Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking football/soccer

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi Peolple,

i'm new to this forum and recently purchased my fitbit surge.

I do a lot of soccer/footbal and i tried to insert it as exercice shootcurt but it doesn't exist, it has a lot os sports, including tennis but not football neither basketball.

If you know how to add it, let me know.

Best Regards,

Nuno.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@nunocosta75 Hey there!

For the time being, distance is covered only by manually recorded ambulatory activities. Say, for example, you press/hold the button to enter and exit activity mode on your device. once you sync, all you have to do is recategorize the activity as something that walking based (walk, run, hike, etc.) so that you get distance for the given activity. 

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31
I'm looking for the same answer. Seems strange such a popular form of exercise is not on the list
Best Answer

I agree with, it's very strange, specially when we are talking of a Multi Sport smartwatch and one of the biggest sports in the world.

Best Answer

I don't think there's an issue here in that a separate sports entry is not required. Football is well covered by the pre-installed run option. From previous exchanges with @EmersonFitbit I know that that's how he uses the Surge as he'll tell you all about the somewhat funky GPS plots he gets (revealing that he hangs back round his own goal all the time...kidding!)

I've always assumed that the different named activities are there because the use the tracker hardware somewhat differently in each case. That's also why I think 'running should be sufficient.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting in here, @MikeF! Say, that's a weird way of spelling "soccer"...... Robot Happy

My experiences with the Surge: 

• I usually track the sport using either the 'Workout' annotation, or 'Run' if I'm interested in a map (albeit an insane map). I later recategorize the activity as soccer, and this is when you'll get your map + statistics for the activity. Labeling something by one name over another doesn't play a crucial role in how the activity is tracked, but rather how it's presented to you on your Dashboard. 
  • I do sometimes also let SmartTrack take over, and categorize it as Sport for me- which is easy enough for me since Soccer is the only sport I play (poorly, but I play!). 

You do bring up an excellent point- I do find it interesting that we didn't include the world's most popular sport. Anyway, hope this helps shed a bit of light on the matter. @nunocosta75 @SunsetRunner

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

Best Answer
Thanks for that. I haven't tried all the different tracking options so hadn't realised the presentation differed. If that's the main reason, however, get Football added (not soccer since that isn't a real thing ;))

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

There's some momentum in this Feature Request for it, which I've pushed to our dev team in the past.

This is one that you would appreciate, @MikeF!

Best Answer

Thanks everyone for the help.

I'm gonna test it with Trendmill, because i do indoor soccer and i don't need GPS then i will relabel it as Soccer, and hope this gets me average pace, total distance, etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I set my Auto Recognition for Sport to 10 minutes, everytime i play indoor it picks it right up, we'll see how the GPS works once it warms up enough for outdoor soccer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone,

how are you guys?

tried to do a simple workout and rename it as Football as i do indoor soccer and i don't need GPS and the problem is that it doesn't give me the distance covered and the pace, so i assume it gives-me nothing, as it only gives me the total time of the exercice and the total calories.

Anyone can solve this?

best regards.

Best Answer

@nunocosta75 Hey there!

For the time being, distance is covered only by manually recorded ambulatory activities. Say, for example, you press/hold the button to enter and exit activity mode on your device. once you sync, all you have to do is recategorize the activity as something that walking based (walk, run, hike, etc.) so that you get distance for the given activity. 

Best Answer

Hi Emerson,

problem solved. Tried it with Treadmil Run and it gives me the distance.

Thank you all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is not a solution, it's a workaround. Not good enough to maintain your audience. Reflective why the stock hit another 52 week low today. Don't settle for a workaround, improve the product offering.

Best Answer

Hey there @nunocosta75! Thank you for the heads up. We glad to know that this worked for you. Smiley Wink

We appreciate your feedback @Soccer1412. Adding what @EmersonFitbit said, you can also use the SmartTrack option, it recognizes continuous, high-movement activities such as: walking, running, Outdoor biking, elliptical, sports (like tennis, basketball, soccer, and others), and aerobic workout (Zumba®, cardio-kickboxing, and other dance classes). For more details take a look of this master post from @ErickFitbitRobot LOL

Happy stepping! Smiley Very Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I like the SmartTrack feature. It does some of what I need, but the primary reason I got the fitbit was actually to see how many miles I run at each game, and you offer this under the run feature but not under the SmartTrack.. Would it be posible to add miles ran to the SmartTrack feature? 

Best Answer

Hey, @Soccer1412Smiley Happy Thanks for joining the Family! Keep in mind that even though you are not seeing the distance it is counting towards your daily stats as long as you wear your tracker. Also, I recommend you to try using the activities that your Surge gives you on the menu, you can use the ones that have the GPS option as this will give you distance. 

There are just alternative solutions for this situation because of the movement of your arms are not constant as if you were running or walking for example. 

Thank you for your understanding, please let us know how it goes! Man Wink

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

So what is the best activity for soccer?

Best Answer

Hope you're enjoying your day @Mint1991, welcome to the Community Forums! I'd suggest the option "Workout". If you want to name the activity after syncing, you can do so too, but there is no need. Robot wink

To edit a "Workout" Activity go to your Fitbit App > Track exercise > Choose "Workout" > Tap on the pencil for Android or in the upper right arrow for iOS.

Hope this works for you! Heart

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

@YojanaFitbit wrote:

Hope you're enjoying your day @Mint1991, welcome to the Community Forums! I'd suggest the option "Workout". If you want to name the activity after syncing, you can do so too, but there is no need. Robot wink

To edit a "Workout" Activity go to your Fitbit App > Track exercise > Choose "Workout" > Tap on the pencil for Android or in the upper right arrow for iOS.

Hope this works for you! Heart

Hi! Recently got a fitbit charge HR 2 so I apologise in advance if this is a basic question - I'm looking to use my charge HR 2 to find out distance covered during a game of football/soccer. If I choose 'workout' to track my stats will it give me the distance covered? workout doesnt seem to use the GPS function? 

Thanks 🙂

Best Answer

How you doing @Zahlander? Nice to see you around! Congrats on  your new Charge 2. Actually this is a pretty good question. The option "Workout" will you: steps, duration, calories but no distance. I would suggest to use either "Run" or "Walk", since this options has GPS option and even if you don't use the Connected GPS, they will will give you: steps, distance, duration and calories burned. Smiley Happy

Your Charge 2 has also SmartTrack to automatically detect when you're doing certain activities but this feature doesn't show distance. 

List of  Activities:

Walking, Running, Outdoor biking, Elliptical.

Sport—Includes high-movement sports like tennis, basketball, soccer, and others. Sports that might not be recognized include those without continuous movement or that vary in intensity level, like golf.
Aerobic workout aerobic activities with continuous movement, such as Zumba®, cardio-kickboxing, and other dance classes.

For more information about Charge 2 and all his features check this post.

Have a good day, I'll be around in case you need anything else! Robot Happy

Best Answer