Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not syncing with My Fitness Pal

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

As of about 10:30 this morning, fitbit and Myfitness pal stopped synching. MFP isn't pulling a calorie adjustment and Fitbit isn't getting my food entries or activities from MFP, so it seems like the sync has stopped working on both sides. This is probably the 10th time I've had an issue with this since getting my fitbit about a year ago.

Everytime we're instructed to revoke access, remove app, etc, and sometimes that works for one sync, but it doesn't start working consistently until they fix the server side. I've tried disconnecting the apps and revoking access 4 times now, nothing is working, they won't sync at all. This is a HUGE PAIN and i'm really starting to get fed up with Fitbit. I may just give it away and buy a different tracker at this point.

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

My mom and I have been having issues with this since the app updated, and I'm seeing people on the MFP board having this issue also.

Best Answer

Yeah, I'm not even using the apps right now, using a PC. Yes, there are a bunch of people in the Fitbit group on MFP complaining of the same issue for the last couple days. The last time this happened was January and they blamed it on server overload because a lot of people got Fitbits for Christmas. So now what's the excuse in March? St. Patrick's day gifts??

Best Answer
0 Votes

The last thing that came over from MFP to FitBit was lunch but my afternoon snack has not.

My afternoon walk on FitBit has not resulted in any calorie adjustment getting back to MFP.

I had problems for awhile in January but then it started working and now it's not again... It's not the app because I see the same results on the PC and websites. It's some kind of back-end server problem where they're not talking to each other again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

MyFitness Pal has posted an update about this:

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1901070-fitbit-sync-delays-3-2-15---updated-3-...

I just wish they'd figure out what causes this every few months. Its not a new issue!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there a walk through fpr unlinking and relinking the two sites?  I revoked access for MFP, and can't find how to re establish.

Best Answer
0 Votes
To re-establish, log into the MFP website.
Choose the "Apps" tab in the MFP site.
"Install" the Fitbit app (you may need to remove it first before the Install option becomes available)
You'll get a fitbit authorisation window, choose "allow read/write".
After that, it should confirm that they are now linked, and tell you which items to log in which applications.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SFDonovan wrote:

Is there a walk through fpr unlinking and relinking the two sites?  I revoked access for MFP, and can't find how to re establish.

If you read this, you'd see that MFP said DO NOT unlink/relink, it just causes more of a delay in getting it fixed.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1901070-fitbit-sync-delays-3-2-15---updated-3-...

It was fixed for most people yesterday, but some are still catching up with syncs. Unlinking/relinking doesn't fix it. Yes, you should check to make sure they are still linked though.

I just find this funny because this is the only thing that Fitbit support ever tells us to do, and now we're hearing from MFP that it actually makes the problem worse, because then the server has to catch up with all of those changes, in addition to the backlog of syncs it is already trying to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think the "unlink/relink" suggestion is a general idea that may fix some problems and is like being told to reboot your computer when you're having mysterious problems with it when the person helping you really doesn't know what's wrong.  And rebooting does often fix problems. In this case, with lots of people having the syncing problem, the unlink/relink suggestion doesn't seem as useful (and indeed it was suggested we NOT do it this time).

I believe that FitBit and MFP were syncing ok yesterday eventually, it just wasn't as quickly as it used to do it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe I unlinked the two hours before I found and read that post?

@cindy9178 wrote:

@SFDonovan wrote:

If you read this, you'd see that MFP said DO NOT unlink/relink, it just causes more of a delay in getting it fixed.

It was fixed for most people yesterday, but some are still catching up with syncs. Unlinking/relinking doesn't fix it. Yes, you should check to make sure they are still linked though.

I just find this funny because this is the only thing that Fitbit support ever tells us to do, and now we're hearing from MFP that it actually makes the problem worse, because then the server has to catch up with all of those changes, in addition to the backlog of syncs it is already trying to do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

MFP and Fitbit continue to have issues syncing.  I have tickets open with both companies and they say they are working on the issue.  Hopefully they get this figured out before Thirsty Thursday 🙂

Good customer service is solving the customer's problem. Great customer service is making sure it never happens again.
Best Answer

Yeah.  None of my meals logged at MFP from Breakfast or Lunch show on Fitbit.  Dinner never logged at all last night, not until this morning.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SFDonovan wrote:

Yeah.  None of my meals logged at MFP from Breakfast or Lunch show on Fitbit.  Dinner never logged at all last night, not until this morning.  

If you are using MFP to track your meals and calories consumed, then it doesn't really matter if Fitbit is getting that info pulled over. Fitbit doesn't use that information for anything that would affect your calories burned number it sends to MFP. What matters is if whether you are getting your Fitbit calorie adjustment (and steps if you track them) synced over to MFP. Is that working?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope.  Nothing shows yet today at MFP.  So it's Ok if only half of the integration works?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SFDonovan wrote:

Nope.  Nothing shows yet today at MFP.  So it's Ok if only half of the integration works?

Well its not ok in the regard that everything should work, but, it doesn't affect anything if your meals don't go over to fitbit, other than being annoying.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is the lastest from MFP....

March 4, 2015, 2:12pm PST - Hi everyone. We thought we saw signs of our Fitbit backlog catching up, but unfortunately we continue to see a very large backlog of sync requests made to Fitbit's API. We are meeting with Fitbit to make them aware of the scale of the issue, but do not have an updated timeframe for resolution at this point. We realize how much you depend on the health of this integration, and are working closely with Fitbit to get data moving again. When we have a more substantive update we'll post it here.

"What I find interesting about this is that, MFP has been posting daily updates on the problem, but nothing but crickets from FitBit.  I think the Fitbit tracker is one of the best out there but the companies communication and support of its software is rather lacking.  It would be nice to let your paying customers now that there is a problem and they are working on fixing it.  Maybe a blog post, something.  It is not like they don't know who is using the connection between MFP and FitBit.  I have a moto, good customer service is fixing the problem, excellent customer service is making sure it never happens again.  Would be nice for these tech companies to care more about customer service."

Good customer service is solving the customer's problem. Great customer service is making sure it never happens again.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm glad I'm not the only one having an issue. Unfortunately I performed the unlink/relink before I saw the post from MFP. I honestly didn't realize how much I depend on the two working together until this happened. It has really contributed to my success in the DietBet I am in and I have to weigh in Saturday. I've gained weight since this happened. Ugh!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@kenlpeters wrote:

Here is the lastest from MFP....

March 4, 2015, 2:12pm PST - Hi everyone. We thought we saw signs of our Fitbit backlog catching up, but unfortunately we continue to see a very large backlog of sync requests made to Fitbit's API. We are meeting with Fitbit to make them aware of the scale of the issue, but do not have an updated timeframe for resolution at this point. We realize how much you depend on the health of this integration, and are working closely with Fitbit to get data moving again. When we have a more substantive update we'll post it here.

"What I find interesting about this is that, MFP has been posting daily updates on the problem, but nothing but crickets from FitBit.  I think the Fitbit tracker is one of the best out there but the companies communication and support of its software is rather lacking.  It would be nice to let your paying customers now that there is a problem and they are working on fixing it.  Maybe a blog post, something.  It is not like they don't know who is using the connection between MFP and FitBit.  I have a moto, good customer service is fixing the problem, excellent customer service is making sure it never happens again.  Would be nice for these tech companies to care more about customer service."

Fortunately, mine has been working again for the past couple days.. but I agree, Fitbit never posts anything when this happens, and it happens every couple months. So I'm sure they are WELL aware of the ongoing issue. Everytime they do answer a post here, they act like it is a user side issue and tell people to unlink/relink. They never have any other solution. Then it magically starts working again a few days later. I've come to now just expect this to happen every few months, and I don't see it getting fixed permanently any time soon, if ever. If Fitbit can't even be bothered with posting some kind of status about the issue, why would they care about fixing this long term?

Best Answer
I am having the same issue with my Fitbit surge. It is not syncing to myfitnesspal. 😞
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mtodd50

FWIW - Mine syncs fine. Just checked.

Best Answer
0 Votes