Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Treadmill run and strava sync?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Hi everyone, i have used fitbit surge for about 3week. Previously, i only ran free run so it worked correctly to sync with strava. But 2 days ago, i used it for treadmill run, but it didn't sync with strava. So i try free run and it worked properly.

So I would like to ask "is fitbit and sync treadmill run with strava?"
Best Answer
26 REPLIES 26

Welcome to the Community @PisZa! Strava works well with those activities where a GPS feature is involved. However, they also want to tracker indoor activities. You should take a look to this Strava article: Stationary/Treadmill Activities.

I hope this clarifies your doubt. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Why Fitbit ignored this when this is available with Garmin? Treadmill activities on blaze are not showing in strava. Any fix for this?
Best Answer

Hello @Lavan, thank you for sharing your concerns with us. Note that Strava does not support indoor activities and the integration developed to sync with your Fitbit account only supports the following:

• Exercises with GPS data recorded with Fitbit will be sent to Strava. Heart rate data will be included when it's available
  • Exercises recorded with Fitbit's app or devices that do not include GPS data are Not currently sent to Strava

This is the reason these type of exercise are not synced. With third party partners is difficult to modify or add features since these apps are not developed by Fitbit, but from the third party initiative. 

To learn more about third party integration please visit this post.

See you around and thank you for your feedback.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Strava does support treadmill activities from Garmin Connect IQ devices.  I've seen it in the Strava feed several times.  Not sure why fitbit and Strava can't get this working. 

From a developer standpoint, it should be updates to the TCX file or whatever gets sent to Strava, with just GPS positioning data not included.  So time, heart rate, distance.  For whatever reason, even though fitbit tracks all this informaton for a "Treadmill" workout, it won't export that data in the TCX file.

I've added a feature request for people who want this: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Allow-Treadmill-workouts-to-upload-to-Strava/idi...

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner, thank you so much for your input and for joining us in this thread. I've reviewed your suggestions and it would be great implementation for this type of scenarios. You got my vote!

Our product development teams consult regularly the feature suggestion board to ensure we're delivering on what our users need and want. In this case the integration is from a third party app but all the feedback is important for us as this helps us to improve the Fitbit experience.

See you around and stay awesome!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Wanted to bump this for the folks who just got the Ionic with the Strava app. Treadmill workouts still don't sync for me (unless I'm doing something wrong). Has this been addressed, or are there any plans to do so? It's not really a big deal except that I feel like a slacker on Strava because I only run outside half the time, and I feel like people are judging me for only running 2-3 times a week, even though I run 5 or 6 times in reality.

Best Answer

I also just got an ionic for xmas and i'm completely bummed out that i can't sync indoor runs. half the year i'm running indoors and i've been tracking my runs with a ipod nano w/ nike app since 2011. Please tell me that there's a solution for this or I'll be promptly returning my Ionic. 

Best Answer

This is immensely disappointing. After the first run of the new year on a treadmill (weather did not permit me to run outdoor) eagerly using Ionic as my Christmas gift, I had to key in my 15 km run by hand in Strava. First run of the year - and it was not synced. 

So I packed up the Ionic back in its box and switched back to Garmin. To not sync treadmill run to Strava is inexplicable. It's a legit run. Why ignore it?

Best Answer

This is a total nightmare. I'm glad i kept my box because this thing is going back for something that works on a treadmill. This seems insane that a 9 year old ipod has this feature but the ionic doesn't. wth!

Best Answer

Is this a planned feature in the future? If not, i'm returning mine asap and getting one that works on the treadmill. Please advise. 

Best Answer

Why not just export your treadmill run and import it into Strava?  It may not be the most efficient way to do things but I've done it with my Garmin so the data points match.  There's really not a need to manually put in the run. I have a Garmin and what the treadmill says my pace is and what the Garmin says the pace is are completely different.  Treadmill runs on Strava don't count towards challenges although it does count toward mileage obviously.  

Best Answer

Dave_f: Both Garmin and Fitbit can be made to match your treadmill (if you think that's important) by adjusting the stride lengths. You can do this under settings. Both sport watches will also auto-calibrate your stride lengths if you run enough GPS-monitored runs. Note that these calibrated runs do not always match treadmill distance. I will leave it up to you to choose whether you want to trust treadmill or GPS-calibrated stride lengths. 

However, this is not I am talking about. Why do I need to go through an extra step of exporting for Fitbit? It is clearly the attitude of Fitbit. They have linked Strava app on Ionic (which Garmin doesn't), yet Garmin syncs. And the attitude is - if it is not GPS data, your run doesn't count.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dave_f, There's nothing to export from fitbit that can be consumed by Strava.  The tcx file generated by fitbit for treadmill is basically empty.  I'd imagine garmin is sending distance and HR to strava in it's tcx.

Best Answer

I guess I will add my 2 cents to keep this one alive. Any update on treadmill runs? It's winter and cold outside so I have been doing a lot of treadmill running...and getting judged by my Strava friends on my not running recently since they don't sync up. Strava does support indoor runs as they have an option for Treadmill and all. I agree with a few other posters, Garmin does this and I switched over when mine stopped working but now am wondering if that was the right decision, not just because of Strava.

Best Answer

Please get this working.  Super disappointing.  Any updates?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

Is there any update on a solution to this problem? Will post to Strava too but surely the commercials should be screaming out to both Fitbit and Strava. As we are heading into winter I’ll be doing less outdoor runs and more treadmill running. The issue I am having is getting my heart rate data over to Strava for tracking in Stava’s premium “Summit” which impacts my fitness score. Without a solution I’ll either need to cancel Summit or change fitness tracker provider as Christmas approaches. Alternatively is it possible to alter the Fitbit Vo2 max to include treadmill runs? For some reason speed and distance targets aren’t enough for me, I need a number on how fit I am!

Thanks in advance 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Jon1417.

According to what was posted in this thread, the issue was resolved. Could you confirm if the situation has persisted at all? It shouldn't be happening any more.

Look forward to your reply. 

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure you read what this thread was about Lanuza. This thread is regarding treadmill activities not syncing to strava even though Strava accepts treadmill activities.

The article you linked was in regards to GPS related activities not syncing across temporarily.

Best Answer

I think you should sync it with other treadmills.

Best Answer
0 Votes