Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garmin Steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know...I know...Garmin is technically a competitor in the activity tracking segment.  However, I'd like to see Fitbit sync step data from Garmin without a third-party app that treats the data as a manually logged activity. 

I'm currently training for runs that require more than anything currently available in the Fitbit lineup.  Yet, I've used a Fitbit for over two years and have many friends on here that I enjoy competing in Challenges with.  I believe that it's in Fitbit's best interest (and the Fitbit community) to allow the integration of data from third-party hardware.  This is already being done with the iPhone app and hardware.  Devices like the Apple Watch and Android Wear offer activity tracking and much more. 

I recently sold my Charge HR because it was replaced with a Garmin Fenix 3.  I miss out on the step competitions but I also don't want to wear two devices.  So when push comes to shove I sided with the Garmin because it fits most of my needs.  However, I'd like to still participate in the community and I'd be willing to pay for the Premium package to allow third-party hardware integration.  I currently participate with the iPhone app but my step counts are greatly reduced because I don't carry the phone with me all the time and specifically on runs (when I earn 12k - 35k steps per run).

Fitbit should be concerned.  If more users do as I have then the community will begin to slowly erode.  Eventually a third-party service / platform will allow this type of integration then the hardware will become irrelevant.  Once that happens people won't want a dedicted activity tracker.  They will want the activity tracker built into their smartwatch or other device. 

Currently, I'm challenging my friends on Humana Vitality.  They offer us rewards plus accept activity data from multiple platforms.  This is limited to an insurance company but shows that it can be done.  What if Strava, MyFitnessPal, or...Facebook decide to offer this type of solution? 

Fitbit, if you can make a watch that is comparable to my Fenix 3 then we can talk.  Until then I don't need two devices to wear and two to charge.  Long term, that still won't be your solution.

Thanks

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

I agree. I do triahtlons so I have a Garmin computer on my bike and I use my 910XT for my swimming.  I WISH I could pass the data back and forth between either Garmin Connect or Training Peaks.  I bought the FitBit because my Garmin devices have never come close to being accurate with monitoring my heart rate. I figured with FitBit I could at least get the accuracy on my run training.  Garmin offers too many things that I need in my training so at this point it will always win out. I wish the FitBit would play nicely with either Garmin Connect or Training Peaks.

Best Answer

Hello there @smithgkm and @shasn! I'm glad to know you're really active, and that you want to share your information. Ideas like these are always welcome in our Feature Request board. I hope you get a lot of votes. 

Keep it on the good way!  

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer

I too, gave up my Fitbit for a Garmin due to lack of funtionality.  I would really like to use my Garmin as my all day step counter and activity tracker while remaining in the Fitbit community.  

For actual runs, cycling, and workouts, Garmin connects to Strava and Strava to Fitbit.  Unfortunately, this only adds steps for the actual recorded event.  The current 3rd party connections do not provide an all day step count.

Has anyone come up with a solution?  If so, please share. OR is Fitbit working on updating there API to allow a daily override from a third party?

I also want this discussion board to provide world peace and a method of shoving ice cream in my head without completely plumping up.

Thanks for you help.

Best Answer

Has anyone tried fitdatasync.com?  Supposedly you can do that, but I haven't been able to figure it out or get it working.

I would think there would be issues with just telling the fitbit app that you have so many steps.  Wouldn't that defeat the integrity of the challenges?

But in any case, I would also like to be able to push steps to fitbit.  But for now, I just use my phone and lose most of the challenges.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use it. It syncs your activities but not your steps.

@njord4 wrote:

Has anyone tried fitdatasync.com?  Supposedly you can do that, but I haven't been able to figure it out or get it working.

I would think there would be issues with just telling the fitbit app that you have so many steps.  Wouldn't that defeat the integrity of the challenges?

But in any case, I would also like to be able to push steps to fitbit.  But for now, I just use my phone and lose most of the challenges.

I use:

FitBit Aria
MyFitnessPal and MapMyRide, Garmin VivoSmart

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello there @smithgkm@njord4 and @LedMatrix! Thank you for sharing all your ideas and opinions. There is a place where you can share all your ideas in our Feature Request board. You can add all the details about the way you want this working. 

I hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello there @smithgkm@njord4 and @LedMatrix! Thank you for sharing all your ideas and opinions. There is a place where you can share all your ideas in our Feature Request board. You can add all the details about the way you want this working. 

I hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I complained about this awhile back. I wanted to compete with friends in a " Challenge ". After doing a bunch of research I found some things I really didn't like. Not matter how active you are it doesn't matter in a challenge unless there is step data. Can't Imported industry standard data, thinned metrics, flawed api etc....

Best Answer

I can't figure out fitdatasync either.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community @SunsetRunner! Currently, FitDatasync isn't an option anymore. So, it's not possible to sync Garmin and Fitbit. However, there's already an idea in our feature suggestion board. These ideas are viewed by our engineers and developers and the best of this is that people can vote for them. 

Thanks for voting! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

It was never a real option! Fitbit crippled the API into a pretty much useless plugin. Meanwhile pretty much everyone else is cross-compatible! 

It's been years since I brought up the issue and I'm sure I'm not alone. This not something that should even be a feature request as it's everyones standard of operation. Fitbit failed and seriously althelets have left because of it.

Best Answer

Robot wink

Best Answer

I completely agree with all of those above. I've had a Fitbit for over 2 years now, but I've been through a few faulty ones (I'm on my 5th). This one just stopped responding again today, so it's going back to Best Buy as soon as I get a chance thanks to their protection plan. 

I got a Garmin Forerunner 235 over a year ago and love it. I've been wearing both because I like the social side of Fitbit. Now that I have friends on Garmin too and my Fitbit is out of commission, I'll probably just take my money back and stick to Garmin. I'd still love to be able to do the challenges on Fitbit though. I know Stridekick lets you challenge anyone with any tracker, so I may have to ask friends on here to sign up there. 

Let me me know if anyone finds a fix. 

Best Answer

I just bought a FitBit Charge 2 in order to participate in my company's fitness challenge. I was a Garmin user for years and all of my fitness data sits on the Garmin platform.  I'm really disappointed I can't import Garmin data into the FitBit iOS app. I may switch back to a Garmin Vivoactive device because it meets my fitness needs, but it's too bad I won't be able to import my Garmin data in my company's fitness challenge on the FitBit site. Please enable better compatibility between Garmin and Fitbit data.

Best Answer

I recently sold my Charge HR because it was replaced with a Garmin Fenix 3.  I miss out on the step competitions but I also don't want to wear two devices.  So when push comes to shove I sided with the Garmin because it fits most of my needs.  However, I'd like to still participate in the community and I'd be willing to pay for the Premium package to allow third-party hardware integration.  I currently participate with the iPhone app but my step counts are greatly reduced because I don't carry the phone with me all the time and specifically on runs (when I earn 12k - 35k steps per run).

I'm on the same boat. I could actually copy and paste everything your wrote but I'm just going to stick to the most important part 😜 I really hope we can get a solution soon...

Best Answer

I totally agree with you. But its baffling.. That after 4 years! Why is FITBIT still refusing this? It's cos we are still buying their Products! What's the big deal in this simple synchronization? People will still buy Fitbit and be happy it works in so many ways. I will still buy Fitbit, if I know, I can use it either way. It so simple, It's like using a Rolex today and a Michael Kors tomorrow. But we have to worry about data. Sigh!

I love Fitbit but I'm seriously considering leaving it. Tough I don't want to miss my Fitbit friends. But I will always meet some new ones too on Garmin. 

Best Answer

Fitbit is dying giant. Sales are down and they don't really have a smart watch that really is competitive in the market anymore. With apps like Stridekick they are loosing whatever edge they had software wise. If Fitbit does not do something seriously great by this holiday cycle It is a matter of time. 

Best Answer

Are there by news about integrating the Garmin data?

I have had all the Fitbits up to the blaze since it is an elegant everyday clock but I need the Garmin for the actual physical activity and swimming.

It is now getting to the point that I am completely locked in with the Fitbit. I can sync the Garmin with everything else I use but not the Fitbit.

Do you guys know of anyway to sync my Garmin data with the Fitbit app for the days that are just pure physical activity?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've searched for this for an hour or so and all I get is links to posts like this one, most are older though. I think FitBit just doesn't care really, most of their "moderators" sound like robots with automated responses to people questions lol.

I really wish they would do something though, it'd be nice to be able to compete with my friends again. Honestly they could even charge for a version of the app for Garmin users and I don't think many people would complain!

Jake

Best Answer