziaCat Happy

@McSurge We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Sorry to hear about the inconvenience with your replacement, please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

About the discount you got as an option, as per our Warranty Policies please know that this is the best option to help you get back on track with the Fitbit family and I'm sure our Customer Support team will be more than glad to help you further with this in case that you have have doubts about it. I understand you've invested in the Fitbit Family; however, we as any other company have policies to follow through.  While customer satisfaction remains our number one goal, the demands of running a global business require that we enforce our warranty consistently.

Thanks for updating your case @dalenzia, I noticed you got in touch with our team some time ago and provided you with some information. I understand that as you work in a hospital you don't have the option to wear your Surge in your hand and that's why you cut the straps, but it looses the warranty if you do so. For more information about the options that you might have with Fitbit you can get back to our Support Team or I can create a new case for you.

As a piece of advise, if you're able to use your iPhone at work you can also check the option Mobile Track you can read more about it in this article: How do I use MobileTrack?

Have a good one.

Best Answer
The warranty was long expired. I’m not worried about it.
--
-Dawn Lenz
Best Answer

Hi @dalenzia, thanks for getting back. Smiley Happy

As I mentioned before, you are invited to use our option Mobile Track in case that you're allowed to use a phone while working. There are some other options too as the Fitbit Flex 2 with the metal bangle or pendant but it will be up to you. If you need more details about Fitbit products you can visit our page to compare other trackers.

I'll be around in case that you need anything else. 

Best Answer

Hi Dawn,

I am experiencing with my Surge. So pretty much too bad so sad huh? I love my Surge but I’ve had it for a few years now so it’s defintely not h dear warranty. Did you get an iWatch? I may be doing the same if I cannot fix this red light issue. If so how do you like the Apple comitted to the Surge?

Best Answer
I haven’t got the Apple Watch just yet. I’m still using the surge, it’s in
my pocket with the band cut off. I work at a hospital so we are not allowed
to wear watches. But still, I like to count my steps. For now I’m doing
okay with the surge. I did turn off the heart monitor to save on the
battery. My husband passed away last year so I am being patient at this
time.
--
-Dawn Lenz
Best Answer