Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Versa processor? Any teardowns?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I found this part for the Ionic, it's possible they share the same processor but I'd like to confirm

A single Cortex M4 at 120Mhz seems a little limiting for future app capabilities, since even the Apple Watch series 1/2 with a 500Mhz dual core of something that seems Cortex A7ish is getting pokey now

Moderator Edit: Removed External Links

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SunsetRunner wrote:

@RobertoME it's normal for "proprietary" products to list their technical specifications. See for example: computers, smartphones, cars. 

Thanks for the backup on my casual interest, I'm 90% sure now that it's the same Cortex M4 I mentioned in the OP, Blaze used the M3, Ionic used the M4. 

Interesting little chip. Just a 2D graphics accelerator rather than a 3D GPU (like the apple watch or android wear) too, hence the pictures and largely 2D faces. So this is definitely out of the Pebble lineage and even aspects of the OS and SDK may be similar. 

Since links are removed, look up the part number TZ1201XBG if anyone is interested and as nerdy as me lol 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hi there @tipoo, note that from internal aspect of the Fitbit Versa, this is proprietary technology and as moderators we do not have at our disposition these details.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the feedback you have provided on this topic. Rest assure we re always working to improve and enhance the Fitbit experience.

See you around and thank you for your participation in our Community.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

@RobertoME it's normal for "proprietary" products to list their technical specifications. See for example: computers, smartphones, cars. 

Thank you for continuing to use form replies to make this forums experience a positive one for its users, and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Thanks for the backup on my casual interest, I'm 90% sure now that it's the same Cortex M4 I mentioned in the OP, Blaze used the M3, Ionic used the M4. 

Interesting little chip. Just a 2D graphics accelerator rather than a 3D GPU (like the apple watch or android wear) too, hence the pictures and largely 2D faces. So this is definitely out of the Pebble lineage and even aspects of the OS and SDK may be similar. 

Since links are removed, look up the part number TZ1201XBG if anyone is interested and as nerdy as me lol 

Best Answer

Thanks, man! You're here when fitbit support is rocking the form replies and being impressively unhelpful 🙂   (cc @RobertoME I think we just stole your trade secret, sorry)

Best Answer

Just to parse the main items of interest 

Arm® Cortex®-M4 with FPU 96MHz

RAM: 2.2Mbyte 

Toshiba TZ1201XBG compact graphics processor is an ApP Lite application processor for IoT devices, including wearables. The TZ1201XBG offers graphics performance for wearable applications by incorporating 2.2MB of embedded high-speed SRAM, an advanced LCD controller, and a total of four 2D graphics engines. The TZ1201XBG graphics processor is based on a high-performance 32-bit ARM Cortex-M4F processor capable operating at 96MHz (up to 120MHz with OverDrive).

So yeah, much more Pebble than Apple Watch/WearOS which have fuller processors and 3D graphics, but the flip side of course is days rather than day of battery life. 

Best Answer

There is now a (amateur) teardown on YouTube. On some shots you can clearly see closeup to all chips (even heatshield removed).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wizaard wrote:

There is now a (amateur) teardown on YouTube. On some shots you can clearly see closeup to all chips (even heatshield removed).

Yup got it above, the Toshiba TZ1201XBG is what you want to look into for details, I listed the main specs in the post just above 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know, don't get me wrong, but there was also a request for teardown, so I thought I might add it as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well if the last smartwatch type Fitbit device the other option would be the ARM Cortex M7

Best Answer
0 Votes

But from what I read from the processor wich is a model name compact ARM Cortex M4F GPU  has a standerd speed of 96MHZ and up to 120MHZ with something called overdrive from the stats it seems pretty good for a wearable device processor for low power and decent performance.

Best Answer
0 Votes