Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapmyride can't sync

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Basically, what the subject says.  Anyone else having issues?

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

Welcome to the Community @SunsetRunner. In this case, I recommend checking this post where our friend @SilviaFitbit is providing useful information about syncing MapMyFitness with Fitbit. 

I hope this helps, catch you later. Woman Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I just executed this sync.  Here's hoping it works/integrates well.

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
So, this isn't a complete fix. The mileage won't sync into Fitbit. And I don't see a means inserting/overwriting. I don't have a distance goal (since I get that the Fitbit device is more a pedometer with bells and whistles, and my life is a combination of walking and biking just about everywhere), but when I look at my log, it would be nice to see the distances (if applicable) to the associated activities.

Another thing that confuses me is the calories burned. That data doesn't come from mapmyride does it? I've often had trouble believing there figures (which are calculated), and figured the device actually "measures" it (based on HR, etc).
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner Yeah, assuming you did MapMyRide > MFP > Fitbit, activities sent from MFP to Fitbit don't have distance, and they're considered manually logged activities (which means it overrides tracker data during that time period). The calorie burn is likely coming from MFP as well.

You can always try using Strava or the Fitbit app to record your rides, and see if that works. 

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
Unfortunately I tried the Fitbit app...and because there's no "bike" option (only run) it jacked things up.

The reason I asked is I tried both using the "exercise" mode (tapping the button) concurrently with MMR. I am doing the workaround you mention, and the duplicate entries created had "similar" data (elapsed time/timestamps were a few seconds off...not a problem).

Guess I'll have to try Strava.

Maybe I am asking too much if this device? It's pretty slick and sophisticated, but it seems to have many drawbacks. I pretty much only want to use it as a fitness and sleep tracker. I don't care that much about step counts or floors counts... although it's nice. That said, it would be nice if the false additions to those counts could be adjusted/negated (you can do it for gym workouts, for example, with an exercise mode activity labeled as weights in the log later).

I would like to be able to track my fitness related activities and have the appropriate data (heart rate, calories burned, and duration for workouts; or heart rate, calories burned, duration, and distance for rides...as a couple examples). And it would be nice if it could all be in one place, with reasonable automation and minimal correcting, rather than scattered across different apps/data collection points.
Best Answer

Tried Strava this morning on my commute into work.  Seems to work.  Will test more this week.  If it is satisfactory, I shall click the solution button.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I can't call this a solution.  My morning ride/commute synced, but the next two rides have not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner As long as the activity was recorded via GPS in Strava, it should sync over to Fitbit. Here's some options to consider:

1. Continue using Strava > Fitbit

2. Try using Endomondo > Fitbit

3. Use your tracker's "Exercise Mode" without connecting other apps (otherwise results in duplicates)

4. Manually log a "Bike" activity through Fitbit

Assuming you're not using a tracker that has a built-in Bike mode (Surge, Blaze, Charge 2), then those might be your best options.

Hope that helps.

What motivates you?

Best Answer

I'll consider looking into Endomondo.

Frankly, if the Strava thing would have worked, it would have been PERFECT.  It did exactly what I wanted, which was import the time and distance, but let FitBit do the rest (like calories, etc).

Logging bike ride manually or using exercise mode is not a solution as you are limited to what data/information you can write in/overwrite manually, which effectively make those options useless.

I guess I failed to mention that I have a Charge HR.  One thing I wondered about yesterday is if somehow in the morning the SmartTrack didn't create a log, but for some reason maybe my other ones did.  I've since disabled it.  I didn't find it too useful anyway.

I guess I'll give Strava a week or so.  And if not satisfied I'll look into Endomondo.  It's just a shame as if Strava just worked, this problem would be solved, could put this to rest, and I could even click the Solution button.  I've not been a user long, let alone an active user on these forums, but it sounds like my frustrations are shared with many.

I should point out that the only reason I am being so stubborn is I rather like the device...or at least I feel as I should (given what it SHOULD be capable of doing).  However, I also need to point out that I am glad I did not pay for this device (I won it in a contest).  I would be SUPERBLY PO'ed if I had purchased this device.  It really does not act/work as advertised, as well as other portions of the services/website.  If the expectations (a result of the advertising) matched the performance...it would be a different story.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I should clarifiy that I've found using Exercise mode on the tracker works for walks and for workouts and has been pretty helpful.

I've also found that using the app for walks (for times I don't wear my tracker) has appeared to work with reasonable success as well.

The rub is bike rides, which are a big part of my life (my commute for one, and one of my favorite non-gym activites as well).

Best Answer

Tried Endomondo today.  Worked...sort of.

It's difficult to figure out if the calories came from Fitbit and wrote to Endomondo, or if it came from Endomondo to Fitbit.

One warning/caveat that was explicit in Endomondo is that it will only sync workouts/rides that are not marked private.  My first Strava ride I didn't mark private until well after it had been logged.  I tried to get in the habit of marking my rides private as sharing commutes seemed kind of silly (if I ever get to the point of using the social aspects of any ride tracking app).  I am wondering if by doing that immediately before/at posting that may have screwed things up.

I will be trying Strava again this afternoon and this evening, but not marking the rides private and see if they sync.  As near as I can tell, Strava is the best one to use for a number of reasons...so that's the one I need to see if it works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So Strava does work.  Rides cannot be posted as private.  They must be public first.  Once synced with Fitibit, they can then be changed to private.

It appears that Strava can be considered a solution.  However, given what I've been reading in the forums, I am going to give this some time and many tries before I actually call this a solution.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner Well I'm glad it's working for you so far. 😉

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes