Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on making a new app

I want to make a fitbit app (to use the api) but after reading the documentation, I have a couple of questions. 

We have a long term walking challenge going on across a group of friends (30 or so). Many of these people have fitbits (including myself) so I thought it would be really convenient if I could write something simple to pull in our steps so we don't have to manaully update all the time. It looks like I have to register an app to do this.

What Oauth 2 type do I need? It sounds like I would just need Server, but then I noticed that there's a note about Personal having exclusive access to some data. I just want to pull total steps per day. Do I need Personal or Server or Client?

Is my app public? I'm only building this for our small group so I don't want this app to appear in a public directory where others might mistakenly try to use it. Is it not visible by default or is there something I need to do to make it invisible?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I have no answers, but am trying to do something similar in creating an app for a limited, private group. Did you ever figure this out?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kinda. I used Personal for Oauth and it worked without issue in my tests. Regarding the public app question I'm guessing that it's not part of some directory but rather information to show the user when they agree to give your app permission to access their account. 

Hope that helps. I haven't released what I'm working on just yet, so I'll update if I find something surprising when I do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update on this - Personal is not the way to go. As soon as someone else hit it they were refused access. (In retrospect I should have noticed the bolded text in the docs that said "...of the owner of the app only.") Switching it to Server was no big deal though, just a change in the app management. Now it's working just fine. 

One last thing - I don't know what language you're using to build yours, but I'm using python and I've found that this library works pretty well. http://python-fitbit.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the info. I'm doing a native Android app, so Java, but I do know python, so looking at the docs might give me some guidance.

Best Answer
0 Votes