Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to force a sync programmatically?

Fitbit on Android: if I have another app running on the same phone that's used to synchronize the tracker with fitbit.com servers, is there any way for my app to force a sync?

I know that the tracker typically syncs automatically every 15-20 mins (though in my recent API testing the Charge HR was actually closer to 5-10 mins). The problem is that we're developing algorithms that predict core temperature about 20 minutes into the future based on the current physiology data, so even a 5-10 minute delay is significant. I don't need the device to sync more frequently on a regular basis, but when the user launches our app it would be great if we could make an API request, use some Android-specific way of communicating with the Fitbit app, or even send a command to the tracker directly that would force it to upload all current data to the servers so that we could then grab it via the intraday API.

If nothing like this is possible right now, any chance of this becoming an option in the next 1-2 years? Alternatively, are you expecting future trackers to stay with the 15-20 min sync interval or is the eventual goal to get it as close to real time as possible?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@bhsai wrote:

Fitbit on Android: if I have another app running on the same phone that's used to synchronize the tracker with fitbit.com servers, is there any way for my app to force a sync?

There is not.

Sorry, we don't comment on future product plans.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just need to know how to manually force a sync -- anyone know?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JRONeill The user of a Fitbit can force a sync via one of the Fitbit mobile apps (Windows Phone, iOS, Android) or using the Fitbit Connect application. (MacOS, Windows)  In both cases you use the Sync Now option. (Though I think all of the mobile apps start a sync every time they are started.)

There is no way for an application to trigger a sync via the Fitbit API.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Bhsai,

Sorry this is super late. 

I noticed you mentioned that you can retrieve data that had been synced only 20 mins ish before. As I am relatively new to the fitbit scene, could you please tell me how to do this? Or like link me to somewhere that explains it.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @SL-MASTER 

Are you asking how to enable the automatic sync that occurs everyone 15 minutes?

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes