Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inspire 2 reports "out of range" heart rate when device is not being worn?

I am using the api /activities/heart/date/ to retrieve heart rate data for users wearing the Inspire 2. I've found that the "heartRateZones" data always suggests that the device is being worn for 24 hours, which can't be the case. The 4 zones "Out of range", "Fat burn", "Cardio" and "Peak" always add up to 1440, even though the minimum heart rate for "Out of range" is non zero e.g 30 -109. 

Is this a known issue? My aim was to use this api call to calculate wear time (by adding minutes in each zone).

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @Ed_D 

Would you please provide an example of what the heartRateZone data looks like for this user?

Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

heartRateZones":[{"caloriesOut":1876.1995699999998,"max":109,"min":30,"minutes":1310,"name":"Out of Range"},{"caloriesOut":486.3894700000002,"max":127,"min":109,"minutes":128,"name":"Fat Burn"},{"caloriesOut":9.16552,"max":149,"min":127,"minutes":2,"name":"Cardio"},{"caloriesOut":0,"max":220,"min":149,"minutes":0,"name":"Peak"}]

On another project using an older fitbit device, I'm using the same api call but the values for most users don't add to 1440 (see below for an example). Has there been a software update at some point that could explain this, and you now always report "out of zone" even when the device isn't worn and no heart rate is detected?

Doesn't add to 1440:

"heartRateZones":[{"caloriesOut":1527.464,"max":75,"min":30,"minutes":1093,"name":"Out of Range"},{"caloriesOut":1220.35425,"max":105,"min":75,"minutes":232,"name":"Fat Burn"},{"caloriesOut":345.3185,"max":127,"min":105,"minutes":42,"name":"Cardio"},{"caloriesOut":20.5995,"max":220,"min":127,"minutes":2,"name":"Peak"}]

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Ed_D 

It's my understanding that the heart rate zone data is just showing when the user is active, or in other words fat burn, cardio or peak zones.   Anything outside of those 3 zones is considered "out of range".   We attempt to estimate the number of calories burned for each heart rate zone.  Even if a user is not wearing the device, we still represent the calories burned information in the heart rate zones output.

We're do periodically update our firmware that gets install on the Fitbit devices.  I know we have updates to the heart rate component to improve its accuracy.   Without knowing the older device you reference, it difficult to determine what the latest version of the firmware that is available.   Can you provide me with the older device name that you want to know if we have updates to the firmware?

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes