Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing Experience with API on Native Android

ANSWERED

I am having a very disappointing experience with the FitBit API.. 

I am stuck at getting back the Authorization Code from the API EndPoint for several weeks now. 

On the Forum, either I get no feedback or am advised to "use a Web Backend". 

Assuming that I know how to use a Web Backend for Android. 

Questions:

- What exactly do I need to do to make the OAuth2 redirect_url work on Android? Please explain the steps to take.. 

- Let's say that I would use FireBase as a Backend, how can I make this work? Do you have sample code or tutorials on this? 

Nowhere in the Documentation is mentioned that connecting a Native Android app to the API is very difficult or even impossible, which is very strange. FitBit has so much friction on using the data from the API that it seems like they don't want people using the data on it. I expected to focus on User Experience, User Stories, Data Visualizations. Instead I am focusing on getting callbacks to work in an OAuth2 process with too many deviations..

Seriously considering to call it quits and focus on another API EndPoint, not FitBit.. 

This is a last call for help, 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@NielsWearables I'm just about ready to share the Android helper classes I've written up with you, but I'll keep them Redirect url - need URGENT advice.. thread so it’s all in one place.

But I wanted to say the Fitbit API is a gorgeous API. Thanks to Fitbit we have access to a huge amount of our information, which no other fitness site come close to offering. I have looked at other sites like Runtastic (no API), Strava (limited API), Google Fit (limited API), MyFitnessPal (no API) etc.. no one offers access to the wealth of information Fitbit does.

My view on fitness trackers is - this is my data, I should have access to it. Fitbit may gather it, but their collecting data on me. And the amount off access they already give us is unparoled by their competitors. True I would love more. A Fitbit Labs API for the OS's mood watch, tennis and think fast. Plus a FitStar API would be amazing. But I'm also happy with what we have.

So for as long as Fitbit offer this level of API access I will continue singing its praises to anyone who will listen.

Ionic & Aria, Blaze (retired), Alta (retired), Surge (retired), Charge HR (retired), One (retired), Classic (retired) | Microsoft Surface | Google Pixel 2XL Android FitBit App

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @NielsWearables, sorry to hear about your current experience! The Fitbit Web API Team is always striving to improve the overall experience that developers have in leveraging the Web API.

At the moment, we currently don't have any specific implementation documentation per platform. I did some quick research, and perhaps Android App Links may be what you're looking for. The overall goal here is for your application to capture the authorization code so you would use the app link as your redirect URL and entry point during authentication.

Hopefully this is helpful. Please report back if this works for you. We want to ensure you're successful in integrating with the Fitbit Web API!

Best Answer

Thank you for your response.. 

My goal is to create great applications, focus on customer experience.. 

I did not expect to find so much friction in accessing the data. 

It would be in the interest of FitBit to open up the data to as many competent developers as possible, this would mean more market share and a healthier bottom line for them.. 

What you see now is a good API with rich data made impotent by an OAuth2 standard that is necessary and useful, but hard to implement. You find so much libraries out there, each with their own specificities. It is hard and frustrating to work through this.. 

@stuartma has been a great support since a couple of days in finding an "external-library-free" solution for implementing OAuth2 on Android. I think the Forum, the users and the company would profit greatly from standardising an OAuth2 procedure for a number of platforms. This could greatly reduce friction in accessing the API. 

I hope to facilitate this process a bit, I am not technical enough to write the code per platform. Maybe there are others out there who can? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NielsWearables I'm just about ready to share the Android helper classes I've written up with you, but I'll keep them Redirect url - need URGENT advice.. thread so it’s all in one place.

But I wanted to say the Fitbit API is a gorgeous API. Thanks to Fitbit we have access to a huge amount of our information, which no other fitness site come close to offering. I have looked at other sites like Runtastic (no API), Strava (limited API), Google Fit (limited API), MyFitnessPal (no API) etc.. no one offers access to the wealth of information Fitbit does.

My view on fitness trackers is - this is my data, I should have access to it. Fitbit may gather it, but their collecting data on me. And the amount off access they already give us is unparoled by their competitors. True I would love more. A Fitbit Labs API for the OS's mood watch, tennis and think fast. Plus a FitStar API would be amazing. But I'm also happy with what we have.

So for as long as Fitbit offer this level of API access I will continue singing its praises to anyone who will listen.

Ionic & Aria, Blaze (retired), Alta (retired), Surge (retired), Charge HR (retired), One (retired), Classic (retired) | Microsoft Surface | Google Pixel 2XL Android FitBit App
Best Answer