Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync with healthvault

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello.

I am wandering why the Heart info from HealthVault is not visible into the Fitbit Dashboard, but is true for the reverse?

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Healthvault does not sync back. It is only a one way sync to Healthvault. Blame Microsoft. They control what syncs back.  🙂

Best Answer

Ah, so Fitbit heart data gets to Healthvault but not the other way around? Then I'll try entering the data manually in Fitbit from now on to see if that get's it to both automaticallty. Recently bought a blood pressure meter and since it has completely crappy (and non-functional) software for PC connection, I've been adding results manually into Healthvault. Was wondering why it did not show up in Fitbit, since all other data seems to sync just fine.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is not true, I think. Problem might be that the records are different:

Heathvault has one record type for heart data:

date+time, systolic, diastolic, heartrate and indication of arithmia (yes/no/unknown)

Fitbit logs include multiple record types:

Heart: date+time, heartrate (three different activity level, with possibly custom ones to add)

BP: date+time, systolic, diastolic

For data entered in FB the software responsible for the sync (which I think can only be Fitbit, read on...) should match up both a FB BP record and a matching FB Heart "Normal" log on the same date/time and merge those into on HV record.

This is not what's happening, and I blame FB sync software for not doing this.

Why?

Because when I enter heartrate+BP data in HV, it does not sync to FB, so HV does not seem to sync/copy heart data entered there to FB at all. Which is consistent with the access requirements Fitbit has to the (for HV) "main repository of data", which includes heart rated records, and it does include read/update/create/delete rights. So HV does nothing but allow Fitbit access to my data.

I did switch to entering both BP and "Normal" healthrate in FB, to see if that could be a way to get data measured by my blood pressure sensor into both HV and FB.

From this I see the following: FB only syncs BP data to HV, creating bloodpressure records that do not have the heartrate and arythmia fields set (and incidently: adding ",000" after each time, what's *that* about?!), while I'd hope they'd match up BP data with a time matching Heart "Normal" record as described above.

You can see the following if you go to your FB profile and go to the Sharing tab (lowest tab on the left):

"HealthVault lets you gather, store and share health information online.

Fitbit can update your Microsoft HealthVault record daily. (Find out more)

Fitbit will write your data to your HealthVault record as follows:

[...]

Systolic/Diastolic to HV Bloodpressure"

In other words: Fitbit themselves say exactly what they are doing, and HV does nothing but allow access to its data store (=your data, stored in HV for you).

I would like one place to enter my heart-related data (and I would prefer it to be HV, as this is one record per measurement I take, with one data entry point an one measurement time to enter) and still have this shown in HV bloodpressure records and in both FB Heart and FB BP logs.

I see two main options for this, currently with changes on the FB end:

Option 1:

- Fitbit will include the merging logic I have described above to merge FB BP logs with FB Heart "Normal" logs with the same time stamp in a single HV Bloodpressure record that they already create now when they sync with HV.

- Fitbit will correct the timestamp field on that record to no longer write them with the time with ",000" attached.

- Then I can continue to enter my heart-measurements in FB logs (having to enter two logs, with the same time, but still) and have both HV and FB updated.

Option 2:

- Fitbit will change their sync logic to not only write records to HV, but make use of the read permissons on bloodpressure records they also request as part of the connection they make to Healthvault to access the users data on their behalf.

- FB with then read bloodpressure records from HV and import them into the FB log as two records: one FB Heart log to store the "Normal" (or possibly "Resting"?) heartrate, and one FB BP log to store systolic/diastolic

- Then I can simply add one record in HV when I do one heart-measurement and have the data in my FB logs as well.

Of course, if Fitbit will correct/improve their sync logic, there are two more options:

Option 3: let Heathvault do syncing, instead of just allowing third party apps get access to data. I do not see this scenario happening, as I have had contact about Healthvault about problems in the past, and they do not see very helpful to individual users. Also, the main use for HV is data storage, not interaction with a myriad of third party apps; this is where the app access functionality is for, and the rest if not their responsibility. But I will try to ask them anyway.

Option 4: I forget about getting my heart-measurements to show up in Fitbit at all and just enter data in Healthvault (as there I can enter it greatest easy, because of te single record) because that where I ultimately want the data to reside. And I tell everyone that Fitbit is great, except for logging heart-measurements, as these just not sycn correctly.

I would prefer option 2, but if nothing changes I will switch to option 4, obviously.

So, Fitbit, the ball is now in your park.

What will you do with this...?

Best Answer