Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

504 errors followed by a lot of invalid grants.

Today at 10:16 AM CST, we received quite a few 502 and 504 errors from Fitbit's Cloudflare proxy.  Since then, we've seen a massive increase in "invalid grant" errors when attempting to refresh tokens -- we used to see maybe 1 a day where we couldn't refresh a token, we now have about 10 to 30 an hour.

Can Fitbit assist?

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

I noticed the same problem refreshing tokens, tons of these errors. Apparently this issue just started this morning.

Invalid Response: {"errors":[{"errorType":"invalid_grant","message":"Refresh token invalid:XXX . Visit https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dev.fitbit.com_docs_oauth2&d=DwICaQ&c=iORugZls2LlYyCAZRB3XLg&r=gRR_t3sVc2lRWOMR3vKC9y4kASNHhI2hhEY1EcsZo6Y&m=o54VqRauLbLUHPX1AI7T5rSdhuhN2rQ5gvZGk8gEJlk&s=8im7OCA0VUZDryJwsGwZJIKaT4Inf-9JxJoVJkUmIoo&e=  for more information on the Fitbit Web API authorization process."}],"success":false}

However, tokens are not really invalid, what's going on here! 

Best Answer

It is now 4:31 PM CST and the situation hasn't improved.  In addition to a high rate of "invalid grant" errors being returned, I am now seeing error 500's periodically returned from Fitbit:

<html>
<head><title>500 Internal Server Error</title></head>
<body bgcolor="white">
<center><h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for reporting the error.   @jeaglemc I see in our logs that if executing the call again, you can eventually refresh the token.  Are you seeing a situation where you cannot eventually refresh the token?

@alexperto  are you experiencing the same thing?

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

exactly, executing the refresh_token again works.

so then, is this an API issue?

Thank you for looking into this @GordonFitbit 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When we receive an "invalid grant" we try again a few seconds later (it's been this way in our interface ever since we had to move to the refresh token process).  Currently, this 2nd attempt is often successful but not always.

Today the 2nd attempt has been unsuccessful for 11 users.  Certainly a small number, but to put it in perspective:

• we would only see a few "invalid grants" a day and we saw more than 50 in the last hour
  • our average for not being able to refresh on the 2nd attempt was only 0.5 per day until today

Best Answer
0 Votes

More details here, I've received around 633 invalid_grant notifications so far, I have only tried to refresh 5 of these tokens (5/5 successfully). I don't want to run a bulk script yet until I have a confirmation of this being solved.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@alexperto Would you please private message me your client ID?

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

@jeaglemc   Thank you for the description.   I see that in our logs and we're investigating.

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

@alexperto   Thank you for sending me your client ID.  Your scenario is very similar to @jeaglemc .   We're still investigating the problem.   I hope you have more information for you both tomorrow.

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @alexperto, I haven't heard anything but it appears the invalid_grant situation our system was experiencing was resolved at 4:00 AM CST yesterday morning.  If you're still experiencing it, you may want to let Fitbit know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @jeaglemc, yeah apparently everything is back to normal (partially).

Unfortunately, I just noticed in my logs that 886 tokens became invalid permanently which is a big deal.

@GordonFitbit is it something you can do help with these tokens? I don't want to ask our users to re-authenticate, it's a huge number. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Never mind, I re-run the refresh-token script and only 2 tokens are invalid 🙂 so we are good

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @GordonFitbit , apparently this issue occurred again today, Is it something you already are aware of?

Best Answer
0 Votes