Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest SDK supported by Fitbit

ANSWERED

Hi,

I was looking at this page: https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/API+Client+Libraries

I was under the impression that Fitbit4J was the implementation that is supported by FitBit, but on this page, it has been crossed out and marked 'Deprecated'. But all the API documentation on the wiki pages is still based on this version it seems.

Could you please clarify if that is the case or is Fitbit + Twilio Node.js the latest and correct API?

Thanks,
hwcir

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@hwcir wrote:

In that case, if I understand correctly, per what Jeremiah states, I should use a different library for OAuth and then make REST service calls directly, instead of going via fitbit4j client jar. Is that correct? Also, couuld you confirm that fitbit4j will still be around for sometime.

Thanks

hwcir

Correct, we highly recommend using a popular well supported and tested OAuth library in the language you are developing in.

Fitbit4J is open source and I don't forsee that source repository being deleted. You are more than welcome to fork the repo on Github and maintain your own copy of the code as well.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

The Fitbit4J library is indeed deprecated and the Fitbit + Twilio Node.js is a demonstration/example rather than a client library. Note that Fitbit4J is Java and Fitbit + Twilio Node.js is Node.js.

What language are you developing in?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit currently does not have any official SDKs. I suggest that you find the best OAuth 1.0a library for your preferred language and framework and use it with the Fitbit API.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi dchen,

I am developing in JAVA. We have developed our application based on Fitbit4j as that is supported and maintained current by Fitbit. You still intend to support it, correct? What are the implications of deprecating fitbit4j for us?

Thanks,

hwcir

Best Answer
0 Votes

@hwcir wrote:

Hi dchen,

I am developing in JAVA. We have developed our application based on Fitbit4j as that is supported and maintained current by Fitbit. You still intend to support it, correct? What are the implications of deprecating fitbit4j for us?

Thanks,

hwcir

We no longer actively maintain nor develop the library. If something in the library breaks, theres no guarantee we will fix it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In that case, if I understand correctly, per what Jeremiah states, I should use a different library for OAuth and then make REST service calls directly, instead of going via fitbit4j client jar. Is that correct? Also, couuld you confirm that fitbit4j will still be around for sometime.

Thanks

hwcir

Best Answer
0 Votes

@hwcir wrote:

Thanks

hwcir

Correct, we highly recommend using a popular well supported and tested OAuth library in the language you are developing in.

Fitbit4J is open source and I don't forsee that source repository being deleted. You are more than welcome to fork the repo on Github and maintain your own copy of the code as well.

Best Answer

Thanks! Just a note, it might be good idea to remove the line

"To help you start implementing Fitbit API in your applications we provide reference implementation of the Fitbit API client library in Java (Fitbit4J). This library is supported by Fitbit team and maintained up-to-date with all API developments."

from this page: https://wiki.fitbit.com/display/API/API+Client+Libraries

It will help to avoid any confusions...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, hwcir. I have removed that from the documentation.

Best Answer
0 Votes