Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intraday data now immediately available to personal apps

Fitbit introduced the intraday time series API endpoints in 2011. These endpoints contain the most detailed data recorded by Fitbit devices, such as second-level BPM heart rate measurement and minute-level step counts. These endpoints have always required use-case review.

Fitbit is introducing a new type of application classification: personal app. Starting today, people using the Fitbit Web API for their own personal use no longer need to go through the use-case review process. Access to the intraday time series is immediately available to any application classified as a personal app.

Only the developer who registered a personal app will be able to authorize the app. Developers wanting to access intraday time series data of other people will still need to request use-case review. Only select non-personal apps are granted access to the intraday time series.

Existing applications may be reclassified as personal apps. To do so, edit your app settings at https://dev.fitbit.com/apps . For the "OAuth 2.0 Application Type" setting, check the "Personal App" type.

oauth-2-persona-app-type.png

Reclassifying a "Server" or "Client" app as a "Personal App" will cause all existing access tokens to be revoked, which cannot be undone. (Subscriptions for a user are also removed when a user's access token is revoked.) Apps later can be reclassified as "Server" or "Client", but existing access tokens will be revoked and access to the intraday time series will require use-case review.

We know Fitbit users love playing with their data. The new "personal app" classification will allow you to get started  with the Fitbit Web API faster than ever.

This topic is for discussion of the new "personal app" classification. Off-topic discussions will be moderated.

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

@tvignaud It's not possible to get raw accelerometer data. Fitbit trackers don't store or transmit raw accelerometer data.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've developed a web site (Client ID: 2286HQ) using the 'personal' app type that lets me download my heartrate data as a CSV (for importing into Excel, etc).

I'm a bit unclear on the interpretation of 'the owner of the app only' for web sites. Does this mean 'the current user of the site' or 'the developer of the site'? If the former, I could make it available for others to use.

Thanks!

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Gondwana The owner of the app refers to the account you used to register the app at: https://dev.fitbit.com/apps/new

What motivates you?

Best Answer

@AndrewFitbitAh. Thanks for the quick reply, especially at this time of year.

I won't bother making it user-friendly, then!

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this appropriate for use while developing an application?

Also, is this appropriate for an application which is publicly-accessible but only uses my own data, e.g. an application that exposes my data to other people?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried to get the heart rate data (minute and second level) through the "OAuth Tutorial" page, but get a response the request isn't valid. I did pick my app as personal. What am I missing?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bluefoxicy Seems fine.

@raoloka Can I see the call you're making?

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AndrewFitbitHere is what the "tutorial page" constructed for my query (based on my choices, checking just heart rate (I removed the authorization header) ...

GET https://api.fitbit.com/1/user/-/profile.json

Looking at the response at hurl.it, it appears the problem may be with the tutorial page (instead of the API's). After visiting the API docs, I was able to edit the calls and get the time series data I was looking for.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am wanting to see the minute by minute step count with my Fitbit Zip but I am not sure how I need to complete the personal app page to get the data I am looking for.  Could you give me a step by step process of how I can set this up?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LaurenUNA.. Take a look at the sample available at https://github.com/Stasonis/fitbit-api-example-android ..

I was able to modify it and superimpose the heart rate data on to the .tcx file I could get from Strava for my bike rides.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey jeremiah 

From where I can request for intraday time series? Can you give me a link for it where i can submit my request?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Govida,

Welcome to the forums!

You can apply for intraday access here.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

I am still waiting for response to the Intradata request I submitted last
week for GoVida.

My Client ID is 22B9HN and the email address I submitted was
chris.tomkinson@govida.co.uk -

Can you help?

Many Thanks Chris
Best Answer
0 Votes