Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integrate Fitbit Web API with Open Source Electronic Medical Record System

Hi, I'm new to the fitbit developer community.

I'd like to write code to enable clinicians using an Open Source Electronic Healthcare Record/clinic management system to be able to view their patients' wearable device data.

I saw that the fitbit users could download their data to their phone/laptop/device using the web after logging into their fitbit account.  My initial thought was to add a screen to the patient portal(written in PHP) that allows patients to upload the files where it would then be parsed by the EMR.  This seems pretty inelegant and requires two logins.

I'd like to look into using the WebAPI.  I'm wondering would each EMR installation require its own API?  We'd like to allow the patient to enable access to only specific clinics that they visit.

Does this seem feasible?  Any advice?

Thanks,

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @RachelElli,

Welcome to the forums!

I recommend developing a separate application for each clinic instead of having a single application for multiple clinics.

This is so that the user is presented with a separate consent screen for each clinic, and each clinic must display their own Privacy Policy and Terms of Conditions in their consent screen at the time of user authorization.

With an app for each clinic, the user can manage their consents for each app through their Fitbit app settings.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi John, thanks for the reply.

That makes sense on having a separate application for each clinic.

Are there any example setups I could take a look at?  Are the Privacy Policy and Terms and Conditions displayed via the fitbit app or should it be shown on a web page of the patient portal?

Thanks,

-Rachel

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @RachelElli 

We don't have a lot of sample code available, but here's a link that might get you started: https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/community-resources/.  If the programming language you're using isn't listed on this page, then I would recommend searching for some on the internal or post a request here with what you're looking for.  Maybe someone from the developer community has some good sample code.

When you register the various applications on the dev.fitbit.com portal, the privacy policy and terms of service values you provide will be presented to the user when the consent screen is presented to the user.  If you want to make certain the participants review the legal docs, you may want to add additional screens to the patient portal.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes