Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting TCX data produces an empty file

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I fully understand exactly how to export a tcx file created in the versa and which properly shows a 90 minute exercise on the online dashboard. the 90 minute exercise has all the correct gps and heart rate showing. the dashboard looks fine

but... on a win10 PC when a tcx file is produced by export..it's 1kb in size and totally empty.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity / Word choice

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

I'm having he same issue, Windows 10 with Firefox, been trying to get a data download but only get intact but empty TCX files.

Mine are 511 bytes in size, they can be opened in notepad, no errors but no data.

Getting meaningful intraday data from you guys is like pulling teeth.

I can see it on my screen as long as I'm at the Fitbit site but I and others want the data we rightfully expected. Enough games.

If I have tried to many times to download today or exceeded some data allowance how about some notification.

Steve c

Best Answer

hey try and create a sTRAVA account

sync to that

and then download from there

oh. hang on. wait a minute

that doesn't work either

a. you can't sync existing data. only after strava is connected

b. even that doesn't work anyway

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @tfk and welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community @sjchaps. It was brought to my attention the issue you have reported that is not possible to export a TCX file since this doesn't contain any data.

I appreciate your time to share this issue and certainly this is not a normal behavior. However, I tried to replicated the same scenario and I was unable to obtained the same results.

@tfk you are right, Strava is not the solution as you have mentioned. @sjchaps, I can understand the frustration this issue is causing.

In order to start reviewing this issue, I would like to recommend some workarounds: Please try clearing your browser's cache. Directions on how to clear your cache on a variety of browsers can be found here: http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache 

If the issue continue, please try to use a different web browser.

If even after doing these steps the issue persists, let me know if this is only happening with Versa activities? Which type of exercise are you trying to export through a TCX file? In addition, let me know which web browsers have your tried?

I'll be looking forward to your responses. See you later.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Hi Roberto, Firstly I think I can appreciate your position but would you mind answering my previous questions. Also you seem to have misunderstood my comments regarding the TCX download.

I can download a file and open it in several applications but there's only some html and no data.

I will try your recommendations but would hope you answer my previous questions.

Particularly, if  I can see a graph of my heart rate data on the Fitbit site and there's an option to download should I be able to actually download the data producing what I already see on the screen.

Steve c

Best Answer

What does the ”Recent Excercise” panel in the Dashboard show? Do you see heart rate graphs or small maps?

Apologies for being obvious, but the Versa doesn't have GPS and to get map data you need to have "Connected GPS”  set to "On" for the specific excercise (gear icon on the top left) and wait for the "connected" message before pressing the "start arrow" on the Let's Go! screen.

I couldn't get it to connect yesterday and in fact there is no GPS data for that activity (resulting in a mostly empty TCX file) but the rest are all fine and are a little over 2 MB in size. This is with an HTC 10 running Android Oreo and Windows 10 -- but it shouldn't matter.

Hope this helps,

Reece

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @sjchaps and thank you for your input @Reece_Tarbert. My apologies for the late response.

@sjchaps, thank you for your comments and for letting me know I misunderstood your concern about downloading the TCX file. @Reece_Tarbert brought to the topic an important point. Since is require to have GPS information, for this data be available to download. When the data is not correctly capture for different reasons, it is possible the TCX file doesn't contain any information.

About your previous question, I believe your refer to have the option to download other information like your Heart rate data. In this case, is true heart rate information is very limited and only a few apps are able to access this data with a conditional, like is the case of Strava; that is require to have a GPS activities in order to see heart rate.

At the moment, the option to export heart rate data is under consideration. For more details, I would like to recommend this feature suggestion: Add Heart Rate Data to Export (and more than 30 days of data).

Thank you for your participation and let me know if you have other questions.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Hi Reece Tarbert, and RobertoFitbit, thanks for your interest in my frustration.

To answer your questions I can click on the small map and it creates a much more in depth graph with values and time stamps. This is the data I hope to download.

I will point out if the exercise period is longer the data provided is compresses to fit the screen and less useful.

Roberto, if I can see it on the screen, at the Fitbit site, should I be able to download it using the associated download link? Clearly the data is there.

One more thing I have a Fitbit Charge HR, it does not have GPS.

Steve c

Best Answer
0 Votes

Roberto,

I have the same problem: detailed heart rate is available under

Fitbit.com > Dashbord > Activities > (select one workout) Details

The data is presented on a screen as a chart, i.e. the data was definitely properly collected 

When I click on the three horizontal dots above the chart, I have two options:

export as TCX file

delete workout

When I export and download the file, I use a free software "TCX Converter" to look at the field and export the file

The file comes back as "empty"

I tried uploading the same file to "Strava." Same result: I got an error message that the file is empty.

The question is therefore: why is the TCX file downloaded from FitBit.com empty although the chart shows clearly that you have the data?

Best Answer

Thank you sysedit212 for clarifying my dilemma for Roberto and others struggling to retrieve their data.

Roberto, the question remains unanswered, should I expect to get heart rate data using the download previsions provided within Fitbit's web site? Steve c

Best Answer
I am trying to download a whole workout: https://www.fitbit.
com/activities/exercise/14220507594
please see first screenshot

I am then using TCX Converter to convert the TCX file and export it as csv
file but the file is empty despite all the data visible on Fitbit.com

2. Are you using Mac or Windows computer?
Windows 10

3. What's the browser you're using?
Chrome

Thanks for looking into this!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. Every files shows empty when i try to upload it elsewhere. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm using an IONIC and I want to know if this has been fixed/answered. I'm trying to NOT to be forced to buy another watch (Garmin) to do only GPS tracking of hikes and walks. I want to use THIS watch and bought it for the GPS breadcrumb capabilities. I have a lot of activity, full with data from my hikes, but the TCX files have no data other than the XML tags and date. I import into Garmen software and there is nothing to view. 

Does one have to start a special application to get the GPS data to record?  That would be a bummer because I like to interface with my music played from the watch and you have to exit exercise programs to do that (lack of multi-task in apps that don't run in background). Can anyone assist?

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue. I exported the data for my workout today. On the Dashboard it looks like this:2019-02-01 23_02_23-Fitbit - Activities - Elliptical - Vivaldi.png

When I export the .tcx file for this workout, I get a small file with this content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<TrainingCenterDatabase xmlns="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/TrainingCenterDatabase/v2">
<Activities>
<Activity Sport="Other">
<Id>2019-02-01T15:58:22.000-05:00</Id>
<Creator xsi:type="Device_t" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Name>Fitbit Versa</Name>
<UnitId>0</UnitId>
<ProductID>0</ProductID>
</Creator>
</Activity>
</Activities>
</TrainingCenterDatabase>

This appears to be totally useless as a download of any meaningful information. Am I doing something incorrectly?

Best Answer

TCX export functionality obviously is broken. This has nothing to do with the browser as there is some xml data just no Fitbit data in the exported file.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi t77, Unfortunately it appears impossible to retrieve your data without the help of 3rd party groups aligned with Fitbit. Most of these 3rd parties have motives of their own but this link will take you to the group I successfully used to collect my data. Once you sign up the data will be available for down load on a date format using comma separated variables. This data needs to be loaded into a spread sheet for viewing and graphing, once mastered it works well. Paste the link in your browser address bar and follow the instructions under the Fitbit link and sign up, I have had no negative impacts signing up to this group.

Good luck, Steve c

https://www.squashleagues.org/Login?message=

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a working answer on this thread: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/ratings/ratingdetailpage/message-uid/4821622/rating-system/forum_sol...

It says, "It is actually possible to export the data in TCX format but it requires jumping through a couple of hoops. First you need to export the workout using the Fittostrava website. You will need to connect it to your Fitbit and Stava accounts (it uses Fitbit APIs) and allow it some permissions. It will then export the data to Strava where you will then be able to export/download as a TCX file."

Best Answer
0 Votes