Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scraping data from multiple users

I am conducting a study with multiple participants and want to use the Web API (or any programming language-based) to scrape data from all our users without needing to login in to each one.

I am just looking for a script that will be run by the researcher only, so not sure what to put as Application Website URL, Terms of Service URL etc. We will be setting up the Fitbits for the participants, so do not need all these URLs.
I've looked at python and R packages, but they look outdated (e.g. supports python 2.7)

Any guidance will help.

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @Assafgo,

"Scraping" data is probably a poor choice of words since the users need to authorize access to their data before you can access it.   However, once the user consents to share their data with your application/script, you won't need to log into the user's accounts.

Regarding your question about the fields, how did people find out how your research study, understand what the data is going to be used for, and sign off on sharing their data with your study?   

You can use any version of the python or R package as long as the functionality supports your needs, and there is a supported OAuth2 library.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply. I meant batch download and I only now found where we can authorize the users without using a programming language.

The study is a clinical study, so the participant consent process is very structured and goes through many institutional regulations beyond what Fitbit is requiring.

Best Answer
0 Votes