Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit not using calories from strava

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a power meter on my mountain bike, so when Strava says I used 622 calories mountain biking, that is not a guess.

Apple Health sees this calorie info from Strava.

FitBit sees the activity from Strava, but ignores Strava's calories and makes up its own. 

Today my ride was 622 calories, but FitBit saw that I was biking, and called it 374 calories. Now true, on a road bike, 1.5 hours of riding at 9 mph probably would be 374 calories. Except I was not road biking. I was mountain biking, with a power meter. I would prefer that FitBit not ignore the calories that it gets from Strava.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

Hello @rsilvers, good to see you here in the Fitbit Community! This topic has been discussed among boards from Strava, Fitbit or even other third party apps.

• Activities from Strava are synced over to Fitbit as manually logged activities but will not include GPS or heart rate data from Strava.
  • NOTE: Manually logged activities in Strava will NOT sync over, it needs to be a recorded activity (i.e. pressing the record button in the app)

The difference here is the technology it is used to read calories as may vary from brand to brand. After reading a couple of articles note that method of calculating calories on Strava, requires estimating power output and then factoring in human efficiency on the bike. While in new models of Fitbit trackers read this information through your heart rate information, with this I don't mean Strava or the power meter you are using is inaccurate. It is just the information may vary depending of the algorithm used for this purpose. 

For more details I would like to recommend the following post from my friend @CindyFitbit.

See you later and for more questions stay tuned to the Fitbit Community!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes