Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Number of Subscription Notifications for Some Users

ANSWERED

We are seeing a few instances where users are getting several dozen subscription notifications in a single hour. This is causing us to exceed the rate limit for the user. We make 2 call to Fitbit for each subscription notification - one to get the user's time zone from their profile, and then one to get the activity data.

It's not causing loss of data because once the rate limit is cleared, we will get the data with the next request, or during the nightly reconciliation process. However, this behavior does not seem optimal, and is filling our logs with nuisance error messages.

For instance, on January 23rd, the one user received 95 subscription notifications within the 19:00 hour (UTC).

[Let me know if you want IDs for the environment and user]

1. Is the high number subscription notifications expected in some scenarios?

2. What's the best way to handle as far as rate limit?

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Jeff_New_Ocean ... We did receive the case and looking into it.   

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @Jeff_New_Ocean 

I'm not aware of any problems with our services that would cause an influx of notifications.   I have seen where the tracker and mobile app get stuck in a syncing loop.   This would cause an influx of notifications.   Would you please submit a support request at https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/help/ so we can collect the sensitive information (user ids) from you if needed?   When you report the issue through the web site, if you have a scenario that occurred within the last 5 days, would you please provide details on that use case?

Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer

Thanks @GordonFitbit. Ticket submitted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GordonFitbit I submitted a ticket using the form at the link above. Not sure if I messed it up - I used the wrong email (jhumphry@aol.com instead of jeff.humphry@newoceanhealth.com). I replied to the ticket to fix that up, but haven't heard anything back since I submitted. 

Also, should I mark your reply as best answer to close out and work off the support ticket?

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Jeff_New_Ocean ... We did receive the case and looking into it.   

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer