Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refresh token is invalid from Jan 23 2019

We have been using Fitbit API since 4 years and we are into a situation where more than 2000+ user Refresh token has become invalid starting from 23 Jan 2019. We cannot get all the 2000+ user to Authenticate Fitbit to our Web service as we do not store their email id Or contact info. 

We are Syncing the Fitbit user activity and nutrition data by specific time interval on our server. It was working fine until that day and stopped syncing the data. When checked we are receiving the invalid refresh token error message. We need a quick solution for getting the new refresh token for further data sync and reporting. 

We are on oAuth 2.0 protocol implemented.

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Hum, and I was thinking that I was alone on this, but it seems more people are being affected by the same situation.

@FitbitCould you please give it a look?

Best Answer

@shashi and @catteneo22, would you please private message me a couple of user ids that you're having trouble with the refresh tokens?   I'll do some investigation on our side.

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 

Basically we would be providing trackers to our players to monitor their activities.. So we would like players to authorize our application in order to track their activities.. I need help in these cases

1. How can i get list of users who authorized my application?

2. How can i get activities of all users who authorized my application?

3. Each time do i need to save refresh access token to access my user's activities or can i have any permanent token?

Hoping for your support..

Regards,

Ananthan

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having a similar issue and sent Gordon a PM as he requested above from the OP. Should I open a new issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Kevin_H 

Thank you for sending me the additional information.  I'll research the problem and get back to you.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Kevin_H 

Thank you letting me know the problem correlated with a system loss on your end.   

Best regards,

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Best Answer
0 Votes

For the benefit of anyone else who might be helped by knowing how I messed up, it was following an event that required restoring the DB from backup, and the restored tokens had been refreshed in the meantime. Of course, in the spirit of classic programmer blame deflection, it's a pity the Fitbit elected to return a new refresh token on every refresh (OAuth2 spec says it's optional). This actually has a significant side effect in that it limits recoverability in the (vanishingly rare) case where the refresh request makes it to Fitbit but the response gets lost. 

Best Answer
0 Votes