Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strava Fitbit syncing down?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I had a run not sync last week assumed this was due to me mistakenly pausing it. Did a full run no pauses today and the run hasn't synced is this just me or is everyone having troubles tried all the suggested fixes no luck.

not keen to manually do it seems to produce odd results but maybe that was just the pasused one

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

check with Fitbit support, I just double checked and Fitbit servers are responsible for sending activities to Strava 

(when setting up sync, the auth process starts on fitbit.com webpage and then clearly states "Authorize Fitbit to connect to Strava" and "Fitbit will be able to upload activities...").

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes

Actually the Fitbit page simply sends you to the Strava page where the authorize process begins. Strava sends you to a special page on Fitbit where the user tells Fitbit this is ok.

Technically yes Fitbit hands over or receives the data to/from a third party only at the request of the third party.

As stated in the Third Party FAQ at https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Third-Party-Integrations/Third-Party-Apps-FAQ/td-p/1874190/Screenshot_2017-05-30-19-02-50.png

Screenshot_2017-05-30-19-04-36.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue have you setup the sync? 

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 4.12.32 PM.png

p.s. all other Fitbit 3rd party apps look like this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 4.29.52 PM.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not to Strava but yes to a G-sheet which requires some script work on my part. Yes to Wallgreens, yes to Achievemint, FitRPG, Trendweight, Stepitup, MyVirtualMission, IFTTT(3 fitbit accounts get synced to one G-Sheet), Walking4Fun, MapMyFitness, and Everymove.

Fitbit provides tyr API and lets tye Third party do their own thing. With Strava if you sync the tracker before the run is stopped, they will also be able to retrieve your heart rate durring the run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue Fitbit API requires auth using a url like this:

www.fitbit.com/oauth2/authorize?...

So every app you mentioned uses that basic URL as part of the Fitbit API.

However when you setup Strava-Fitbit sync, the auth url is:

https://www.strava.com/oauth/authorize?...

Fitbit is clearly using the Strava API in this integration, there is no Fitbit API involved. 

Despite what you think, or think you read, Fitbit servers are sending activities to Strava, and reading activities from Strava. So if things stop syncing, the first party I would contact is Fitbit as they are responsible for the integration.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here id a screenshot of Fitbitbits instructions. Line one, got to strava.comScreenshot_2017-05-30-19-56-41.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue read the screenshot you posted carefully, line one you start at "strava.fitbit.com" and that is definitely a fitbit.com server. Here is how it works:

1. Go to strava.fitbit.com and click blue connect button, that blue connect button is 
"strava.fitbit.com/auth/strava" which per the Strava API redirects to:

2. www.strava.com/oauth/authorize?... which follows the Strava API for 3rd parties, and we can see that Fitbit is a registered Strava developer and has a client ID of 3115. After clicking authorize, you are taken back to

3. strava.fitbit.com/auth/strava just as Fitbit defined in step 1 when they redirected you to Strava website

In this integration, Fitbit is requesting permission to connect with Strava. This is the opposite of the 3rd party integrations you've used.

Best Answer
0 Votes

oddly I clicked the links in your post this morning and it worked (I have done all these steps before but I thought I would try this, got confused though seemed to attempt to sync my run three times).

Cheers for all the answers.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@aaron1uk Happy to hear it's working again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes