Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garmin Steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I know...I know...Garmin is technically a competitor in the activity tracking segment.  However, I'd like to see Fitbit sync step data from Garmin without a third-party app that treats the data as a manually logged activity. 

I'm currently training for runs that require more than anything currently available in the Fitbit lineup.  Yet, I've used a Fitbit for over two years and have many friends on here that I enjoy competing in Challenges with.  I believe that it's in Fitbit's best interest (and the Fitbit community) to allow the integration of data from third-party hardware.  This is already being done with the iPhone app and hardware.  Devices like the Apple Watch and Android Wear offer activity tracking and much more. 

I recently sold my Charge HR because it was replaced with a Garmin Fenix 3.  I miss out on the step competitions but I also don't want to wear two devices.  So when push comes to shove I sided with the Garmin because it fits most of my needs.  However, I'd like to still participate in the community and I'd be willing to pay for the Premium package to allow third-party hardware integration.  I currently participate with the iPhone app but my step counts are greatly reduced because I don't carry the phone with me all the time and specifically on runs (when I earn 12k - 35k steps per run).

Fitbit should be concerned.  If more users do as I have then the community will begin to slowly erode.  Eventually a third-party service / platform will allow this type of integration then the hardware will become irrelevant.  Once that happens people won't want a dedicted activity tracker.  They will want the activity tracker built into their smartwatch or other device. 

Currently, I'm challenging my friends on Humana Vitality.  They offer us rewards plus accept activity data from multiple platforms.  This is limited to an insurance company but shows that it can be done.  What if Strava, MyFitnessPal, or...Facebook decide to offer this type of solution? 

Fitbit, if you can make a watch that is comparable to my Fenix 3 then we can talk.  Until then I don't need two devices to wear and two to charge.  Long term, that still won't be your solution.

Thanks

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

It is true indeed. Fitbit is completely close off to the rest of the fitness world. I was in the same boat as you. I tried everything and got zero results. I honestly think they won't be around long term as the only value the company now holds is the community. It is only a matter of time. In the meantime time Stridekick is a good cross-platform option.

Best Answer

I guess Garmin just needs to create a better app to create a garmin community and they will eventually take over the fitbit community.  Had my fitbit for just over a year; on a replacement tracker and this one just went out just a week after I started getting involved in these community challenges.  I too will most likely switch to garmin if they don't resolve this issue within this payperiod Smiley Tongue

Best Answer

Hi, I use aria scales and they sync with my garmin. I think this is because I use my fitness pal, which acts as an in between to transfer the data.

fitbit syncs to my fitness pal > my fitness pal syncs to garmin 

I don't think I could give up my scales! 🙈 

Good luck!

Best Answer

Absolutely,  I might go to Garmin as fitbit is just not a good app

Best Answer

Garmin has been working on that. I think for the most part they are allowing third party apps with more narrow focus do this. they just sync the data. a example of this is Strava which has a community and community challenges. although none of those are step challenges Garmin does offer those. If Garmin focused a little more on the community accept of their then Fitbit is done. 

Best Answer

I agree.  I owned the Fitbit Charge HR for a year before it started falling apart, but I liked it so I bought another one, but it too is falling apart. Yes I know I can send it back and get a refurbished product, but this seems like a design flaw that I am paying the penalty for.  I love Fitbit and the community it has, but after listening to my brother share how much he likes his Garmin Vivoactive HR I think I will make the switch to Garmin and pick up the Vivoactive 3. I like the new Ionic, but afraid the quality will be like the Charge HR and I don't have $299.99 to throw away twice.  My brother has had his for a year with no problems and says and from what I've read definitely has a more robust feature set and is waterproof, instead of only being resistant.  While I would hate to leave the Fitbit community it looks like Stridekick is an app/website that will allow me to invite any activity tracker to work out with so hopefully I can convince a few of my Fitbit friends to make an account here, but we will see. Fitbit I love you but I don't have money to waste.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same situation, used to have Fitbit and loved the social aspect (step challenges). 

Moved to Garmin watch for my running/cycling activities and hence getting my steps counted by Garmin. Fitbit has lost me as a customer and could only get me back if they would allow better integration between apps. Become a data broker - it's not that bad a business model! 

R

Best Answer

The Garmin app is a beast! there is nothing wrong with it from a fitness point of view. i do understand your point has to do more the social aspect of the application. i do think that will come maybe this year. i have seen a lot of little improvements to that social end of the Garmin App. that being said their focus still looks to be core fitness products. 

Best Answer

Just wanted to add an upvote for a Garmin-to-Fitbit step sync. I just switched to the Garmin Fenix 5 Plus for triathlon (no fitbit watch can track triathlon as well), but I'm sad that I won't any longer be able to participate in my family step competitions on the Fitbit app anymore.

Best Answer