Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track calories burned during exercise

Hi everyone. 

I have purchased FitBit Inspire 3 to be used in a personal/university project of mine. 

The goal, as mentioned in the title is to track calories burned during exercise. 

After I complete an exercise and it appears on my FitBit dashboard, when I click on it, I see the following chart, which is exactly what I want to recreate using either exported data from FitBit or a response from an API endpoint. fitbitchart.PNG

In this chart we see cals/min values on a per second basis. 

I have tried to export FitBit data through Google Takeout, and also export the exercise in TCX format. No such data available, not that I could find at least. 
Browsing through the API, I believe the most relevant endpoint for my query would be "Get Activity Intraday by Interval", but from what I see in the Documentation, that would at best take me to minute-level data, not second-level, as we see in the chart in the dashboard. 

So, to wrap this up, the short question is, how would one go about recreating a chart as the one above?

Many thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @fitburner 

You are correct that the Activity Intraday endpoint will provide you with the calories / min data to recreate the chart.  If you notice in the chart, the calories burned over a period of a single minute stays constant.   The slider bar is showing seconds but the data over a single minute is still constant.  Calories / second is not available.  If calories / second were available, you would see the calories burned change over the length of a single minute.  

Best,

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @GordonFitbit ,

Many thanks for the quick response.

I've played around a bit with the particular API endpoint, and indeed, I can recreate the chart as envisioned. 

I have another question, for which I suspect what the correct answer is, but also wanted to ask your for confirmation. 

Lets say that among all other datapoints, I get the following (it's not actual data, I just use random values):

time: 16:41:00, value (calories): 10.57897 (lets call this number A)

The question is, does number A correspond to calories burnt from 16:40:01 to 16:41:00 or from 16:41:00 to 16:41:59?

Many thanks for your consideration

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @fitburner 

From what I can tell, it looks like the calorie burn value comes from the previous period.   So, in your example 10.57897 calories were burned from 16:40:01 - 16:41:00.

Gordon

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes