Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding to Public Food DB

Can the web API be used to add or update food and nutritional content in the public food database?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

No, it can only be used to pull activity from your account and feed activity to it.

Best Answer
You can add Private food to a users account using https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/API-Create-Food If enough of the same food is created then FitBit might periodically add popular items into the Public database. What is your use-case for needing to add food with a Public access-level?
Best Answer

Thanks for the response! Our team is part of a quickly growing meal prep takeaway company whose main client base is made of a lot of Fitbit users. We are hoping to utilize the API or other means to add menu items and their nutritional content to the public database, making it easier for Fitbit users who eat our food to find and enter their daily meals. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TracieLuong wrote:

Thanks for the response! Our team is part of a quickly growing meal prep takeaway company whose main client base is made of a lot of Fitbit users. We are hoping to utilize the API or other means to add menu items and their nutritional content to the public database, making it easier for Fitbit users who eat our food to find and enter their daily meals. 

I certainly do not speak for the FitBit API team but I doubt you'll get it added. 

It might even be better for you if they didn't add it, then you could say, "connect our app to have pre-defined food data for FitBit". 

The problem is that there are millions of potential food items that could be added to the Public food database, but that's obviously impossible. Even granting some requests would require occasional updating, which a complicated system would need to be built to handle that properly. I doubt any company wants constant emails, "we stopped selling our strawberry milkshake, please remove it from your public food API".

Best Answer
0 Votes

it would be nice if the database was open to all, it would save a lot of searching and creating new food groups.

I'm open to this..

Best Answer