Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't set up fitbit surge!!!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've tried everything to set-up my fitbit, done all troubleshooting options but nothing it working!!! even when im trying to switch off the watch all together, it wont even switch off, its just staying on the set-up mode no matter what button i press, can someone please help??? Thank you!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

New Fitbit Surge:

I installed the app.  Windows 10.  Unable to complete initial update. 

Searched this forum and learned that the Windows 10 software doesn't appear to be compatable with the Fitbit app.  Annoyed--that would have been nice to know up front.

I reinstalled the Fitbit App with the PC software.  The Fitbit update completed this time.

But still, all I see is the the start-up announcement on the tracker. 

--The battery is charged.

--It won't shut down (followed directions of holding the left and bottom right buttons for a long, long, long time).

--The app says the device is synched (and I can synch it repeatedly).

--Nothing appears on the screen.  If it would at least show the time, at a minimum, I could maybe use it as a watch, if nothing else.

Perplexed...

Thanks in advance for any advice.  Obviously I'm frustrated and unimpressed.  It's midnight, and I was hoping to take this thing skiing in the morning.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have no help to offer.  I'm only popping in to explain I'm having the exact same problem, and offer my sympathy.  I've spent hours on this thing with nothing to show for it. 

I've downloaded the apps in various forms.  I've synched it to the computer.  Still, the Surge only shows the startup message, and similar to yours, won't shut down.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here, my surge just blinking the downloading interface then pops "download failed".

Best Answer
0 Votes

Odd.  Mine did that for a while.  The download finally worked when I dumped the Windows 10 app and replaced it with the PC version.

However, even though my Surge is synched, and up to date (according to the "check for updates" link, it's still flashing configuration.

I'm curious to see if you are able to set yours up with the PC app (if you haven't tried already), and learn if you're able to get the Surge to respond at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Success.

I invited a techie buddy over for dinner and presented him with the Fitbit challenge (not a fitness challenge, just the challenge of getting the thing set up).

Be persistant.

Here's how it worked:

1.  Keep trying to shut it down.  I tried maybe 20 or 30 times last night, and it wouldn't shut down.  But we just kept trying again and again.  After 20 minutes or so of constant effort, it finally shut down.  I was hoping it would work when I turned it back on, but it didn't.  However, after we turned it back on, it finally connected wirelessly with the computer.  Before that, it would only sync with the cable.

2.  Shut down the computer.

3.  After starting the computer, uninstall Fitbit app.  Keep in mind, I had already uninstalled the Windows 10 app.  Now we uninstalled the PC version and reinstalled the Windows 10 edition.

4.  After reinstall, we went through the same setup steps I'd been through before (punching in the number code for the 3rd time, etc...).  This time when it was time to install (the point where it says it may take 10 minutes), it actually took considerable time.  Certainly more than 20 minutes.  But it worked, finally, and now I have a normal display on the tracker.

I only did all of this because I began to view Surge as my enemy, and I wanted to defeat it.  My buddy was considering getting one, but now he's out.  I'll probably return this one.  I don't know how many hours I invested in initiating just the most basic functionality, but it doesn't seem to be an intuitive product for me.  I just wanted to see if I could get it to set up.  I did.  Now I'm just angry at it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Posted in another tread as well.

Success.

I invited a techie buddy over for dinner and presented him with the Fitbit challenge (not a fitness challenge, just the challenge of getting the thing set up).

Be persistant.

Here's how it worked:

1.  Keep trying to shut it down.  I tried maybe 20 or 30 times last night, and it wouldn't shut down.  But we just kept trying again and again.  After 20 minutes or so of constant effort, it finally shut down.  I was hoping it would work when I turned it back on, but it didn't.  However, after we turned it back on, it finally connected wirelessly with the computer.  Before that, it would only sync with the cable.

2.  Shut down the computer.

3.  After starting the computer, uninstall Fitbit app.  Keep in mind, I had already uninstalled the Windows 10 app.  Now we uninstalled the PC version and reinstalled the Windows 10 edition.

4.  After reinstall, we went through the same setup steps I'd been through before (punching in the number code for the 3rd time, etc...).  This time when it was time to install (the point where it says it may take 10 minutes), it actually took considerable time.  Certainly more than 20 minutes.  But it worked, finally, and now I have a normal display on the tracker.

I only did all of this because I began to view Surge as my enemy, and I wanted to defeat it.  My buddy was considering getting one, but now he's out.  I'll probably return this one.  I don't know how many hours I invested in initiating just the most basic functionality, but it doesn't seem to be an intuitive product for me.  I just wanted to see if I could get it to set up.  I did.  Now I'm just angry at it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay, I'm back.

I had a change of heart this morning and decided maybe I would keep the Surge after all.

I wore it why I ran errands this morning (walked to errands).  So 13 hours after I set it up, this is where we are:

--It's losing time (shouldn't there be a GPS time sync?).  It's now about .5 hours slow.

--It won't sync with the computer any more (last sync 6:32 pm last night.  Can't locate the device).

--I can't get it to shut down (again).

--Doesn't display heartrate.  This might be operator error, as I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.  I set it up as "auto" on the settings, but as I flip through the tracker's screens there's no display. 

Did I just get a lemon, or does the Surge really demand hours of my day, every day to function?  Or do I just not understand how to operate it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@michael1 @Walto @TaoTao Thanks for joining us! In general make sure you have a compatible mobile device or use your computer to setup your tracker. After this fully charge your tracker by plugging it for two hours to the charging cable. Connect the USB syncing dongle as it will be needed to connect your tracker with your computer.

Wireless Sync Dongle.png

Restart your tracker by doing the following:

1.- Press and hold the Home and Select buttons (left and bottom right) on your Fitbit Surge for 10 to 15 seconds, until you see the screen flash or start to dim.
2.- Let go of the buttons.
3.- After your screen turns completely off, wait 10 seconds and press the Home button to turn your Surge back on.

Now retry the setup process including the firmware update, make sure you have a good internet signal (mobile or Wi-Fi). If you have been try from a phone then try a computer or if you have been trying from a computer then try a compatible phone.

@Walto What you are describing isn't expected from your tracker. Restart it and see how it behaves and if you still have issues then please feel free to contact our Support Team for further assistance.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes