Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa not working after swim

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got in the pool today with my children and turned on the swim exercise. Now my fitbit Versa won't come on. What do I need to do. I just received it Monday. Thanks in advance!!!

Best Answer
120 REPLIES 120
I guess the only way for the versa to work is not next to water...
Best Answer
0 Votes

If it doesn’t charge return it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m on to # 3!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I returned 2 of them and if this one does it, I’ll keep returning them. 

Best Answer

Well, after returning the watch, i got a new watch this week. From all the responses in this thread, i think i will keep it away from the water... 

Best Answer

Since this is such a popular thread, I'll add my story too in hopes that fitbit will start paying attention.

Background: I purchased this watch and been wearing it daily since June 2018, but haven't tried swimming with it until yesterday. Prior to that, I have worn it in the shower, although most days take it off. I have previously worn it to play in water/ at the pool with my toddler, so it has been submerged, although not for the length of time nor under the same forces that swimming laps places on it. Only one prior glitch- the watch randomly stopped syncing to my phone, but I was able to re-connect it easily. 

So, the first time swimming (9/04 approx. 50 mins/ 40 laps- I'm six months preggers, so not fast, no diving, and definitely not remotely deep) and the watch went completely haywire- it started off fine, but midway through my workout it started flipping through multiple menus for at least 2 mins (without me touching it/ dried the face). This happened a couple of times. Then wouldn't let me stop the timer with the bottom right button.  Trying to get that to work, it got stuck on 2 screens I could swipe between but couldn't back out of because the left button didn't work. Despite it being stuck and the buttons not working, it claimed it had synced, although my swim workout was nowhere to be found. It must have dried out enough overnight for the buttons to function and everything else on the watch seems to work properly, but now won't sync to any other device. Talked to customer service for over 45 mins trying to get it to sync, despite the fact I tried everything recommended on their help pages prior to calling, and it still couldn't be found by 2 different devices. I just felt like they were trying to solve only part of the problem- i.e. bluetooth connection, and not the actual problem- THE WATCH ISN'T AS WATER RESISTANT OR "SWIM PROOF" AS THEY CLAIM. Lots of discussions on the forums with other people having the same complaint, so this can't be news to Fitbit.

Finally got offered a replacement after explaining to the rep that if we factory reset it/ get it refurbished (the next step they wanted to take and who knows how much time I'd have to spend doing that?) and that worked, it still wasn't addressing the issue that swimming causes it to malfunction. And who knows how many times would I have to go through this rigmarole before they conceded that?? He went to talk to his supervisor, and offered me a replacement.
When pressed, I was told that this wasn't how it normally behaves if water penetrates the watch, to which I had to inform the rep that plenty of posts on these forums contradict that, and the simple fact that I've been wearing and using it for 4 months without this happening AND it happened during the first time swimming- all indications are that water is the root of the problem. Fixing the bluetooth connection was just a bandaid, but not going to solve/ help me with the fact I couldn't swim with it or trust it getting wet.

Considering I purchased it BECAUSE of the swim feature, in addition to GPS and wrist HR (I jumped at this watch as soon as it came out because I was waiting for those 3 features in an everyday wearable), I feel like that was such a huge waste of my time to not address the whole and real problem from the get go.

I realize customer service needs to go through their extensive trouble shooting list, but not once did I feel like we were going to get to the root of the problem if I didn't press them for a solution outside of this part of the problem (and acting as if it was my phone's issue/ not the watch's).

To add insult to injury, the customer service rep couldn't give me any hope that this replacement has been updated/ re-engineered to specifically address this problem other than a stock answer that the replacement "should" fix this issue and Fitbit's engineers are constantly responding to feedback on these forums. 
I'll update when I get the replacement and test it out by swimming, but I'm not hopeful based on other's comments to the forums that got replacements.

Bottom line: if you are interested in this watch at all because it claims to be swim proof, I would save your money or spend it elsewhere.

Question for others with this problem: how did you get a refund? If watch #2 dies, I'd rather have my $ back than trying to fight this battle over and over again.

Best Answer
Look at the back for condensation in the sensors. If there is some there, take a picture with your case number beside it and send it back to them and post it EVERYWHERE.... I was told “it’s not supposed to do that”. My husband is expecting his 3rd one.... I’m no longer wearing mine in the pool....and I swim everyday unable to use my Versa for what I bought it for.... and I’ve yet to be able to. Sync and play music from it to my Flyers. Grrrr

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Thanks for the info, that's helpful. Sorry to hear about your similar issues. It's very frustrating to purchase a not monetarily cheap product for a specific purpose- one that the company specifically states that the product is geared for (in this case swimming)- only to not be able to use it for that purpose. 

I get the sense that Fitbit is trying to skirt over this issue and not directly deal with it. It also seems to me that every moderator on here responding to the water issues with their product (Versa) comments with useless and frankly insulting instructions or responses, and never once says, "hey, sorry your experience with our product isn't satisfactory". That would actually go a long way in my book, because then I would feel like I'm being heard and not just getting a "we here at Fitbit are just going to pretend everything is fine here" response. 

Best Answer

Mine appears to have died after swimming too. I got mine in April and it was happy in the shower. I went on holiday in August and went swimming. Because I'm supposed to be able to track this exercise. Result? Dead Versa. What's been worse is trying to send it back. Once I'd verified I could not do anything to try and reset it because it was totally dead I was told to send it back for a replacement. So far so simple

I was then sent the returns address by the support team - to the Netherlands. I sent it back on 25th August. It failed to clear customs due to a problem with the address. The one they gave me. It's now on it's way back to me via Belfast. Royal Mail tell me I'll get it back in 5 to 10 days. I expressed my surprise to the guy at Royal Mail. He told me to Google it. Seems its not just me having this problem.

I've had enough. I'd been delighted when I bought and received it but this experience has left me stone cold. I don't want another one as a faulty producy is one thing but the customer service when things go wrong is even worse judging by my own, and all the other sad forum posts I'm now seeing.

I'm going for the Apple watch too. At least if that went wrong I can just take it to the store. I live in the UK and there is no UK return centre. Lesson learnt too late. Bye bye Fitbit.

Best Answer

I am in touch with customer service regarding my Versa not working with the swim app. They told me to log it manually!!! How is this practical to count each length you do, know how many calories you have burned and the exact times you started and finished the swim! I am quite insulted by being told to do this. They also stated they are ‘working hard’ to fix the issue but couldn’t give me a time frame of when it will be fixed. Personally, I think they are just saying this to fob people off as they are running out of answers to explain why it isn’t doing what it says it’s supposed to. 

And I haven’t even been offered a replacement!

Best Answer

I feel your pain. I sent an email demanding a refund and a confirmation that they had support had received it yesterday. Guess what? No reply. I''ve just sent another request for a response.

Best Answer

Mine is not working either. I bought it because it tracked swimming,as my prior Fitbit did not. I swam with it A bunch of times but after only owning it for 2 months, I have a black screen. I can’t reset the device because I see nothing. If I push buttons, nothing. This is frustrating and disappointing. I considered going with the Apple Watch but went with the versa instead. 

Best Answer

its very disappointing isn't it. £200 for a piece of kit that breaks after just a few months. I really want a refund as the thought of having to go through the same thing again and dealing with the support team doesn't bear thinking about. I just want out. There's nothing about these Versa forums that's giving confidence at sticking with it.

Best Answer

Same issue here. I purchased the Versa with the hope of logging laps in the pool in addition to all the other features. I ordered it just in time to take on vacation to the Bahamas. It arrived on the Friday and it was dead on the following Tuesday when I took the first dip in the pool at the resort.

I decided not to wear the watch out in the ocean, but I put it back on prior to getting in the pool. When I got out of the pool, it was still working, but after a few minutes, the watch got so hot it was burning my wrist. A few minutes later it stopped working and wouldn't come back on. I left it to dry out for a couple of days and then snapped it into the charger. After a few minutes, it was really hot and a small puddle of water formed under the charger. I quickly unplugged it and returned it to Sam's Club. I am waiting on the 2nd one to arrive and will try again. If this one fails the swim test, I will just get the refund and go with the Apple Watch.

Best Answer

This is the second time I have to return my Fitbit Versa. Not only does it stop working after swimming (2 watches in less than 4 months), it gets really hot when put on charger.  I probably will do the same and go with a different product.

Best Answer

Update: I just ordered my 4th Versa in less than a year.  This is ridiculous!

Best Answer

I requested & got my Versa for my birthday in May 2018. I wanted it because of the swim laps feature. I golf all Spring - FallI and swim laps and aquacize in the winter. Yesterday was my pool trip. All went well. Today my Versa died within 15 minutes. I guess mine was a faulty one. I'll call the Support line in the morning. Happy I have my old Charge 2 to fall back on.

Best Answer

So is this 3rd Versa working in the pool? I've just tried swimming with my Versa after wearing it for 7 months. It died on the 2nd swim day. Customer Service was awesome.

Best Answer

Mine became useless after an hour's swim and prior to that I updated the fw. My Versa battery only lasted 2 days, it kept rebooting and right after my swim, it kept turning the left button on although I didn't press it and won't let me go back to home screen. The ludicrous thing is i took a hairdryer to blow dry my fitbit after my swim. It's obviously NOT waterproof!

Best Answer

I think it is a quality control issue. Some are working fine. My Versa was part of the original release. There are other swimmers out there with no Versa issues.  

I reported the problem with my Versa to the Fitbit Customer Service. They tested it over the phone & confirmed I needed mine replaced. A replacement is being mailed to me. I will post how the replacement works in water.
Best Answer
0 Votes