Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between raw data and web API

Sorry if this has been asked previously but is there any different between downloading the raw data archive and the data that is returned by the webapi? 

I know the raw data zip file has a bunch of readme files that detail the format of the json data but is there an online schema similar to the webapi data we can read to better understand if there are any differences between the webapi and raw data extracts?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @jpoyser,

When you are referring to raw data, are you referring to the data export provided at fitbit.com? If not, can you clarify what you mean?

The data export in your account settings can provide you with daily totals for your health metrics for up to 31 days at a time and display them in a readable CSV format.

Whereas, the Web APIs can provide you with more detailed health metrics such as how many calories, steps, average heart rate was recorded during each activity in a JSON format. 

You can see a schema of our documented endpoints with our Web API explorer.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your reply @JohnFitbit .

No, not the monthly data export, I was referring to the raw data we can request through the fitbit dashboard. seems to be a lot of data and just wondering if it's the same as the webapi data?

Regards

Justin

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @jpoyser 

Would you please show us where you download the raw data from the Fitbit dashboard?    I'm only aware of the monthly data export.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

i guess from this response the answer is that there isn't anything.... https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1133.htm

details how to export all your account data including the intra day data...

To export a complete archive of your Fitbit account data:

1. From the fitbit.com dashboard, click the gear icon 

2. Click Settings 

Data Export.
  3. Under Export Your Account Archive, click Request Data.
  4. You’ll receive an email at the address associated with your Fitbit account. Open the email and confirm your data archive request.
  5. You’ll receive another email with a link to download your Fitbit account data.
  6. Download and save the data file to your computer. If you have a Fitbit family account, you’ll see separate folders for each child account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

The Raw Data API queries raw data, such as 
a number of samples or the time range for a list of tags. If the count is not zero, then the API service returns the number of raw samples taken beginning from the start time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think using the term "raw data" is confusing in this scenario.   Raw data would typically reference any data pulled directly off the device.   This functionality is only available using the Device SDK and a Fitbit smart watch.   Once the device syncs with the mobile application, the data becomes processed.   

The help article demonstrate 2 ways to export your data.  The first is up to 31 days of recent data.   I believe this will only return the summary values.   The second is downloading a complete archive of your historical data.   It seems this archive does contain some intraday data.   I do see it for the physical activity data.

The Web APIs can provide you with summary and intraday where you can query your historical data over various periods of time, instead of a complete archive like the data export.   It looks like the complete archive will provide you with other metrics not available through a public API.

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @GordonFitbit the question I have is if the data and data structures are the same between the two access methodologies and if not is there a schema or more detailed documentation that details what the archive data looks like and do you think the archive is ore detailed or the same as the public api way of accessing the data. 

Cheers

Justin

Best Answer
0 Votes