Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terms of Service questions

Hi all. I've been directed here by FitBit Support to ask some questions about the Terms of Service of the web API.

If a FitBit user creates an app (using the dev.fitbit.com website) can that app squirt their data to a 3rd party for analysis?

If that 3rd party presents the user's data in a dashboard of graphs and charts, is the user breaking any of the FitBit ToS?

If the same 3rd party hosts the user's app (e.g. in a style similar to Heroku) what exactly is the relationship between the 3rd party and FitBit regarding the ToS? The user has created the app, after all, and could host it anywhere -- it just happens to be with the same 3rd party who is providing graphs and charts.

I ask because the ToS of the web API say that developers cannot produce services that compete with FitBit's services, and FitBit of course displays users' data as graphs and charts.

Presumably the 3rd party is not breaking any ToS, since the user is the one who has created the app, and the user's app is accessing the API.

Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

Hi mods -  @AndrewFitbit -- just checking, am I asking this question in the right forum? Could really do with some clarity about this, the Support Desk directed me here but I'm still no wiser! Cat Embarassed

Best Answer
0 Votes

@austin_p we received your question and our legal team is working on response.

Best Answer

Great, many thanks for the update, and I look forward to the response.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@austin_p,

Thanks again for your questions. The use cases you’re describing are okay for your personal use. Enjoy use of your app!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi again. Thanks for taking the time to look at this and get back to me 🙂

Unfortunately I'm still not totally clear on this. Can I clarify that FitBit are happy with the following:

1. I create a FitBit web app using dev.fitbit.com.
  2. MegaCorp offer a Heroku-style app/API hosting service. I fire-up such an app at MegaCorp, hosted at my-app.megacorp.com. MegaCorp charge me for hosting, bandwidth, etc.
  3. I arrange for my FitBit web app to send my personal FitBit data to my-app.megacorp.com
  4. my-app.megacorp.com presents me with a dashboard, charts, data analysis, etc.

Can I clarify - FitBit have no issue with this arrangement? I'm not going to lose access to the FitBit API or have my web app stopped?

Edit: I guess I'm also concerned that FitBit might object to MegaCorp and block access to them. What exactly is the relationship between FitBit and MegaCorp, supposing thousands of FitBit users start using MegaCorp's Heroku-style service to host apps that analyse data from FitBit?

Thanks! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Austin, let's take that discussion offline as it will be easier to understand what you are looking for.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Fred,

I share similar concerns. Because of our developed research WebApp to analyse HR data we’ve caused some extra Fitbit sales. So we are doing well for Fitbit I guess.

Nevertheless I am cautious launching a new pilot with 100 new Fitbits because the risk that Fitbit might kill the data transfer. That would be devastating for our trustworthyness and it would end our efforts to develop someting serious. I would like Fitbit to be clear whether we can go forward or not.

As of today new research subjects seem to be requested to include two new url’s when registering our App.

*Terms of service url

*Privacy policy url

What is meant? Url’s of our own policies or the Fitbit policies? And does Fitbit claim time to review and approve our own policies?

If Fitbit does add new mandatory requests during the course of our research pilot we will be forced to find out what is going on and solve it before we can continue. I would appreciate a flawless pilotproject. Can Fitbit inform me in advance when mandatory new fields to complete when registering the app will appear?

regards,

Auke

Best Answer

Hi @AukeL, unfortunately, I'm no legal expert so I'm not the right person to answer your questions. I'll try to find the right channel for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK, thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Fred,

Did you find the appropriate expert already? I was considering to purchase 100 Fitbit Charge 2 devices. But if we cannot be sure that we can transfer data with our registered WebApp we will not proceed.

pls inform me in due course what to do

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AukeL: those links are required when you create an APP using our Web API. We want to be sure you have a privacy policy so the data you are reading from our database is secure. As for what you can and can't do, please read the Fitbit Platform Terms of Service. Does that make sense?

Best Answer
0 Votes