Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backlight not working

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My backlight stopped working.  It was set to auto when brought up to viewing position and that stopped working, but even in darkness when I touch the screen it won't come on.  Searching the posts only shows me 3-4 year old messages and the suggestions aren't valid with the new web pages.

I stopped and restarted it, I tried to turn auto view off, resync'd then back on and resync'd, but still the light doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The backlight on my Surge stopped working a few months ago, the same as other have been posting.   This has been extremely frustrating to the point that I've been shopping for a replacement device.  However, I've had a breakthrough.  Using the Settings on the watch, I set the backlight to "ON".  Guess what, it works as if I had set it to "AUTO".   I updated to the latest Surge firmware (16.34.6.1) a few days ago and perhaps that's what made the difference.  I hope this works for you too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

Having the same issue, saw post from a while back, tried changing setting, restarting, nothing working  

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue can't get the light to come on, can anyone tell me where to find the back light settings please as I'd like to see what it's set on. Thanks

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing. Surge is running on version 16.34.5.14 and the only way it works is when the backlight is set to on. Auto no longer works for me. I tried shutdown and soft reset with no luck.

Best Answer

I am having the same issue with my surge backlight not working when set to auto when I raise or tap the surge. I have restarted and too have tried posts from years back. I had problem once before and was fixed easily but this has been several days and nothing seems to work. 

Best Answer

I have been having the same issue.  Would be nice if someone from Fitbit could point us in the right direction.

Best Answer

Hi guys! Welcome all to this thread, I'm happy to see your comments and feedback about your Fitbit Surge!

I know that some of you already tried some steps, thanks a millions for taking the time to do so! I'd like to confirm with your the following. If you already restarted your Surge, I'd suggest try again but this time try to do it 2 or 3 times in a row. Later on you can go to the Settings on your Surge, swipe the screen to  "Backlight" > Choose the option "Off" > Sync your tracker > Change it to "On" > Sync your tracker again > and finally try the "Auto" option and force sync it. Cat Embarassed

Sometimes it works fine some others you need to restart it again. You can also disconnect your Surge from the account to add it again as a replacement to update software. Now, if this doesn't help we'll need to get in touch with support to see your warranty option. I can help you with that! Please let me know! 

See you around! Woman Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hi there,

The auto backlight function on my Surge isn’t working. I have followed your advice and have:

- Restarted three time

- changed setting to backlight off and synced

- changed setting to backlight on and synced

- changed setting to backlight auto and synced

And after all that the auto backlight function still isn’t working. 

Please help. 

Thanks very much. 

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer

I wanted to post an update.  I have done everything suggested multiple times, and had no luck.  I even just updated the firmware to the latest version just released, went through all the steps (removed the Fitbit, added it back, toggled the auto light features for syncing, etc) and still have this issue.  

Has as anyone come up with a way to fix it?   In my case this happened after the Surge battery completely died. 

Best Answer

I'm glad to give you a warm welcome @EleanorofWaihi! Thanks for getting back @willwjrWoman Happy

I appreciate your time to try all these steps, in order to further assist you, I've gone ahead and escalated your case to our Support Team. Keep an eye on your email inbox.

Let me know if you have questions about it.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
Thank you for escalating this so the support team could send me a request
for information and then simply close the call, having not spoke with me at
all. No reason why the call was closed, no information. Just closed it.
Said it was resolved. But yet I still have a faulty device.
Disappointing support to say the least.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The backlight on my Surge stopped working a few months ago, the same as other have been posting.   This has been extremely frustrating to the point that I've been shopping for a replacement device.  However, I've had a breakthrough.  Using the Settings on the watch, I set the backlight to "ON".  Guess what, it works as if I had set it to "AUTO".   I updated to the latest Surge firmware (16.34.6.1) a few days ago and perhaps that's what made the difference.  I hope this works for you too.

Best Answer

Wow, thanks for the information @Wizegeezer! I hope other people find this tip very useful. Thanks a million. 

@willwjr I appreciate the time you took in order to get back to me, please check your inbox since our team sent you an email with some information.

I'll be around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

As I said before, the only information I received was a request to provide the support staff some information, and then 2 minutes later the ticket was closed as resolved.  

Thankfully @Wizegeezer was around!!!! I updated the firmware, turned my backlight on, synced the watch, and all is working fine. Thank you very much @Wizegeezer!

Best Answer

Thanks for the feedback @willwjr! I've already marked @Wizegeezer post as the Accepted Solution!

Feel free to come back at any time, in case that you have questions about your Fitbit; or you can just hand around, there is plenty information here and new ways to make friends. Please take a moment to visit our Discussions board where you will find other members sharing their experiences and tips.

This is a really good way to stay motivated towards your goals. In case that you haven't do so, check it out! You might be interested in these topics: You know you're a Fitbit addict when...... or Looking for Fitbit Friends? Find some here!

Have a nice day! Smiley Happy

Best Answer