Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa steps inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Saturday my Versa read over 35K steps and 1.21 mile walked. Didn't wear it Sunday. Monday it read 238 steps first thing in the morning without it being worn. Obviously there is something very wrong with this $200 little piece of equipment. Can someone provide insight?

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

It's great to see you around @SunsetRunner.

I would like to know if you keep having issues with your Versa step count and if you have contacted our support team, have they offer you a solution for this?

Hope to hear from you soon. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just woke up with 2,000 steps on mine... Just got it yesterday. Not sure why its saying 2,000...

Best Answer

Good morning!

I did contact the support team. I was told that my unit is defective and to
send back for replacement. Shipped it out on the 14th.

"Let's not love with words or speech, but with action and truth." -1 John
3:18-

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

I have had some problems with the step count as well.  I was walking around at an average pace and my versa probably didn't count a good 500 steps.  It was stuck on 6777 for like 15-30 minutes.  I tried doing the reset multiple times which didn't fix it.  Finally, I made my stride a little bigger which helped.... but, I am confused because I was taking legitimate steps that it wasn't registering.  It wasn't until I purposely power walked that it started counting again.   I tried checking the wrist sensitivity as well as there are forums on that saying that is what changes sensitivity.  However, I already have it programmed for my non-dominant hand, which is supposed to be more sensitive.  So.... IDK... Is this a normal thing?  Should I have to be purposefully power walking for the versa to count my steps?  If that's the case, cool cool,  I don't care, I just need to adjust to play by the rules.  My wife an I are in a competition and mostly, I was annoyed that I wasn't having steps counted when I was trying to "out-step" her.  Anyways,  I ramble on....  Thanks for any knowledge on the matter.  

Best Answer

Thanks for the update @SunsetRunner, I am glad to hear that you will be receiving a new watch, at the moment of receiving it, just follow the instructions provided in the How do I set up my Fitbit device? article to set it up.

Now @AmberCumins welcome and @spiceboson great to see here. Thanks for letting us know about your step counting issue and for troubleshooting this by yourselves. If you haven't already read our information and tips about improving accuracy, see the How accurate are Fitbit devices? article.

Factors such as tracker placement, dominant or non-dominant wrist, and stride length can all affect the number of steps recorded. If after taking these factors into account, you still think your watch is significantly undercounting or overcounting steps, please try the following:

1. Wear your Versa.
2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
3. Then check your watch to see your step count.

Let me know the outcome. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same issue. This morning I woke up and my Fitbit said 5k steps. Do I return this to the store where I bought it because I have a warranty with them or send to Fitbit?

Best Answer

I'm on my 3rd Versa with the issue of counting steps when I am sitting still. I was on the phone with support today. They told me its a firmware issue and they are working on a fix. My original one worked until the first firmware update. Problem is, fitbit has no way to roll back to a previous version of the firmware. So we are stuck till the figure this out.

Best Answer

Ugh!  I'm having the same issue of significantly under-counted steps. Map My Walk (using GPS) on my phone at the same time, I can see that it did not record over a mile of my 5 mile walk!!  That's a lot of steps to miss!

I'll be keeping an eye out for an update since you're saying there's a firmware problem.

Best Answer

They're all defective and over counting. This is been going on since it came out

Best Answer

Yeah same happens with me I just purchased it 2 days back and ditched samsung gear s3 just I thought Fitbit will be more accurate in the fitness thing but may be i am wrong. I have been using it from last two days and it is counting steps while sleeping as well as while I am riding also and also I saw that it is  counting floor while I am in lift. It is ridiculous that I have invested so much money in the product and it is not giving me result nearly to 50% also. and I have gone through many thread regarding these and no one has proper solution about this. i am thing to give it back and go with samsung  gear s3 .:(  

Best Answer

Yea I am about to go back to my Gear S2 classic.  Much better smartwatch even if the battery life sucks

Best Answer

My Versa has been sitting on the counter for most of the day, not being worn, but I have 48K steps registered... which is not accurate. I have walked maybe 2K steps today while wearing the device. What should I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did a factory reset, and haven’t had anymore problems!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am very frustrated with the Versa as the step tracking is off significantly as the unit  undercounts my steps.    I have compared  my steps with my ols Blaze and ithe numbers are significantly different.  I am  very very disappointed with the performance...  Not good.   

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did a factory reset and I'm still experiencing the issue. Calling for
*another* replacement.
Best Answer

I think a replacement might help in those cases, where it counts sitting on the shelf or during charging. But there are a lot of other situations where this is a more firmware driven problem:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Versa/Counting-steps-in-various-situations/td-p/2841219

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I’m experiencing the exact same problem.  This is ridiculous and unacceptable.  Two hundred dollars for a fitness watch that fails and provides inaccurate information.     Looking for insight 

Best Answer
I'm on my 4th unit, inaccurate steps being 2 of them. I just finished
setting it up and already had 274 steps on it. The Versa is junk!!
Best Answer

Same problem here, over 40k steps recorded during the night. Multiple reset attempts do not reset the device.

Best Answer
0 Votes