Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Privacy Concerns re: Google Health Announcement

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I'd like a clear confirmation from Fitbit that this will be opt-in, and that my data will not be sent to Google without my consent. Google is an untrustworthy company who has abused user data countless times, and I will need a refund for my Ionic if it turns out this is done without my consent.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/30/fitbit-will-use-google-cloud-to-make-its-data-available-to-doctors...

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner @WillRobinson

• We are not sharing our user data with Google.
  • We are partnering with Google to host Fitbit user data, similar to other cloud/hosting service providers.
  • We will continue to give Fitbit users choices regarding how their information is shared, including when it comes to EMRs or other integrations.
Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

I agree 100% with ocdtrekkie.

This needs to be opt-in for the most sensitive health data and location tracking sharing with not only Google but also to Health Care providers.  What happens if you are not in good health and at a certain age where you can potentially be denied health care access („data pre-existing condition“) or your rates skyrocket.  This is a very negative announcement.

I see no discussion about users and data sharing. This is a very deceptive given this major announcement and would advise all future users to clearly state and understand where your data is going.  Instead of Firbit selling devices to help and encourage people to exercise and thus be in better shape, they will now be like Facebook where users are the product. But the consequences are far worse because of health and location tracking data. 

Fitbit - your new data sharing policy for users states that you now share and monetize all user data with your partners. How can we optin/out, What is your NEW policy now.  I also noticed that your privacy policy was updated April 23rd to prepare for data sharing with Google and other third party services.  I read your privacy policy and does not clearly state the implications wrt Google announcement. It appears now that your compacy has shifted 180 degree turn to being a data collection of users to sell and monetize with Google and Health providers.  Who knows what the repercussions will be in the future.

Sorry, but I do not trust FITBIT until they can guarantee this.  I feel like we users are being DUPED. 

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

@WillRobinsonFWIW, almost every website updated their privacy policy right around April 25th. Because the EU begins enforcing GDPR on May 25th, and most websites announce their privacy policies at least 30 days in advance.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner @WillRobinson

• We are not sharing our user data with Google.
  • We are partnering with Google to host Fitbit user data, similar to other cloud/hosting service providers.
  • We will continue to give Fitbit users choices regarding how their information is shared, including when it comes to EMRs or other integrations.
Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Agreed. Google will not get my health data. Holding back on the Versa purchase until this is clear.

Best Answer

Sorry but not solved.  This is not accurate and conflicts with public official statements made by Fitbit and Google executives:

Our goal with the Cloud Healthcare API is to help transform the healthcare industry through the use of cloud technologies and machine learning,” said Gregory J Moore, VP of Healthcare, Google. “Healthcare is increasingly moving to the cloud, and the adoption of machine learning will allow the industry to unlock insights that can lead to significant clinical improvements for patients.”

- You are hosting, combining and integrating sensitive user data on Google cloud and integrating this via the new Google Healthcare API“

- Between Fitbit and Google, you will supply the sensitive user health and location data, applying machine learning to it to Health Insurance companies like United Health Care and EMRs.

- These insurance companies this can adjust your rates or determine new patient elidigbility based on the user data supplied from Fitbit to Google Heathcare API to Insurance providers

- Press releases outline the Pros. What are the cons and risks to users? Can users fully control their data or not use the service at all.

- It appears Fitbit has reversed its business model completely without existying user consent to be more like Facebook‘s deception and non-transparent data model.

This conflicts 100% with your statement above.  Your latest privacy policy, which is always subject to change, conflicts 100% with what you just said Erick.

Regarding Point 3: Where is the opt-out policy in your service - there is NO choice today to opt-out of my data sharing to Google‘s Healthcare API and health insurers. How do I delete all my data today? Will health insurance providers have access to my data in any form or electronic means and without my explicit consent? Ifso, how will this be used? What are the use cases and potential ramifications to users?  This is draconian and Orwellian.

Warning: I hope all prospective new buyers of Fitbit devices realize und understand what this new partnership can potentially adversely affect you in the future.  I would advise ALL prospective new buyers to seriously consider buying Fitbit devices until this opt-out policy is in place.  For existing Fitbit users, you will get better safety under GDPR if you state you live in a EU country.  I would advise being careful about what you supply in your personal profile and review the security and privacy settings carefully.  Despite this, your data will be supplied as stated by FitBit execs to health insurers via Google‘s Healthcare API.  Not good and I wasted my money on an Ionic and would like a refund.

Signed

Danger! Will Robinson

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

Your statement seems contrary to the claims that you'll be using the Google Healthcare API, @ErickFitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Me too - I’m really debating whether I dump my Fitbit. The latest upgrades were awful & not thought through. The UX is atrocious. I don’t want google anywhere near my data. So do we get opt in/ opt out - yes or no? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep very unhappy with this move and I do not believe the bland statement. Unless I can categorically opt out then FitBit and I will part company. This is all about the money.

The Fitbit acquisition comes despite recent antitrust scrutiny faced by Google after a US government inquiry into its impact on competition was announced in September. The investigation is meant to focus on the company’s advertising practices but could extend to its acquisitions of competing firms.

Google already keeps a trove of information on people, including location data, search history and YouTube viewing history. The company also creates advertisement profiles of users based on information such as location, gender, age, hobbies, career, interests, relationship status, possible weight (need to lose 10lb in one day?) and income.

Fitbit says health and wellness data will not be used for advertising, but that leaves plenty of other information for Google to gather, including users’ locations, device info, friends’ lists, messages, profile photos, participation in employee wellness programs, and usage logs,”

Fitbit is required to delete our data if we request it under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which went into effect in 2018. Under GDPR, users are also entitled to copies of their own data.

Best Answer

Thanks for your response. I am really hacked off about this as the fitbit was good for me to have to monitor my health - I am very fit and healthy but a very poor family history which spurred me to get one. I am really considering dropping it now especially as I have a really big thing about google and microsoft and their blatant misuse of data. Unless I can opt out it will be going to the bin 😞 Very disappointed customer - but they dont seem to care about us at all. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Apparently Google is buying Fitbit; (!) will your privacy protection decrease?

Best Answer
0 Votes