Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How soon MobileRun session sync to Strava?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Frequently I use MobileRun on my Android phone to record my activity w/GPS, and have my Blaze record the heart rate.  When the activity end, sometimes, the tracker has not sync'd it latest heart rate data to my phone, and whilst during that period, I assume fitbit has sync'd that recorded activity to Strava, because the heartrate sometimes is missing in the Strava sync, and other times, Strava only have heart rate data part way throughout the exercise.  Luckily, I can export the activity from fitbit and manually upload the file onto Strava.

Is there a window in which a recorded activity gets sync'd from fitbit to its the 3rd party app?  Or is there way to change that sync window?

I am not using connected GPS because my phone doesn't support it.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity and label

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi there @phatbitzr, nice to see you again in the Fitbit Community! I was reading your post that in occasions part of your heart rate from your MobileRun activity data doesn't synced in Strava.

When an integration exists with your Fitbit Dashboard, it will automatically synced with a third party account. There is not in detail if there is a certain window of time when this is triggered, neither there is an option to manually control this timeframe. In my personal use, Strava syncs almost immediately and in occasions, it may take up to 15 minutes tops, while it compiles the information.

This can be a reason why you are not seeing your heart rate information, since your Dashboard in occasions will take more time to compile your activity at the moment your information syncs with our servers.

Other reason is that your app is running an outdated version of the app. This will depend of the platform, so take a look at this article to learn more: What's changed in the latest release of the Fitbit app?

About your last sentence in your post, I'm curious to know if you have any troubles with Connected GPS? Is true that many features depend on the compatibility of the phone, but in your scenario Connected GPS, is an option provided by your tracker and not the app; since you have a Fitbit Blaze you should be able to use this feature. 

Hope this helps and keep participating if you have other questions.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am running the legacy version of the Fitbit app for android because that is the only version I can run.

I am also not using Connected GPS because my phone only have bluetooth 2.1, which doesn't Connected GPS doesn't support.

Usually, the phone will sync with the tracker on a regular basis, even during my activity, but sometimes, it stops syncing and when I try to sync it, the app complains about not being able to find my tracker.  So in that period of fiddling, I guess the app uploaded the data to fitbit.com, which sync'd it to strava.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @phatbitzr, my apologies for the late response and thank you for the additional details. Note that with legacy versions of the app, is prone some issues affect the Fitbit app in some functionalities, like the syncing issues you have mentioned, since the app is not optimized.

Now I would like to suggest to revoke the access of your Strava app and reconnect your accounts again. Despite the app sometimes present syncing issues, I do not believe is the cause why you are not able to see the whole exercise. 

1. Log in to your fitbit.com dashboard
  2. Click the gear icon on the top right corner
  3. Click "Settings"
  4. Click "Applications" on the left side
  5. Click "Revoke Access" under the "Fitbit + Strava" app
  6. Go to https://strava.fitbit.com/ and click "Connect" and follow the rest of the prompts to finish reconnecting your Fitbit and Strava accounts

See you later.

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RobertoME, I am not going to re-invoke access to strava, since it works fine every time, and I had some trouble initializing it the first time (apparently, it can't be done when the browser is in private mode).

What my workaround is when I finish my MobileRun Activity, I put it in Pause mode, maybe give the app some time to perform syncs in the background.  When I eventually finish the Activity and it records a 'Run', I will go see when it last sync'd, then sync again, especially if it has been a while ago.  If it has trouble syncing due to tracker not found, I will stop the app and re-launch, which usually fix the tracker not found issue.

Just wondering, is a MobileRun activity uploaded right away to fitbit as soon as it is finished?  Or maybe uploaded as the activity is being recorded?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @phatbitzr, thank you for letting me know additional details and I totally understand you don't want to go with the revoke and reconnect recommendation, rest assure this is optional and I'm glad you have shared your workaround in the Community. I'm sure this will help other user who might have the same concern.

Regarding your questions, is a little bit of both. While the app is recording your exercise, the information is being recorded in your tracker and your phone temporarily. When you hit the "Finish" button the information will be compile against the data of your tracker and is uploaded to our servers to give you the results. In some occasions it may present some delays; but in a normal scenario, the sync is immediate once you have end the activity.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes