Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription Endpoint Disabled

Is it just me, or is anyone else finding the subscription endpoints being notoriously unreliable? It seems like every couple of days, my subscription is disabled for no apparent reason. The email I get says my application "was failing to respond properly to notification requests from the Fitbit API, so your subscriber was disabled," but when I check the details, the last 1000 notifications posted fine. Not a single miss, and the longest delivery time it shows my server taking to handle it was 240ms. I can't figure out any reason for this, and it's been happening all month long with no rhyme or reason that I can figure out.

Dec 7th, 4:00AM

Dec 13th 2:00AM

Dec 15th 3:00PM

Dec 16th 1:00PM

Dec 19th 4:00PM

Dec 21st 9:00PM

Dec 27th 2:00PM

Dec 29th 11:00PM

On a related matter, if I had a wishlist, I don't feel that Fitbit handles these sorts of failures very well. It would be a lot easier and more convenient for me if, when Fitbit thinks my server isn't handling something very well, it first sent a warning with a more specific reason of the problem and second, if it slowed down notifications rather than stop them completely. When Fitbit detects a problem, maybe it's a temporary issue--like I'm running backups so things are slow. So pause notifications for a minute or two and try again. Send an email with a detailed description of the problem detected, though.

If there's still a problem, after a 1 minute pause, extend the pause to 5 minutes. Then 15 minutes. Then an hour. Maybe, if the problem doesn't resolve itself, check once a day for a month before disabling the subscription permanently. I'm often on the trail hiking for one or two weeks at a time and can't get online to enable the subscriber endpoint that was disabled for no good reason as far as I can tell.

It just feels like the subscription model is a little too sensitive to problems.

Take a virtual walk on Walking 4 Fun!
Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Yep, add another disabled event to my previous list. It stopped sending notifications again at 3:00PM December 30th. All 1000 of the last notifications recorded 0 failures, but it was still disabled for absolutely no reason I could figure out.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @GreenTortuga 

Thank you for reporting your subscriber has been repeatedly disabled.   I'll research this for you.   Would you please confirm the timezone of the timestamps you provided?   

Thanks!

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm currently in the Central European timezone, and my computer should be displaying the email notifications using that timezone. I was on Pacific time until about halfway through December, but I think my email program automatically adjusted the times it showed me so they're all on Central European time.

Best Answer
0 Votes