Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MapMyRun and Blaze logging different distance

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Blaze is set to use my iPhone GPS and MMR also uses GPS but MMR logged 4.99km and my Blaze logged 5.61km. I logged my run via my Blaze watch not the app. If I log via the Fitbit app it seems to be accurate. What am I doing wrong?  I want to log via watch as then I can keep an eye on my distance by looking at my watch. 

Thanks 

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi there @Addy555, welcome aboard to the Fitbti Community! I was reading the distance between your Fitbit account and MapMayRun is different. I'm wondering if the GPS exercise in MapMayRun with a distance of 5.61 km was logged through Fitbit or it was only using MapMayRun?

Would you mind to share a comparative screenshot to have a closer look? If you need help uploading  screenshot this post will serve as a reference.

I'll be looking forward to your response.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi MMR was used separately. See attached screenshots. The fuse is MMR the second Fitbit.  

Thanks 

C4804426-1DE8-4464-8451-8E1BBAFDF9D9.png

6BA0480B-D2C5-4F07-8382-CC8CEFBC2F7F.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

MMR also has Fitbit connected - see screenshot. 

AD74F4C2-9AC3-4E1E-93F7-9EEA61401568.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello there @Addy555, my apologies for the late response and thank you for all the screenshots. Super helpful to have a closer look. In this case I believe I know what is the reason of the discrepancy.

I saw in Fitbit app screenshot, that your exercise does not have a GPS map, feel free to confirm if this is correct?

To give you more context, when you use Run from your Blaze, this option will try to use connected GPS, but if you start the exercise before your tracker is able to connect with your phone, the distance will not come from the GPS, but from your stride length configuration. 

As you know, Fitbit trackers calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps by your walking stride length and multiplying your running steps by your running stride length when there is not GPS available if the tracker is compatible with this feature. So this is the reason why your Fitbit activity has more distance in comparison to MMR, that uses your GPS.

Just a quick note here, If you have connected MMR to Fitbit, be careful as this can create a duplicate entry if you are using Fitbit and MMR separately. For more details refer to this post.

Also remember that the distance comparison with other app, never will be exactly the same, It may vary for different external factors.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have other questions.

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi thanks for your reply. I realised when I went for a run the other day it was trying to connect to my phone so waited for it to connect. The distance is much better. Only10m out. 

Just another query if you don’t mind. If I’m running therefore it adds calories for my exercise but I’ve also clocked up steps is it duplicating the amount of calories I can have ?

Thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Addy555, glad to hear you realized of this. You were not asking for this info, but if you want to learn more about connected GPS, I believe this post will provide you more details.

Now about your query. No, if you are running, your tracker will not give you duplicate amount of calories by the account of your steps. Either if you are using an activity with connected GPS or just letting your tracker recognized your exercise automatically.

When you use any of these features, these are going to create an exercise log on your Fitbit Dashboard, like the one from the screenshots that you sent me before.

All steps, calories, and active minutes recorded by your tracker are overridden for the duration of a logged activity by the activity's values. This ensures that your calories and other stats are not counted twice as long as the activity has the correct start time and duration and doesn't enter in conflict with another similar exercise logged at the same time.

If you see in your exercise history two similar exercise at the same time, then this will give you extra calories since the activity is duplicate. Otherwise feel free to use your tracker for running as it will know to separate your information to give you accurate information.

See you later and feel free to keep me posted if you have other questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes