Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the Bluetooth SDK? Can my app communicate directly with the Fitbit tracker?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit devices only sync through the Fitbit app. The device data is then immediately available via the API for third-party applications that a Fitbit user has authorized.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Suganthan wrote:

I have went through BLUETOOTH developer forum, it is telling that we can directly interact with BLE devices and read and write datas. But I want to know about some medical devices which supports direct access to their device, by the way we can directly access the data from the medical device. Is their any devices like this in market whether Fitbit devices will support direct access to the device

Fitbit trackers can only communicate over BLE with Fitbit's apps at this time.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
52 REPLIES 52

Why is this?  For Android and iOS devices this may be fine, but for users of Windows Phone devices, when you don't make a WP app available, sort of leaves us out in the cold. 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

@abecvar wrote:

Why is this?  For Android and iOS devices this may be fine, but for users of Windows Phone devices, when you don't make a WP app available, sort of leaves us out in the cold. 😞

An official Fitbit app for Windows Phone is now listed as "under review". Fitbit is developing an application for Windows Phone 8.1.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have went through BLUETOOTH developer forum, it is telling that we can directly interact with BLE devices and read and write datas. But I want to know about some medical devices which supports direct access to their device, by the way we can directly access the data from the medical device. Is their any devices like this in market whether Fitbit devices will support direct access to the device

I know this Fitbit will allow server access but not sure about direct access. Any suggestion would be helpful

Thanks in Advance

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Suganthan wrote:

Fitbit trackers can only communicate over BLE with Fitbit's apps at this time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I would like to create my own Android app, but for my objective I need to have real time access to the raw data of the fitbit, is there any new android SDK to have access to that data? or the only solution to interact with fitbit is through server?

Thanks! !Robot Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

The closest thin you can do is to use Fitbit Subscriptions API.

This will allow your appto be notified with push notification righat after user's data had been updated.

https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/subscriptions/

Please beware that it still does not guarantees real time updates, you only will be getting updates from the device after they synced to the fitbit website.

Moderator edit: updated link

Ivan Bahdanau
Senior Software Developer at Fitbit
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

I know that there are APIs to interact with fitbit platform in the cloud.

I'm an embedded engineer and I'd love to interact with fitbit charge using BLE channel directly from a smartphone or from an embedded system like Arduino, Raspberry Pi ....

Do you have Bluetooth APIs available to communicate with fitbit ? It could be interesting in the actual Internet of Things worlds 🙂

Thanks,

Paolo.

Best Answer

Good afternoon @ppatierno 

Moved your question to the API section to increase the chance of getting a solution faster.

Have a nice day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello.

Nope we currently do not allow to communicate directly over the bluetooth.

Ivan Bahdanau
Senior Software Developer at Fitbit
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there an SDK available to do development for the Fitbit surge? For example creating new clock faces?

Best Answer

@tommy_ 

Moved your question to the Web API section to increase the chance of getting a solution. Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @tommy_, we don't have an SDK for Surge, but thanks for letting us know that you're interested in one.

Best Answer

Every message thread I read on this forum states that the BLE interface and raw sensor streaming are not available. I am developing fitness apps and games for android wearables. They require real time streaming of accelerometer and gyro data.

By closing these low level functions to developers, you are limiting a rich ecosystem from forming. The wearable market is growing like crazy and a competitor might be right around the corner with an open interface to low level sensor data. Once this occurs (and it already is with devices such as MOOV), developers would be more inclined to move to these platforms.

iPhones and Android phones provide access to low level functions. Would you please explain your concerns?

Best regards.

Jamie

Moderator note: merged duplicate issue

Best Answer

@analogjedi wrote:

Every message thread I read on this forum states that the BLE interface and raw sensor streaming are not available. I am developing fitness apps and games for android wearables. They require real time streaming of accelerometer and gyro data.

By closing these low level functions to developers, you are limiting a rich ecosystem from forming. The wearable market is growing like crazy and a competitor might be right around the corner with an open interface to low level sensor data. Once this occurs (and it already is with devices such as MOOV), developers would be more inclined to move to these platforms.

iPhones and Android phones provide access to low level functions. Would you please explain your concerns?

Best regards.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

We share your enthusiasm for the possibilities of connected sensors. Fitbit trackers are optimized for personal wellness. We prioritize battery life over constant connectivity. BLE communication is one of the most power expensive operations trackers do. We must also accomodate a limited storage constraint. Raw data is very large. The raw data analyzed and only the result of that analysis is stored. We further process that data on the server after it's uploaded. We've made very intentional decisions about how the devices can best serve our user experience, but understand that they might not best serve yours. We're always looking to improve our products and appreciate your feedback.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have any plans to give developers a SDK for Surge?

Is there any possibility to develop applets that customize Surge (like a simple app for Stopwatch).

Surge could have a lot of potential like ms band, fitbit developers can make the difference 🙂

Best Answer

I'd like to add a +1 to this.
I'm teaching myself Java and app development and I think this would be a greate way to extend the training I am doing. A lot of potential here if made available.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can see why you would not allow comunication over Bluetooth directly, but considering the windows phone app doesn't yet have call/text notifications built in, and with no news as to when this will be (if ever) built in, you are leaving us WP users out in the code with no way to develop our own solution...

Best Answer
0 Votes

@robe16 wrote:

I can see why you would not allow comunication over Bluetooth directly, but considering the windows phone app doesn't yet have call/text notifications built in, and with no news as to when this will be (if ever) built in, you are leaving us WP users out in the code with no way to develop our own solution...

@robe16 The Fitbit manager over the WP app has repeatedly said that they will be bring notifications to WP as soon as they can.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Michael

I only just got my first fitbit two weeks ago, and don't get me wrong, the app is far better than others I have seen/experienced. I bought the Surge under the assumption it had call notification, only to discover after some heavy online trawling that it wasn't on the WP yet (admittedly, my own fault for not properly chacking in advance, but I'm still in love with my FB device!!).

Having read all the forums, I know they will be bringing it out as soon as possible - my comment was approaching it from somebody who has recently got into the development/coding area creating my own Java apps. There is a massive developer community out there that I am sure would help to solve any issues that may be causing fitibit the delays in bringing the functions out for the WP app - all for free if some (not necessarily all) of the code is made opensource?

Just a thought really... 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes