Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data storage

ANSWERED

Hi API support forum,

we are using Fitbit Charge 2 models to collect activity data for a research study. I was wondering if there is any limit on how long data is stored? E.g. will intraday data be deleted after a certain time - 1 month, 1 year, 2 years?

Thanks,

Theresa

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

From what I understand, and keep in mind that I don't work for Fitbit, the data is preserved indefinitely and not deleted from Fitbit's server. 

For instance, I have data going back to 2/28/2011, and I'm able to retrieve the daily data, and intraday data. Also, in my dissertation research I enrolled a participant who had data going back to December 2009 (this participant was an early pre-orderer of the original Fitbit), and was able to access their data using our Fitabase data management platform.

Hope this helps!

Using Fitbits in Research? Check out Fitabase -- fitabase.com

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hi, 

I can help with this. You can view the relevant help page here on syncing devices. The important point is:

A daily sync is recommended but not required. Most Fitbit trackers record detailed minute-by-minute data for seven days. (Fitbit Alta records minute-by-minute data for five days). Fitbit trackers can store daily totals for up to 30 days.

When working with researchers we typically recommend they have participants sync devices every 5 days just to make sure there is a bit of wiggle room in there. It is very important to sync at least once every 7 days for access to minute-by-minute data for steps, activity intensity, and energy expenditure, as well as second-level heart rate data, and sleep logs. Sleep data particularly important as it is processed at Fitbits servers and needs to have access to that higher resolution data to create sleep logs. 

Hope this helps. If you have more questions about using Fitbits in research, or how you can easily access Fitbit data from 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

I can help with this. You can view the relevant help page here on syncing devices. The important point is:

A daily sync is recommended but not required. Most Fitbit trackers record detailed minute-by-minute data for seven days. (Fitbit Alta records minute-by-minute data for five days). Fitbit trackers can store daily totals for up to 30 days.

When working with researchers we typically recommend they have participants sync devices every 5 days just to make sure there is a bit of wiggle room in there. It is very important to sync at least once every 7 days for access to minute-by-minute data for steps, activity intensity, and energy expenditure, as well as second-level heart rate data, and sleep logs. Sleep data particularly important as it is processed at Fitbits servers and needs to have access to that higher resolution data to create sleep logs. 

Hope this helps. If you have more questions about using Fitbits in research, or how you can easily access Fitbit data from a unified data management suite, just let me know

Best Answer

Hi,

thanks for your fast response! I was familiar with the documentation about the duration data is stored until it needs to be synced. My question was more alluding to how long the data will be available on the API/the server once it has been synced. For example, will I still be able to access intraday data from every single day 5 years from now?

Best

Theresa

Best Answer

Did you find out by now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, unfortunately not.

Best Answer
0 Votes

From what I understand, and keep in mind that I don't work for Fitbit, the data is preserved indefinitely and not deleted from Fitbit's server. 

For instance, I have data going back to 2/28/2011, and I'm able to retrieve the daily data, and intraday data. Also, in my dissertation research I enrolled a participant who had data going back to December 2009 (this participant was an early pre-orderer of the original Fitbit), and was able to access their data using our Fitabase data management platform.

Hope this helps!

Best Answer