Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Surge/Charge HR Data

ANSWERED

Hi There Guys,

We would like to inquire about the data being tracked by the Fitbit Surge and Fitbit Charge HR and where those data (i.e Steps, Heartrate) goes into what endpoint in your API. Hope you can help us with this. Thanks in advance.

Best,

Mark Salcedo

Team Member, Validic

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

We're currently not exposing heart rate.

Information about all other FitbitAPI endpoints you can get here: https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/Fitbit+API

Ivan Bahdanau
Senior Software Developer at Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Mark,

I wrote about them a little bit in the October announcements. We definitely will be providing new time series endpoints for heart rate and GPS exercises, but we don't have a timeframe to share just yet. These endpoints will be exclusively available via OAuth 2.0 and we are still preparing everything to make this a smooth transition.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

We're currently not exposing heart rate.

Information about all other FitbitAPI endpoints you can get here: https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/Fitbit+API

Ivan Bahdanau
Senior Software Developer at Fitbit
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Mark,

I wrote about them a little bit in the October announcements. We definitely will be providing new time series endpoints for heart rate and GPS exercises, but we don't have a timeframe to share just yet. These endpoints will be exclusively available via OAuth 2.0 and we are still preparing everything to make this a smooth transition.

Best Answer

Hey Jeremiah,

Do you know when will these new endpoints (heart rate and GPS exercises) be available? I'm currently working on a project that involves cancer patients at a hospital, and we'd love to be using fitbit as our sensors, but we need those endpoints.

Thank you! 

Best Regards,

Faris

Best Answer
0 Votes

These endpoints will be available in Q1.

Best Answer

Thats great to hear.  Is there a mailing list of some kind for when general availability is announced?  In the meantime, is there a Beta program I can apply for?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jwdaigle wrote:

Thats great to hear.  Is there a mailing list of some kind for when general availability is announced?  In the meantime, is there a Beta program I can apply for?

We will email anyone who has an application registered at https://dev.fitbit.com/ . We don't have any early access planned.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since Q1 is now well into its final third, any news on the new API?

Thanks

Mars

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have a question / request regarding heart data from the Charge HR .I have a variety of heart rhythm anomalies. Currently available means to obtain continuous evaluation of rhythm anomalies are expensive and impractical. So I got my Charge HR to help with assessment and monitoring of my condition. Basic rate information has been helpful, but more detailed information is needed.

The Charge HR may be part of an effective solution for this, if the timestamps of each detected heartbeat (as opposed to processed / averaged heart rates over time) are available via the API so that some fairly simple statistical processing can be done.

I am researching the processing, and plan to write the software, that would be required for a solution like this, but will need the unprocessed heartbeat timestamps. Will the new API provide access to the data at this level?

Best Answer

@billcompton wrote:

I also have a question / request regarding heart data from the Charge HR .I have a variety of heart rhythm anomalies. Currently available means to obtain continuous evaluation of rhythm anomalies are expensive and impractical. So I got my Charge HR to help with assessment and monitoring of my condition. Basic rate information has been helpful, but more detailed information is needed.

The Charge HR may be part of an effective solution for this, if the timestamps of each detected heartbeat (as opposed to processed / averaged heart rates over time) are available via the API so that some fairly simple statistical processing can be done.

I am researching the processing, and plan to write the software, that would be required for a solution like this, but will need the unprocessed heartbeat timestamps. Will the new API provide access to the data at this level?

The Charge HR and Surge devices themselves measure heart rate (beats per minute) at second-level intervals. They do not report individual heart beats.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey Jeremiah and others,

I see you mention that the devices themselves measure at the second-level interval. Has the team announced which heart rate interval level be exposed via the API (and if Partner API)? I did some searching but I couldn't find this as it relates to the unreleased endpoints. Either way, super psyched to start working with this data!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@johndonmoyer wrote:
I see you mention that the devices themselves measure at the second-level interval. Has the team announced which heart rate interval level be exposed via the API (and if Partner API)? I did some searching but I couldn't find this as it relates to the unreleased endpoints. Either way, super psyched to start working with this data!

Heart rate data takes several forms: a second-level time series, a single daily value for resting heart rate, and daily summary that includes time and calories in all the heart rate zones. With the exception of resting heart rate, these values are also provided in the context of a logged exercise activity.

GPS is only ever recorded during an exercise activity and initially will only be available in the context of a logged exercise activity.

Partner API access is required for second-level heart rate data. It is not required for GPS and daily heart rate data.

Best Answer

@JeremiahFitbit wrote:

These endpoints will be available in Q1.

Cough...

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Jeremiah,

Will steps, caloriesOut, distance etc of Charge, Charge HR and Surge be available through API-Get-Activities and API-Get-Time-Series endpoints? If not, could you please tell me the right APIs to get those data from the new devices? 

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes